How I changed a "meh" Bionic to WOW.

beef5stew

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so I bought into the Bionic hype and was excitied when it came out. I was coming from a tricked out Droid Incredible and was extremely underwhelmed when i opened the box and starting playing with the capabilities. I had Force Close issues, way too much bloatware, and it seemed slower compared to what I had with the incredible. But what I found out is that the phone needs about 4 days to "break in". Here is what I had to do to make it a WOW phone:
-Put launcher Pro on it, first thing. adjust the number of rows so i could fit more stuff on my screens.
-Root it. Use AdFree to take the ads off the phone.
-Titanium backup and "Freeze" all the bloatware. This one took a little while because some what I thought was bloat was required by the OS
-Change browser to Dolphin, Change Keyboard to Swiftkey, change messaging to Handcent, change music to Doubletwist, change Camera to Vignette, change clock to beautiful widgets, and weather to weatherbug elite.

Now it's 90% like the Incredible I loved and getting better every day. The Lap Dock and 4G was the icing on the cake that really WOW'ed it. Now I can log into my work PC using citrix and have a keyboad and mouse. My Ipad 2 friends are coming over to the Droid side as we speak.

The only thing that is really keeping it from being over the top is the locked bootloader. i'd love to put a vanilla rom on this thing to see how it flys. I have chargers at work, home and car, so battery has not been an issue.

Beef5Stew

B-RAN

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
wait - explain please - what ads are on the phone that need to be taken off with AdFree?

Ad Free is an app that you can download from the market if you are ROOTED that will remove ads from any ad supported apps, it doesnt have anything to do with ads on the phone itself.

Reactions: bigsmoove

beef5stew

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
yep. it basically removes the IP addresses for ad servers in the /etc/hosts file. Frees up som realestate on the screen.

I'd also like to get wireless tethering back. From the develoments I've seen, I'm expecting that to be running in about 4 more weeks.

oresteez

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Sounds very familiar to what people in the Charge forums did to make their phones awesome.

Its a shame that you have to do all that to make the phone great, ya know?
That's going to be the thing that will always make Android 2nd best compared to the Iphone (trust me, I'm an Android guy, but I'm also a realist).

The common person is NOT going to do all those things to their phone. Google/Android/the phone companies really need to get their act together.

beef5stew

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
i think alot of it goes to personal prefernce. with an Iphone, you are locked into the "Apple Experience", which is great if you like the way they have things setup. Sucks if you don't because you can't really customize the Apple Experience very much.

I have an IPad 2 I use, and I like the way Apple did web browsing and app downloading. I don't like the way they did email and accessorizing. Unfortunately, I can't change those things, so I learn to adapt and live with them.

My droid, out of the box, I was OK with and could probably learn to work with the motoblur and stock applications. But I don't have to with Android. i mad the phone fit around my lifestyle and the way I want to use the phone. Making the changes i noted above makes the phone feel like an extension of me..it's the "Beef5stew Experience" and IMHO is an Epic win.

Long story short...This phone requires customization to be a perfect fit.

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
The Lap Dock and 4G was the icing on the cake that really WOW'ed it. Now I can log into my work PC using citrix and have a keyboad and mouse. My Ipad 2 friends are coming over to the Droid side as we speak.

The only thing that is really keeping it from being over the top is the locked bootloader. i'd love to put a vanilla rom on this thing to see how it flys. I have chargers at work, home and car, so battery has not been an issue.

Beef5Stew

Excellent review of your (logical) approach to setting up your Bionic instead of shrieking about your dislikes.

Have you seen Cory's post that includes his view of bloat to remove? Does your list look similar?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/bi...roid-bionic-apps-safe-remove-once-rooted.html

I've never rooted previous droids, but this encourages me to bust a move. Wondering if you think the unlocked bootloader/diff ROMS will or should happen before or after ICS?

Thanks a whole lot!

beef5stew

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
I did see that list, but I had already de-bloated using Titanium. Basically every VZW app, blockbuster, kindle, etc. I like using titanium because it's easy to un-do if you mess something up.

I've organized the program is use most into logical categories on my home screens, so the extra bloat probably wouldn't even be noticed.

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm interested in rooting mine (lol tomorrow...Costco should have some. If they don't I'm just going to give up and go to Verizon). Does it really make a huge difference when you root it and remove the bloatware, other than the obvious fact that your app drawer is going to be much much smaller? I think I do want to root it mostly for wifi tethering and adfree, but I also like the idea of removing the bloat.
And before we make this into why Android is great, why iOS has this, etc. let's just leave it at the idea that Android is for customizing, and iOS is for people to just pick up and play. That's great, but there are a lot of people that aren't into that sort of thing.

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I did most of that on day one except rooting. Add that I changed email to K-9 and have not put Dolphin on it yet (I'll check it out). I have Vignette on it but I'm not sure it's better than stock once you know how to use it. Also I had BW, but on a suggestion of another user changed to BeWeather which is WAY better. All the functionality of Beautiful Widgets, with all and more of the functionality of all other weather apps.

Doubletwist was a first change as well but I'm having a hard time syncing my albums.

Okay, so I bought into the Bionic hype and was excitied when it came out. I was coming from a tricked out Droid Incredible and was extremely underwhelmed when i opened the box and starting playing with the capabilities. I had Force Close issues, way too much bloatware, and it seemed slower compared to what I had with the incredible. But what I found out is that the phone needs about 4 days to "break in". Here is what I had to do to make it a WOW phone:
-Put launcher Pro on it, first thing. adjust the number of rows so i could fit more stuff on my screens.
-Titanium backup and "Freeze" all the bloatware. This one took a little while because some what I thought was bloat was required by the OS
-Change browser to Dolphin, Change Keyboard to Swiftkey, change messaging to Handcent, change music to Doubletwist, change Camera to Vignette, change clock to beautiful widgets, and weather to weatherbug elite.

Now it's 90% like the Incredible I loved and getting better every day. The Lap Dock and 4G was the icing on the cake that really WOW'ed it. Now I can log into my work PC using citrix and have a keyboad and mouse. My Ipad 2 friends are coming over to the Droid side as we speak.

Beef5Stew

Snoudel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

Beef5Stew

Hey! Can you post some pictures of the camera app? To be honest, the camera is the only reason I want to return this phone! The demo only lets me use the .3mp camera.

beef5stew

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doen't the market allow you to install an app, and if you don't like it and uninstall it within some period of time (24 hours maybe), it will refund your money.

D1andOnlyOmen

May 20, 2011
Visit site
It gives you 15 minutes for a refund... Which really isn't all that much time. =/

-D

Agree that it isn't all that much time to get comfortable with an app, but at least it's better than nothing. I've taken advantage of this feature (for better or worse) a couple of times this past week...after paying to "unlock" features from free versions of things that really didn't turn out to be all that much better/useful than what the free version offered.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I actually did most of what BeffStew did with the exception that I moved a majority of the bloat to my SD Card using RootExplorer and then froze other apps that would not go away (NFL Mobile, VZW Media Sync, VZW Nav). Just installed AdFree before too, forgot totally about that program so I will see how this will go. I check my battery stats this morning before plugging in and it was at 20% after roughly 1 day of being off a charger.

Lets see how this goes today :).

Jkoldha

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Excellent review of your (logical) approach to setting up your Bionic instead of shrieking about your dislikes.

Have you seen Cory's post that includes his view of bloat to remove? Does your list look similar?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/bi...roid-bionic-apps-safe-remove-once-rooted.html

I've never rooted previous droids, but this encourages me to bust a move. Wondering if you think the unlocked bootloader/diff ROMS will or should happen before or after ICS?

Thanks a whole lot!

Agreed. We need more people problem solving and less people whining. Great post!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908