Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Ringtones for contacts

Am I missing something? I went into my contacts and tried to add a ring tone but I don't see the option to do that. I did see the option to change the stock ring tones. I just got my DB today and I've spent a total of 9 hrs on it.
    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Galaxy S4 ATT (Retired)

Galaxy S3 VZW (Retired)

Xoom LTE VZW (Retired)

Nexus 7 2012 (Retired)

Nexus 7 2013 (Retired)

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4

Note 10.1 2014 Ed.

Galaxy S5 ATT

Select contact from address book.
    Press the Menu Key on the Bionic.
    Select Options, instead of Edit.

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I tried that and the only option is the list of stock ring tones to choose from I'd like to add my own custom ringtone to the contact.

Galaxy S4 ATT (Retired)

Galaxy S3 VZW (Retired)

Xoom LTE VZW (Retired)

Nexus 7 2012 (Retired)

Nexus 7 2013 (Retired)

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4

Note 10.1 2014 Ed.

Galaxy S5 ATT

Default Re: Ringtones for contacts

Working fine for me. Make sure they're on your SD or internal memory.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I have music files on the sdcard I'd like to add one of those songs as a ring tone for a contact.

Galaxy S4 ATT (Retired)

Galaxy S3 VZW (Retired)

Xoom LTE VZW (Retired)

Nexus 7 2012 (Retired)

Nexus 7 2013 (Retired)

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4

Note 10.1 2014 Ed.

Galaxy S5 ATT

Quote Originally Posted by LordAndroid View Post
    I tried that and the only option is the list of stock ring tones to choose from I'd like to add my own custom ringtone to the contact. The Go SMS ringtone picker will sideload from any app. When you select any option to choose ringtones, it will pop up. The Android ringtone picker and the one for Go SMS will pop up. Since the one for Go SMS has more options, I chose it as the default.

There may be an app that will give you more options of choosing your files.
    As for me, I have Go SMS app installed. It has a built in sound picker. I use it as the default, rather than the one built into Android.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I figured it out: I opened the music app then long pressed the song I wanted as a ring tone. The go to the contact select menu then select options and when the list of ring tones opens looks for the song title and hi-light the song done. Thanks to all of you for helping!!!!

Yea but does it work...I still can't get the ringtone when they call..it resorts to the default for some reason.......
    SUCCESS IS MY ONLY OPTION...FAILURE IS NOT !!
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

It worked for me so I don't see why it wouldn't work for you. sounds like you might need to restart the DB after you add the ringtone to the contact.

I have the exact same problem as CJSMOVE using the Droid Bionic. The customized ringtone selected under the option command when chosen for an individual contact goes back to the phone default ringtone even if you restart the DB.
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,632 Global Posts

I had that problem too - I think it is related to the individual file being used as a ringtone. One of the stock ringtones didn't work, always went to default. However, it worked perfectly with any other ringtone. Even posted a thread on this, but in the end, a corrupt file seemed to be the only answer. Test it out with one of the stock ringtones and see if it works.

BTW, this same corrupt file did NOT work in any situation other than when I pressed it in the list of ringtones. Go figure.
    Always learning ...

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Know this is a little bit of an old thread, but if you put all your audio/music files into a folder called Ringtones, then they will show up in the list of possible ringtones. You can have as many folders as you want as long as the folder at the top is called ringtones.