Bedside Mode - Screen stays on when charging.

RoyEP3

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
With the bedside mode running, is the screen never supposed to time out while the phone is charging? I know when it's not being charged, it'll turn off according to your "Screen timeout" settings. But when it is charging, it'll stay on. Also, what is the "sleep timer" setting? I thought that might have been the option to put the phone to sleep after the set amount of time, but it doesn't.

I'm just worried of wasting electricity and reducing the battery's life because of the screen staying on and therefore having to keep it charging all night. I don't like waking up in the morning to a warm phone knowing it's been draining power all night.

fogflyer

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
With the bedside mode running, is the screen never supposed to time out while the phone is charging? I know when it's not being charged, it'll turn off according to your "Screen timeout" settings. But when it is charging, it'll stay on. Also, what is the "sleep timer" setting? I thought that might have been the option to put the phone to sleep after the set amount of time, but it doesn't.

I'm just worried of wasting electricity and reducing the battery's life because of the screen staying on and therefore having to keep it charging all night. I don't like waking up in the morning to a warm phone knowing it's been draining power all night.

You may be having the problem others have reported that your phone is not entering the final dimming mode. After about 45 seconds it should dim (for the 2nd time) and the status bar should disappear. The only thing on the screen should be the time and alarm time if you have one set. Nothing else. The brightness of this final setting is adjustable from the alarm menu when it is docked. Mine dims so far down it is not readable unless it is in darkness.

You can also push the power button to turn off the screen if you don't want the time to show. The alarm will still fuction normally.

RoyEP3

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
You may be having the problem others have reported that your phone is not entering the final dimming mode. After about 45 seconds it should dim (for the 2nd time) and the status bar should disappear. The only thing on the screen should be the time and alarm time if you have one set. Nothing else. The brightness of this final setting is adjustable from the alarm menu when it is docked. Mine dims so far down it is not readable unless it is in darkness.

You can also push the power button to turn off the screen if you don't want the time to show. The alarm will still fuction normally.

No, it dims to that second mode just fine. I was just hoping for it to turn off after a set amount of time. I was hoping that's what the "sleep timer" setting is but it isn't. What does that setting do? I guess I'll just resort to powering it off manually but there should have been an option to do it automatically.

Have you checked applications - development? Is the never sleep while charging option in there?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yes, the stay awake while charging is unchecked.

potermac

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
No, it dims to that second mode just fine. I was just hoping for it to turn off after a set amount of time. I was hoping that's what the "sleep timer" setting is but it isn't. What does that setting do? I guess I'll just resort to powering it off manually but there should have been an option to do it automatically.

fogflyer

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

I haven't actually tried it, but I assume the sleep setting is for listening to music, or perhaps watching videos, while going to sleep. The phone will stop the music or video after the set sleep time expires.

RoyEP3

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
You don't use you're phone for an alarm clock?

I do.

I haven't actually tried it, but I assume the sleep setting is for listening to music, or perhaps watching videos, while going to sleep. The phone will stop the music or video after the set sleep time expires.

Oh you're probably right. I never used the media functions in bedtime mode so I didn't think to relate the two.

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
I do.

Oh you're probably right. I never used the media functions in bedtime mode so I didn't think to relate the two.

Since you guys are discussing the bedtime mode, has anyone adjusted the night time brightness to basically 0? I did, and holy crap does it cause some weird flickering on and off trying to stay on yet basically off. If I adjust the slider just 1 minor text above what would be 0, everything works great. They really shouldn't even let you select the very bottom setting. Don't do this if you are trying it with the lights on. I could not see it during the day. When the room is pitch black, and you have the night time Brightness set to the lowest setting, it flickers like crazy. Does anyone else's phone do this?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

RoyEP3

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Since you guys are discussing the bedtime mode, has anyone adjusted the night time brightness to basically 0? I did, and holy crap does it cause some weird flickering on and off trying to stay on yet basically off. If I adjust the slider just 1 minor text above what would be 0, everything works great. They really shouldn't even let you select the very bottom setting. Don't do this if you are trying it with the lights on. I could not see it during the day. When the room is pitch black, and you have the night time Brightness set to the lowest setting, it flickers like crazy. Does anyone else's phone do this?

Can't say that I have that problem, and I always have mine set to the dimmest setting.

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
Mine is also at the lowest setting with no flickering.

That is really weird. I have absolutely no other problems with my phone, except for that. And it only does that if I have the slider all the way to the left. If I even move it 1 tiny bit to the right, there are no problems.