My Bionic Suddenly Died Today!

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
So I got my phone from Verizon last Friday, sold my DX2 on the way there.
Got it all set up after days of work....downloading apps, syncing mail, setting up screens...was loving it and looking fwd to the extended battery they shipped me.
But as I was driving down I-95 this morning with Bionic navigating in its Moto windhsiel mount/dock and with Moto cig lighter plugged into it, the screen just suddenly went off. I was like....hmmmm.....tried the power switch...nothing.
I took it out of the dock and held power, nothing. Took battery out and put back in in, held power...nothing. Pulled over and got spare Moto std battery that I bought in the store with the charging dock from computer bag and put it in...nothing. Total SBDS...Sudden Bionic Death Syndrome. So I kept driving, calculating in my head whether, since it's 9 days since I bought it in the store, they will give me another. Phone is now lying on passenger seat on my jacket when I hear the Droid startup sound effect....phone comes on all way...I unlock it, check my Gmail to see if I missed a call or message on Google Voice and as I put it down screen went off and am back to won't turn on...whether plugged into power or whichever battery...nothing.

Am super bummed. Heading to VZW store where I got it at 10Am...more to follow.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
So I got my phone from Verizon last Friday, sold my DX2 on the way there.
Got it all set up after days of work....downloading apps, syncing mail, setting up screens...was loving it and looking fwd to the extended battery they shipped me.
But as I was driving down I-95 this morning with Bionic navigating in its Moto windhsiel mount/dock and with Moto cig lighter plugged into it, the screen just suddenly went off. I was like....hmmmm.....tried the power switch...nothing.
I took it out of the dock and held power, nothing. Took battery out and put back in in, held power...nothing. Pulled over and got spare Moto std battery that I bought in the store with the charging dock from computer bag and put it in...nothing. Total SBDS...Sudden Bionic Death Syndrome. So I kept driving, calculating in my head whether, since it's 9 days since I bought it in the store, they will give me another. Phone is now lying on passenger seat on my jacket when I hear the Droid startup sound effect....phone comes on all way...I unlock it, check my Gmail to see if I missed a call or message on Google Voice and as I put it down screen went off and am back to won't turn on...whether plugged into power or whichever battery...nothing.

Am super bummed. Heading to VZW store where I got it at 10Am...more to follow.

Sounds like you got unlucky and got a defective phone. I doubt that anything that you where using that day could have caused it because it was all Moto accessories. Go to VZW and argue if they give you a hard time, this is a brand new phone, they are usually pretty good within that 14 day period. If its after that period then you have to break out the boxing gloves.

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
They were fine about it just now in the local store. Tech checked over phone and noted no visible damage inside or out. They broke out new Bionic and activated it for me. Now I have hours of reconfiguring to get back to where I had the other, but am glad it died on a weekend on my way home and not on a business trip or after the 14 days period.
I forgot to get them to put another screen protector on it, but I guess I can do that here.

It will be interesting to see if there are any other cases of SBDS.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
They were fine about it just now in the local store. Tech checked over phone and noted no visible damage inside or out. They broke out new Bionic and activated it for me. Now I have hours of reconfiguring to get back to where I had the other, but am glad it died on a weekend on my way home and not on a business trip or after the 14 days period.
I forgot to get them to put another screen protector on it, but I guess I can do that here.

Hope all works out for the best!

For the screen protector I would wait anyway till SGP comes out with ones for the Bionic, I have had the best luck with those.

EDIT: Right after I posted this I went to SGP site to check if they have Bionic stuff and now they do have screen protectors that come out on the 23rd.

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Hope all works out for the best!

For the screen protector I would wait anyway till SGP comes out with ones for the Bionic, I have had the best luck with those.

EDIT: Right after I posted this I went to SGP site to check if they have Bionic stuff and now they do have screen protectors that come out on the 23rd.

What is the URL to the SGP products?

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Even if you went past 14 days you would be fine. The phone is covered under the manufacturers warranty for a year. You just wouldn't be able to exchange it for a different make phone after 14 days.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Even if you went past 14 days you would be fine. The phone is covered under the manufacturers warranty for a year. You just wouldn't be able to exchange it for a different make phone after 14 days.

You're right except that VZW let him exchange it for a new device because it was within the first 14 days. I'm sure they just classified his phone as DOA and will send back to MOTO.

If it had died after the 14 day period but within the first year, they would've replaced with a Certified Like-New (refurbished) replacement.

I am not sure what would've happened if the OP was beyond the 14 day period but within the 1st year and decided to bypass VZW and send directly to Moto. Moto may have sent him a new device or repaired his original one.

Many people just choose to go through VZW for convenience and expediency.

JSun

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I am currently on my second Bionic. My first on had SBDS as well. The screen actually went out 3 separate times with the 3rd being the last. The first time was after using the HD dock overnight for the first time. When I took my Bionic off of it, it was very warm. I could hear the device powering on, but the screen was blank. I removed the battery and let it cool down for about 20 minutes. Afterwards, it came back up. 3 days later, the same thing happened again. (I had used the HD dock in between those times and nothing happened.) Again took the battery out and let it cool. Fired right back up. Later that day, I was using it and the screen just went blank. I could still hear when I received notifications, but couldn't see anything on the screen. I could even unlock the phone by swiping my finger across the screen approximately where it appeared when you could see it. The screen was still functional, but it was blank. I tried several things to get it to start working again like removing the battery and letting it cool and re-charing it using different charging methods. Nothing worked to bring it back up. I took it back to Verizon as I was within 14 days and they replaced it.

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Same thing happened to me when I was listening to music on it. They replaced it for me without any hassle, but it sucked to re-download all of my apps and configure everything again.

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You're right except that VZW let him exchange it for a new device because it was within the first 14 days. I'm sure they just classified his phone as DOA and will send back to MOTO.

If it had died after the 14 day period but within the first year, they would've replaced with a Certified Like-New (refurbished) replacement.

I am not sure what would've happened if the OP was beyond the 14 day period but within the 1st year and decided to bypass VZW and send directly to Moto. Moto may have sent him a new device or repaired his original one.

Many people just choose to go through VZW for convenience and expediency.

Certified like new with what? The phone just came out. No way they have refurbs yet.

PhilD

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Does it go into the grooves to or just the front surface?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

i can't say for the Bionic, they haven't shipped them yet... but i use one on my Droid X, and the screen protector is just slightly smaller than the actual glass, this is intentional so that it's easier to center it on the glass without having anything hang over the edge.

i had an unused one from my Droid X which i put on the Bionic until i get the right one, it fits pretty well actually

mbentley3

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
i can't say for the Bionic, they haven't shipped them yet... but i use one on my Droid X, and the screen protector is just slightly smaller than the actual glass, this is intentional so that it's easier to center it on the glass without having anything hang over the edge.

i had an unused one from my Droid X which i put on the Bionic until i get the right one, it fits pretty well actually

The Skinomi protector goes into the grooves.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes there are exceptions to the rule. I had the Incredible and bragged to my brother to get it.
He had three of them in a one month period............and he really liked the phone. They gave him a brand new Droid X He is ok with it but preferred the INC.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci