Headphone jack not working at all

Traprock

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
The headphone jack on my Bionic doesn't seem to work at all. When I plug in headphones, music/audio still comes out of the phones speaker. Is there something I need to enable or is my jack just non functional? I know others have had issues with Hissing and crackling which pushing and manipulating the jack can affect. I get nothing at all. Any ideas?

ninjataint

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Either you are not pushing it in all the way or it is broken. If it's all the way pushed in (till it stops) and these headphones work in other things, bring the phone back.

Traprock

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Yeah had to exchange it tonight. Major bummer having to spend the time at the verizon store. The only plus was the Verizon Rep was a super cute lass. Gonna spend tomorrow recustomizing the phone the way I had it.

sep366

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
The headphone jack on my Bionic doesn't seem to work at all. When I plug in headphones, music/audio still comes out of the phones speaker. Is there something I need to enable or is my jack just non functional? I know others have had issues with Hissing and crackling which pushing and manipulating the jack can affect. I get nothing at all. Any ideas?

i read up on what everyone said here so i flashed a light on the headphone jack and saw that it was filled with lint but was barly visible if you take a paper clip and pick at it you can remove the lint and i think the metal part on the inside is supposed to touch the headphone cause before that it was not working but now it works fine. so i do beleive most off us if not all of us have a simple problem with lint and dont even know it so try that before you return your phones:cool:

Reactions: leedolphus

tgrabiel

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
"i read up on what everyone said here so i flashed a light on the headphone jack and saw that it was filled with lint but was barly visible if you take a paper clip and pick at it you can remove the lint and i think the metal part on the inside is supposed to touch the headphone cause before that it was not working but now it works fine. so i do beleive most off us if not all of us have a simple problem with lint and dont even know it so try that before you return your phones"

I just tried the lint issue and it worked! haha, i stuck a paperclip into it and after a few tries a huge piece of lint popped out and my headphones work now. thanks!

DroidSlave300

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes, unbelievably, the paperclip trick does work. I was having a problem playing music from Pandora or Spotify through my new head unit, found this article, cleaned out the jack and low and behold it works. Thanks for the tip.:D

potermac

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Had the same problem the other day. Thank God for the internet. Found the paper clip trick in about five mins. I wonder how many phones were sent back because of this. Got to do some research

death1799

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
i made an account here just to say whoever posted about the lint lmfao your a god ... miones been messed uo for 2 weeks and its brand new.. got a super small peice of lint out and bang works fine..lmao you could barley see it.. thanx:-*

GreenLanternX

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Also my first post here thanks to this thread. I had this issue a while back and it had seemed to resolve itself. Then it happened again today. Sure enough I dug out 2 huge wads of lint and it works fine now.

Reactions: leedolphus

njspeedbeast

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Also I found after I use my lapdock, all audio will play through the speaker even with headphones plugged in. If I restart my phone it fixes it so it could be a software bug too.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

GPITTS1069

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I recently had an issue with the earphone jack on my Droid Bionic!!! I use my hands free cord in the car as well as other accessories and got no sound coming through. I replaced the cord at first trying to go from least expensive problem and move from that point. Once I went through all of my trouble shooting I had to replace the handset. Motorola needs to work on this issue. I had the same issue with my Droid X. Smh!!! There are laws in Michigan with regards to using the phone while in the car without a hands free device. This is a major issue for me!!! *justventing*

WhoolioPreludee

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
This happens to me periodically, after you plug it in spin/rotate the earphone plug while inserted. Its as if the contacts are dirty and it cannot detect the plug. Hope this helps.

ruffnsc

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I could not believe it but sure enough I wear jeans and other cotton based pants. Lint got into the headphone jack. Took a picture of the lint now they work great.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Lol wow. Gonna try this trick later when I get a paper clip. I had already got a refurb phone that I sent back unopened because I'm not gonna deal with the hassle of setting it up over a minor issue and risk more major issues with the refurb.

Side note: Is a headphone icon supposed to show in notifications? At the store, I got the warranty approval because that never showed in the notifications bar. I've never seen that, even when the headphone jack worked right (I frequently use it).

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok, first off, the paperclip trick worked for me.

Second of all, I was on the phone with Verizon for something else today and remembered this thread. I asked the lady if they had anything in their knowledge base about this issue. She said it wasn't in the list of known issues and made a report about it to send to her supervisor. So there's a chance the lint concern could become part of the official knowledge base and hopefully help out more people. :cool: