Maps sucking up 50%

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
No but mine was doing that too. Weird because I used maps plenty and never saw it do that after being shut down. Then a few days ago I noticed it using a large percentage of battery when closed, which it never did before. I think it was around when they might have updated it too tho I'm not positive. Curious if anyone else has had this happening and figured out the cause... its actually not killing my battery, just shows up as using a high percentage of it when it shouldn't be.

As a temp fix that works for me... Under Location & Security settings make sure you uncheck Standalone GPS Services.. this is the setting that gives maps its privileges I believe. With it unchecked, it no longer uses any batt life for me when not in use. Only nuisance is that now I have to go back into that menu before using maps to navigate or anything because otherwise it won't work, it will only be able to try to find your location using cell tower data.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Maps sucking up 50% of battery.

Anyone know why??
Maps is closed and GPS off.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I have a few questions:

How long has was your phone off the charger when you saw that stat?
How long were you running maps?

If you took your phone off the charger 45 minutes ago, but had Maps running for 15 of those minutes, this stat may make sense. However, if you had your phone off the charger for 6 hours, ran maps for 15 of those minutes and you still had this stat, something would be wrong.

Long story short, this may be normal, or it may not. We need more information

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
this happened to me the other day. i'm pretty sure it's a glitch with the battery information meter. it said my maps usage was 55%, but i hadnt even opened it. i even force stopped it to make sure it wasnt running, but it still said it was 55%. i wound up just charging it and then restarting the phone.

milkshed27

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
2defmouze, you can use apps like Power Control Plus, Extended Controls or Widgetsoid2.x and put a widget on your home screen that will toggle the GPS on and off so you don't have to go through the menus.

SonicJoe

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
this happened to me the other day. i'm pretty sure it's a glitch with the battery information meter. it said my maps usage was 55%, but i hadnt even opened it. i even force stopped it to make sure it wasnt running, but it still said it was 55%. i wound up just charging it and then restarting the phone.

The percentage shown is a running total since the last charge, not a snapshot of that exact moment. Therefore it makes sense that after force stopping it, it still showed 55%. Your phone would need to run for awhile to see the percentage go down.

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
The percentage shown is a running total since the last charge, not a snapshot of that exact moment. Therefore it makes sense that after force stopping it, it still showed 55%. Your phone would need to run for awhile to see the percentage go down.

it said it was at 55% consistently until the battery died.

saltysteve

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
I never opened maps. I tried force closing but out still listed as running. It drained my battery down to nothing.

Recharged today and problem was gone

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Maps sucked the life out of my extended battery and I had to force close them to get them to stop the first time, but I've used the Navigation a couple times over the weekend and the battery drained FAST, but, at least when I left the App, they closed and stopped using the battery.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
How do you turn off the maps? I went into manage apps and stop it, but it just starts back up again..

Try just rebooting. Meant to update in here that since I had the problem last week or whenever, it completely went away after a reboot. And since then I've used Maps, navigation, closed it, etc multiple times and am no longer seeing it staying open using battery when it shouldn't be. I think all I did that might have caused the fix was reboot, lol.

gbreeze

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Try just rebooting. Meant to update in here that since I had the problem last week or whenever, it completely went away after a reboot. And since then I've used Maps, navigation, closed it, etc multiple times and am no longer seeing it staying open using battery when it shouldn't be. I think all I did that might have caused the fix was reboot, lol.

Hmmm, I did the reboot and still no luck. Its wants to runt even when I go back in to shut it off. Just starts back up again.
shrug.gif

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Is this VZ Maps that everyone is talking about or Google Maps? I've never had Maps show up in my battery meter but then again, I am rooted and I disabled VZ's maps and just use Google's maps.

djm1947

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I had the same thing and had not enabled maps. It is Google maps that seems to have the issue. If you follow the suggestion in Post #2, it no longes shows up as using 55% of the battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair