Post Your Phone Freeze Stories Here

charlie310

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm on my second Bionic, and after 5 days the phone has frozen (only way to reboot is to pull battery). It happened when I tried calling someone. This also happened on my 1st Bionic when I tried to open NFL Mobile, and I thought it was an isolated issue. Seems like they need to fix a lot of bugs.

For the record, from day 1 my Samsung Captivate never froze on me. Apps would crash once in a blue moon, but I never experienced freezing. I don't even want to get into the Bionic Apps crashing issue (which happens on a daily basis).It's a PIMA to have to put the battery cover off and on every 5 days. Now I see why some people hate Motorola.

Last edited:

brnscofrnld

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Bionic since release and have not had any issues. Did you root your phone or download some non market or amazon market app?

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I went to the store and bought some ice cream. I put my bionic in the bag and forgot about it. Then I stuck the bag in the freezer. My Bionic froze like crazy, but it still works great :)

charlie310

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I went to the store and bought some ice cream. I put my bionic in the bag and forgot about it. Then I stuck the bag in the freezer. My Bionic froze like crazy, but it still works great :)

Thank you for using your valuable time to contribute to my thread. FYI, you have a very peculiar sense of humor. Are you, still in high school?

Grumple

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for using your valuable time to contribute to my thread. FYI, you have a very peculiar sense of humor. Are you, still in high school?

You don't have to be a jerk. He wasn't trying to make a joke, he was telling us about something that happened to his Bionic to show its durability.

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I was on Youtube and it froze up, but other than that I haven't had any problems. I still can't figure out why it froze up when I was just trying to show someone a youtube video though, but I just pulled the battery and all was good.

charlie310

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to be a jerk. He wasn't trying to make a joke, he was telling us about something that happened to his Bionic to show its durability.

It's painfully obvious he was trolling. It doesn't take a genius to know that his post has nothing to do with this thread, and yours doesn't either. I don't appreciate when others defacate on my threads. I would never do it to someone else because it's just plain rude. Not to mention, it violates Andriod Central's rules and guidelines.

I was on Youtube and it froze up, but other than that I haven't had any problems. I still can't figure out why it froze up when I was just trying to show someone a youtube video though, but I just pulled the battery and all was good.

Yes, it's very strange indeed. At least your phone froze while doing something that pushes the phone somewhat. Why mine crashed when making a call is very troubling. This is suppose to be the "smartest" phone on the market, yet it couldn't do the basic function of making a phone call. I really hope it doesn't happen again, but if it does I will definitely post it here.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
It's painfully obvious he was trolling. It doesn't take a genius to know that his post has nothing to do with this thread, and yours doesn't either. I don't appreciate when others defacate on my threads. I would never do it to someone else because it's just plain rude. Not to mention, it violates Andriod Central's rules and guidelines.

It's actually defecate. Common misspelling though

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Mine runs perfectly. The only time it froze was when I had SetCPU running...so I stopped running SetCPU (that's some serious genus right there). I would suspect that you have some app installed that is causing you trouble. Most people don't really appreciate the complexities of these phones and have no interest in putting in the time to figure out a problem. If you really want to troubleshoot it, instead of sending more phones back to Verizon, do a factory reset and don't reinstall your apps for a couple of days.

However, if you're already this unhappy, take the phone back. There are plenty of great devices to choose from. If it's to late to return it, sell it on ebay for pretty close to full retail.

andre2p

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Mine has frozen about once per day. Sometimes I go 2 days. This is my 2nd handset. The first had a screen problem not related to software. I do not have any secondary market or many apps. Mine seems to freeze usually at gMail or Google Voice, but it could be coincidence since that is about all the apps I use. Still planning to keep it.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I would try a different launcher for a day or two. If you're using the default moto launcher, try Launcher pro or ADW. If you're already using one of those two, try the other one. I run LPP and love it. It's not about whether or not you prefer one launcher over the other, it's about trying to find a set up that works well on your phone...troubleshooting. It could be a bug with Google Voice (I don't use that). Try going without it for a day or two and see how the phone behaves. If it is related to Google Voice, that's something that will get fixed in an update to that app or an OS update.

Reactions: andre2p

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I just bought a used Bionic (helluva deal with an extended battery, all OEM accessories, box, and Verizon case with a holster that I couldn't pass up), but all of these threads are making me question if I should even acvtivate it. I've had a DX, D3, and Inc2, so I know my way around Android. If the app disappearing thing is from them being on the SD card, then that's fine, I'll leave them all on the phone, it has enough memory for that. But this constant freezing, 3g/4g dropping for extended periods of time, hiss/whine when listening to music, etc., is unacceptable. I really hope it isn't all Bionics and only a select few batches.

charlie310

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Stock launch day phone here, no freezes and no data issues here. Did you root, freeze bloat apps, or install non market apps?

Of course, this is the first thing that would come to mind. I think the members here are smart enough to unroot a rooted phone as the first step of troubleshooting a freezing phone. Regarding non-market apps, the only one I have installed is Amazon App. I highly doubt that is the cause (although it is possible). I've never had problems w/Amazon App on prior phones.

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Mine doesn't freeze as much as just randomly shut itself off (but not reboot). For example, today when I got home from class, I turned the screen brightness to minimum using the stock power widget, and I also turned 4G off using the LTE switcher icon from the android market. I then turned the screen off and left it on my desk. Two mins later I went to check it again, and the screen was off and wouldn't turn on. I held the power button and the phone booted back up normally (no battery pull required).

This was the 2nd or 3rd time that this has happened...not sure why.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I just bought a used Bionic (helluva deal with an extended battery, all OEM accessories, box, and Verizon case with a holster that I couldn't pass up), but all of these threads are making me question if I should even acvtivate it. I've had a DX, D3, and Inc2, so I know my way around Android. If the app disappearing thing is from them being on the SD card, then that's fine, I'll leave them all on the phone, it has enough memory for that. But this constant freezing, 3g/4g dropping for extended periods of time, hiss/whine when listening to music, etc., is unacceptable. I really hope it isn't all Bionics and only a select few batches.

Please note that "all of these threads" where people are reporting problems are the minority of users. When something goes wrong, you post a thread to see if theres a fix or if a known issue, etc.. Not many people post threads to say that everything is working perfectly, lol. But the vast majority of users are probably not having any issues. I myself have not had any freezes, random reboots, or headphone hissing in the almost 2 weeks I've had the phone. I had a few apps disappear that I thought should have been left on phone but somehow got moved to the sd card.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
...When something goes wrong, you post a thread to see if theres a fix or if a known issue, etc.. Not many people post threads to say that everything is working perfectly, lol. ...

I totally agree with you. I'm just worried that if I was to get a lemon unit, I will have no means of recourse. Meaning I will either have to sell the device and try to get some of my money back. Or just junk it and pay a ton out of pocket. I love Android so much more than my iPhone, and really want to switch back, but I'm not about to switch carriers, and this seems to be the best of the bunch on VZW. iPhone is just boring, but it definitely works, and the battery is a beast. So it would really suck to go to a phone that rebooted a lot and didn't allow me to use it as a music player because of a headphone whine.

That's all I was getting at. I understand that a TON of people are completely happy with theirs, but it does seem like there are a lot of people running into some rather significant issues which makes me worry a bit.