Facebook location services

non_sequitur

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that when I startup the Facebook app, the GPS location icon flashes in the notification bar for a second. I am assuming that this pings my location to Facebook. Anyone know how to turn this off? I tried to hunt down a setting for this, but could not find one.

Ewing33855

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed that when I startup the Facebook app, the GPS location icon flashes in the notification bar for a second. I am assuming that this pings my location to Facebook. Anyone know how to turn this off? I tried to hunt down a setting for this, but could not find one.

Was wondering the same thing. Fb wants to track us!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

non_sequitur

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Well latitude isn't it. I had not set up latitude, but expressly declined the service after starting the latitude app. The GPS icon only seems to come up if I haven't opened facebook for about an hour or so, which is weird.

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
This is a post that I read somewhere else that may help with the whole facebook tracking thing.

There are three privacy settings available for Facebook Places that can help you fine tune who you want to share check-ins with, whether or not you want to be included on the "Here Now" list, and whether or not Friends should be able to check you in at all.
Sharing Places with Friends (Or Not)

Go to your privacy settings page and select "customize settings."

To adjust who you share check-ins with, use the dropdown next to "Places I check in". (We recommend "Friends Only").
To turn of sharing of places entirely, select "Customize" in the dropdown list and under "These People" select "Only Me".
To adjust whether or not you're included in the "People Here Now" list, uncheck the box or leave it checked.
If you don't want Facebook to ask whether or not friends can check you in, simply select "Disable" next to the "Friends can check me in to Places" option.

Sharing with Friends' Applications? Let's Not.
Another potential issue with Facebook Places is that, by default, it is set to share your location information with applications used by friends. We may love our friends, but we're not sure we entirely trust their judgement when it comes to third-party Facebook applications, and more than anything else we recommend unchecking the box allowing this.

Go to your privacy settings page and select "edit your settings" under the "Applications and Websites" title, in the lower left corner of the screen.
Select "Edit Settings" next to "Info available through your friends."
Uncheck the "Places I've Visited" check-in box.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084