Droid Bionic screen locking on it's own

Mikeyw88

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else come across the screen locking when you are actively using it? I tried changing the screen lock from 1 minute to 10, but this has had no effect. This is my first and only issue with this phone but It locks itself so fast I can't even use it. Battery pull seems to only be a temporary fix.

ivanio

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone else come across the screen locking when you are actively using it? I tried changing the screen lock from 1 minute to 10, but this has had no effect. This is my first and only issue with this phone but It locks itself so fast I can't even use it. Battery pull seems to only be a temporary fix.

I just came across this same issue last night. In the middle of using it the screen does that old school television shutting off thing. Then I have to hit the top button to turn the screen back on. Weird. Hasn't done it today though.

jf101

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Mine has been doing this since day 1.

Is this not normal when this goes to sleep to shut down like an old TV??

Last edited:

PhilD

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Mine has been doing this since day 1.

Is this not normal when this goes to sleep to shut down like an old TV??

the old TV animation when you intentionally turn the screen off (or the sleep timer kicks in) is normal, i think the discussion above is about unintentional screen off events (no press of power button and before timer kicks in)...

Reactions: jf101

csimme01

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Just a theory
Are you using a screen protector?
If you are using a screen protector and you have turned on pocket mode your phone could think it is in a pocket and then lock itself.

Mikeyw88

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Just a theory
Are you using a screen protector?
If you are using a screen protector and you have turned on pocket mode your phone could think it is in a pocket and then lock itself.

Yes and Yes. I turned off the pocket detection, seems to have done the trick. It's just weird, I have had the screen protector on since day one and just now started having problems. Will let everyone know if it starts doing it again.

csimme01

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Ok glad you found something that helps. There seems to be differences in screen protectors. Some affect the proximity sensor and some don't.
What kind are you using?
If you want to play around download androsensor from the market. It shows all the data from all the phones sensors.
Edit:
Another thread has shown that the skinomi screen protector causes the proximity sensor to read as if you have the phone next to your ear. They fixed their problem by cutting a notch where the proximity sensor is (just to the right of the ear piece) if you look closely in the right light you can see both the light and proximity sensors.

Last edited:

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
If you look in the Bionic's downloaded user manual, it says not to cover the sensor location (to the right of the ear speaker) with a screen protector. You can't see it, so you have to look at the drawing or be sure to buy a screen protector with a large open area around the ear speaker.

Also, rather than a factory data reset, as one poster suggested, a battery pull would be less disruptive and often cures weirdness, especially if there's been a lot of changes/downloads done. Battery out > wait full minute > battery in > turn on. A FDR wipes your Bionic and you start from "out-of-the-box" status. Only needed for major, major issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech