Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Droid Bionic screen locking on it's own

Has anyone else come across the screen locking when you are actively using it? I tried changing the screen lock from 1 minute to 10, but this has had no effect. This is my first and only issue with this phone but It locks itself so fast I can't even use it. Battery pull seems to only be a temporary fix.

Carrier
    AOKP

Default Re: Droid Bionic screen locking on it's own

Have not had this issue or even heard of it til now. Feel like you might want to try a factory reset.

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyw88 View Post
    Has anyone else come across the screen locking when you are actively using it? I tried changing the screen lock from 1 minute to 10, but this has had no effect. This is my first and only issue with this phone but It locks itself so fast I can't even use it. Battery pull seems to only be a temporary fix.
    I just came across this same issue last night. In the middle of using it the screen does that old school television shutting off thing. Then I have to hit the top button to turn the screen back on. Weird. Hasn't done it today though.

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

Mine has been doing this since day 1.

Is this not normal when this goes to sleep to shut down like an old TV??

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyf101 View Post
    Mine has been doing this since day 1.

Is this not normal when this goes to sleep to shut down like an old TV??
    the old TV animation when you intentionally turn the screen off (or the sleep timer kicks in) is normal, i think the discussion above is about unintentional screen off events (no press of power button and before timer kicks in)...
    jf101 likes this.

Carrier
    Stock

Just a theory
    Are you using a screen protector?
    If you are using a screen protector and you have turned on pocket mode your phone could think it is in a pocket and then lock itself.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by csimme01 View Post
    Just a theory
    Are you using a screen protector?
    If you are using a screen protector and you have turned on pocket mode your phone could think it is in a pocket and then lock itself.
    Yes and Yes. I turned off the pocket detection, seems to have done the trick. It's just weird, I have had the screen protector on since day one and just now started having problems. Will let everyone know if it starts doing it again.

Carrier
    Stock

Ok glad you found something that helps. There seems to be differences in screen protectors. Some affect the proximity sensor and some don't.
    What kind are you using?
    If you want to play around download androsensor from the market. It shows all the data from all the phones sensors.
    Edit:
    Another thread has shown that the skinomi screen protector causes the proximity sensor to read as if you have the phone next to your ear. They fixed their problem by cutting a notch where the proximity sensor is (just to the right of the ear piece) if you look closely in the right light you can see both the light and proximity sensors.
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,634 Global Posts

If you look in the Bionic's downloaded user manual, it says not to cover the sensor location (to the right of the ear speaker) with a screen protector. You can't see it, so you have to look at the drawing or be sure to buy a screen protector with a large open area around the ear speaker.

Also, rather than a factory data reset, as one poster suggested, a battery pull would be less disruptive and often cures weirdness, especially if there's been a lot of changes/downloads done. Battery out > wait full minute > battery in > turn on. A FDR wipes your Bionic and you start from "out-of-the-box" status. Only needed for major, major issues.