Droid 3 or Bionic

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to decide between the Droid 3 and the Bionic. Is the Bionic worth the extra $100? I live in an area that doesn't get LTE everywhere, but it is in some areas. Has anyone used both of these phones and can you give me a good comparison? The slide out keyboard is nice, but I don't think it's a must have for me. I had the original Droid and loved it back then. I switched to the Blackberry Bold 9930, but I am having issues with call quality and the lack of apps so I am looking at going back to Android. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
If you're in it for the long hall, I'd definitely say go with the Bionic for LTE. By this time next year, it should pretty much span their current 3G coverage. Unless you're dying for a physical keyboard, I think the Bionic is clearly the superior device.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. That's my struggle. I will have another upgrade coming in November next year. So whatever phone I get will probably only get used for a little over a year. By then LTE will be rolled out every where around me. That's the only reason I would hold back if the other features didn't make a difference. Is the Bionic any faster than the Droid 3 outside of a LTE area?

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
You'll probably want to confirm this with people around here that are far more knowledgeable than me, but I think the Bionic has double the RAM that the 3 has. I also don't know if the 3 runs on the TI OMAP, the Bionic's processor.

Your best bet is probably to go play with both of them at a VZW store. If you don't need a physical keyboard, though, definitely go with the Bionic.

Reactions: cwbcpa

pdecell

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The D3 and Bionic have the same processor but the Bionic has more RAM 1GB vs 512MB. I am not sure how important that REALLY is for a phone. I played with both phones and I think it depends on whether or not you are going to get LTE soon enough to take advantage of it. I decided on the Bionic for several reasons-first while I like the physical keyboard a lot, it didn't speed up my typing speed. The slightly bigger display on the bionic helped my speed better than the D3 keyboard. Both phones have different sorts of camera issues but I decided for my uses I could live with the bionic camera better. As for the hundred dollar difference-over the two year life of the phone that is a pretty small proportion of the total cost of running the phone. If you travel to other countries one thing in the D3 column is the global capabilities. For me that is not an issue. Good luck deciding! :cool:

Reactions: cwbcpa

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Had the D3... thought I would want the physical keyboard, but onscreen keyboards have gotten so good ("freaky" predictable SwiftKey X) since I last had a slider (original Droid).. I never used the kb on the D3. When I did, I typed slower than using SKX.

Took it back and got the Bionic.. the slightly bigger screen space has increased my speed even more.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Hold off for awhile. I know a few ppl who returned it and all have the same issues. There have been a lot of returns. Read the forums

sent from my Thunderbolt via tapatalk

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Hold off for awhile. I know a few ppl who returned it and all have the same issues. There have been a lot of returns. Read the forums

sent from my Thunderbolt via tapatalk

Yep, I was one of those people who just returned my Bionic (sadly). Waiting for either 1) debugging by Motorola or 2) something else that comes out with similar specs to the Bionic.

DD wants Droid 3 (she is a teen and texting with a keyboard is apparently a "must" these days). But I am waiting with her too for a bit longer to see what else is on the horizon. I'd like to get her a 4G with a keyboard sometime in the future...

Katherine

DINGSTER1

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
DD wants Droid 3 (she is a teen and texting with a keyboard is apparently a "must" these days). But I am waiting with her too for a bit longer to see what else is on the horizon. I'd like to get her a 4G with a keyboard sometime in the future...

Katherine

Have you looked at the LG Enlighten yet? I may get this one for my son.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I own and use both devices daily. Unless the keyboard is a must for you get Bionic. Its simply a more powerful device and that has nothing to do with LTE as we don't even have it here yet. It also seems to have better battery life and signal strength.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21