Battery dock not fully charging batteries

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I got the battery dock on launch day and have used it some of the time, to charge my batteries. A couple days ago I bought the extended battery (at the same time I exchanged one of the std batteries that I felt was defective). turns out, the battery dock isn't fully charging any of the batteries. the extended battery won't charge past 90% no matter how long I leave it in the dock. I have to finish charging it in the phone. Also, the standard batteries aren't being fully charged either.

Anyone else having this issue? I hope a replacement dock (I'm going to verizon in a couple of hours to exchange) will work better.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I am having similar issue. I know it's a different phone. Bought dock 3 months ago but using spare battery charging slot for first time. Neither my stock or extended will charge if battery is at 80 percent or higher.

EVO-LUTION 3D

LrdAnkh#AC

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
YOu should not be charging the battery if it is at 80%, I typically run the battery down to 5% then put it to chrge and it charges 100% both the standard and the extended.

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
YOu should not be charging the battery if it is at 80%, I typically run the battery down to 5% then put it to chrge and it charges 100% both the standard and the extended.

That's not what Dave (please forgive me for speaking for you, but I know you well enough) was saying. He is stating that when his battery needs charging and he puts it in his charger, it will not charge it past the 90% level...it never gets to 100%.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I had this issue too while i had my phone and 2nd battery w/ charger.

To remedy the issue i would pull the battery off the charger when the light went green(Full charge?). Wait 15 seconds, put the battery back on the charger and it would charge another hour usually. Seemed to work. Just like topping off a battery on my D1 charger.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
got the replacement battery dock. happy to report initial testing shows it's working better than my first one. I topped off a std battery and installed it in the phone. voltage is holding at 4.293--the highest I've ever gotten. I'm now charging one of my extended batteries (it was 80% when I took it out of the phone a few hours ago) and will wait til the light turns green and give it another hour. then I'll install it in the phone and see if voltage is as high as for the standard battery that I just charged on the new charger.

EDIT: no joy charging the extended battery. see post below.

Last edited:

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
That's not what Dave (please forgive me for speaking for you, but I know you well enough) was saying. He is stating that when his battery needs charging and he puts it in his charger, it will not charge it past the 90% level...it never gets to 100%.

absolutely correct, Cory! The issue is present when charging a battery that has less than 5% charge...or any other charge level.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I had this issue too while i had my phone and 2nd battery w/ charger.

To remedy the issue i would pull the battery off the charger when the light went green(Full charge?). Wait 15 seconds, put the battery back on the charger and it would charge another hour usually. Seemed to work. Just like topping off a battery on my D1 charger.

while that's a good suggestion, it isn't a viable option when one wakes up in the morning with a battery supposedly fully charged in the dock, wanting to quickly pop it into the phone, and leave for the day. if one has time to fiddle with reseating the battery, then that would be fine.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
while that's a good suggestion, it isn't a viable option when one wakes up in the morning with a battery supposedly fully charged in the dock, wanting to quickly pop it into the phone, and leave for the day. if one has time to fiddle with reseating the battery, then that would be fine.

Yeah i can understand that. I found this work around because i was not 100% sure i would keep the phone. I agree exchanging it is the way to go. Would have done the same if i had kept the phone past the 14 day mark. Glad to see the new one is working out better.

Reactions: 1812dave

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Using the replacement battery dock, the extended battery won't charge over 70%. I've tried 3 times today. the light is amber for at least a 1/2 hour. eventually it turns green. put batt in phone--shows 70%. WTH??? this is worse than the first charger. also, I noticed that ext batteries are 3.7 volts, while the std batts are labelled as 3.8 volts. odd.

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
This may be a long shot, but are you certain that it's not a battery reporting issue? Have you tried either rebooting the phone again or testing how long the battery lasts when you do a swap? I know when I was swapping between my stock battery and the extended battery, the battery reporting seemed to get funky sometimes (inaccurate readings, etc).

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
the second dock charged a brand new extended battery to only 90% after more than 9 hours. I put that battery in my Bionic and let the bionic charge it the rest of the way, which took less than 18 minutes. I'm taking the battery dock back for refund today. I'm tired of this poor performance. I can only get the batteries to charge properly inside the Bionic.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
This may be a long shot, but are you certain that it's not a battery reporting issue? Have you tried either rebooting the phone again or testing how long the battery lasts when you do a swap? I know when I was swapping between my stock battery and the extended battery, the battery reporting seemed to get funky sometimes (inaccurate readings, etc).

I've had FIVE batteries, TWO docks, and 17 days to try this all out. Many reboots, battery pulls with power ON. it's NOT the reporting--it's the level of charge thru the dock that is at fault.

EDIT: I was first in line at Verizon today--returned the dock for refund. Problem solved.

Last edited: