Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default My simple tweaks for Bionic battery life...

    I fully understand the battery issues out some people are having out of the box. But I thought I'd share what I've found... That adjusting the settings just a bit made worlds of difference.

    My first day with the phone (and extended battery) = 100 to 5% in less than 5 hours.

    Tweaking most apps in task manager to die after 2 minutes, changing emails and social media from constant push to every 15 mins, and changing the bluetooth to only turn on when in the car dock, and yesterday went from 8 AM to 10 PM going from 100 to 71%. Both days were in 4G area the whole time.

    Granted, I wasn't doing as many installs, but I was still playing around with it all day. Before one returns the phone for battery, I would definitely try the changes above....
  2. #2  
    0pusX's Avatar

    Posts
    601 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,460 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: My simple tweaks for Bionic battery life...

    To me.....having to change email to every 15 min rather than push totally defeat the purpose..... why should i not get push notifications just to save battery life. Not worth the trade off IMO.
    Thanked by 2:
    bplewis24 likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: My simple tweaks for Bionic battery life...

    I have a battery tip...

    Stop constantly playing with your phone and get back to work!
    bpadamson likes this.
  4. #4  
    Cigar-Junkie's Avatar

    Posts
    551 Posts
    Global Posts
    620 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    I am impressed with your results and still using 4G. I never used social media. I am also curious as to why every 15 minutes on email would be a savings over push.

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  5. #5  

    Default Re: My simple tweaks for Bionic battery life...

    Sweet post it in here battery tips for the bionic
  6. #6  
    joelmic24's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

    Default Re: My simple tweaks for Bionic battery life...

    Thanks
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: My simple tweaks for Bionic battery life...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cigar_Junkie View Post
    I am impressed with your results and still using 4G. I never used social media. I am also curious as to why every 15 minutes on email would be a savings over push.

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

    My thought was to eliminate anything running a constant scan, since other than phone/text, other forms of communication are not critical to be up-to-the-second (and I can always force updates if I am expecting something).

    Removing the constant scans (including bluetooth) seems to reduce the workload on the battery tremendously, while still keeping myself online in 4G for all spur-of-the moment activities.

    I should also add that I have all 3 GPS services activated. But by making sure the apps are in the task manager kill list, even if I leave an app open accidentally, the GPS gets shut down within 2 minutes, and my battery doesn't get nuked.
  8. #8  
    SSHGuru's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    667 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    ROM
    Lithium

    Default Re: My simple tweaks for Bionic battery life...

    Android is pull not push.

    Gmail may push but I don't use it. I use K-9 Mail and for my email accounts (I have many) that I need checked every minute I set it that way. Some I need every 15, some every hour.


    Quote Originally Posted by 0pusX View Post
    To me.....having to change email to every 15 min rather than push totally defeat the purpose..... why should i not get push notifications just to save battery life. Not worth the trade off IMO.
  9. #9  
    SSHGuru's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    667 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    ROM
    Lithium

    Default Re: My simple tweaks for Bionic battery life...

    How do you change the social media settings? I don't care if they check every 5 hours since I don't care about them.

    Bluetooth doesn't take many resources unless it's connected. Same with Wi-Fi. Both negligible for the scanning.

    Quote Originally Posted by prizeferret View Post
    I fully understand the battery issues out some people are having out of the box. But I thought I'd share what I've found... That adjusting the settings just a bit made worlds of difference.

    My first day with the phone (and extended battery) = 100 to 5% in less than 5 hours.

    Tweaking most apps in task manager to die after 2 minutes, changing emails and social media from constant push to every 15 mins, and changing the bluetooth to only turn on when in the car dock, and yesterday went from 8 AM to 10 PM going from 100 to 71%. Both days were in 4G area the whole time.

    Granted, I wasn't doing as many installs, but I was still playing around with it all day. Before one returns the phone for battery, I would definitely try the changes above....
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: My simple tweaks for Bionic battery life...

    You'll find it under Battery & Data Manager -> Data Delivery -> Social Applications
    Thanked by:
  11. #11  
    SSHGuru's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    667 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    ROM
    Lithium

    Default Re: My simple tweaks for Bionic battery life...

    Thanks just changed it to 60 minutes.

    Quote Originally Posted by prizeferret View Post
    You'll find it under Battery & Data Manager -> Data Delivery -> Social Applications
  12. #12  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default

    Wifi is a definite killer of batteries and more than likely be off unless at home.

    Think about this. Driving down the road your phone picks up one signal, tries to connect, can't because it is out of range, finds another tries to connect... Wash rinse repeat. Maybe the scanning itself isn't a big deal, though I disagree with even that, but the constant failure to connect certainly is.

    I have my wifi setup for the places I go the most. Home, work, certain hotspots and if I am not in any of those places, it is off. Why have anything at all drain the battery even a little?

    Charged up post!
    Thanked by:
  13. #13  
    SSHGuru's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    667 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    ROM
    Lithium

    Default Re: My simple tweaks for Bionic battery life...

    Actually no. It does not try to connect to every wifi source it finds. It will let you know there are available ones to connect to if you choose.

    So leaving it on does not take any significant amount of battery. The searching is like like GPS which has to reach out - it's passive. It's absorbing.

    Now my question is does leaving the 3g/4g radio on really make a difference if you're running wifi? Don't you use one or the other?

    Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    Wifi is a definite killer of batteries and more than likely be off unless at home.

    Think about this. Driving down the road your phone picks up one signal, tries to connect, can't because it is out of range, finds another tries to connect... Wash rinse repeat. Maybe the scanning itself isn't a big deal, though I disagree with even that, but the constant failure to connect certainly is.

    I have my wifi setup for the places I go the most. Home, work, certain hotspots and if I am not in any of those places, it is off. Why have anything at all drain the battery even a little?

    Charged up post!
  14. #14  
    LDubs's Avatar

    Posts
    651 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something ICSy on 902

    Default Re: My simple tweaks for Bionic battery life...

    Quote Originally Posted by SSHGuru View Post
    Android is pull not push.

    Gmail may push but I don't use it. I use K-9 Mail and for my email accounts (I have many) that I need checked every minute I set it that way. Some I need every 15, some every hour.

    Actually, not true. I use Maildroid to push my IMAP Yahoo email. Works like a charm.
    My Incredible is no longer incredible... Hellooooooo Bionic!
  15. #15  
    bplewis24's Avatar

    Posts
    486 Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast

    Default Re: My simple tweaks for Bionic battery life...

    Quote Originally Posted by prizeferret View Post
    You'll find it under Battery & Data Manager -> Data Delivery -> Social Applications
    What exactly does this stop? Which apps?

    I didn't set up any social media applications, but I downloaded the FB for Android app from the Market and set up that account, which I believe is treated as a 3rd party app, right?

    Brandon
  16. #16  
    SSHGuru's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    667 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    ROM
    Lithium

    Default Re: My simple tweaks for Bionic battery life...

    Quote Originally Posted by LDubs View Post
    Actually, not true. I use Maildroid to push my IMAP Yahoo email. Works like a charm.
    Does it push more than Yahoo?
  17. #17  
    SSHGuru's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    667 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    ROM
    Lithium

    Default Re: My simple tweaks for Bionic battery life...

    I just looked at MailDroid - push works with IMAP only and it has ads. Blech get k-9 mail.
  18. #18  
    LDubs's Avatar

    Posts
    651 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something ICSy on 902

    Default

    It does have ads but they're unintrusive. You can buy pro version or use adfree if you're rooted. The ui in my opinion is way better than k9 and the dev is great, constantly updating both for fixes and requests from users.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    My Incredible is no longer incredible... Hellooooooo Bionic!
  19. #19  
    SSHGuru's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    667 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    ROM
    Lithium

    Thumbs down Re: My simple tweaks for Bionic battery life...

    So I should take a perfected program like K-9, change to MailDroid which is still being fixed up and pay $17.99 (you read it right) to get rid of ads.

    Cold day in hell.

    Quote Originally Posted by LDubs View Post
    It does have ads but they're unintrusive. You can buy pro version or use adfree if you're rooted. The ui in my opinion is way better than k9 and the dev is great, constantly updating both for fixes and requests from users.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  20. #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post
    What exactly does this stop? Which apps?

    I didn't set up any social media applications, but I downloaded the FB for Android app from the Market and set up that account, which I believe is treated as a 3rd party app, right?

    Brandon
    Im curious to an answer on this as well.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    bplewis24 likes this.
  21. #21  
    LDubs's Avatar

    Posts
    651 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something ICSy on 902

    Default Re: My simple tweaks for Bionic battery life...

    Quote Originally Posted by SSHGuru View Post
    So I should take a perfected program like K-9, change to MailDroid which is still being fixed up and pay $17.99 (you read it right) to get rid of ads.

    Cold day in hell.
    Whatever. That's your opinion. I tried K9 and thought it was a piece of crap. could never get it to work properly and couldn't get any support. For me, Maildroid simply works, the UI is heads and tails better, and the dev is responsive to any questions and requests. yeah, the pro version is expensive, I haven't pulled the trigger on that yet, but I'm leaning that way to support his very very hard work.
    My Incredible is no longer incredible... Hellooooooo Bionic!
  22. #22  
    Masheen's Avatar
    Android OG

    Posts
    237 Posts
    ROM
    Stock (for now)

    Default Re: My simple tweaks for Bionic battery life...

    These are my tweaks for a significant increase in battery life:

    1) Settings > Battery & Data Manager > Battery Mode > Custom Battery Saver You want to keep brightness as low as possible without compromising your eyesight ( I actually prefer it on 0 in the dark) You also want to put your off peak hours when you usually sleep. AND under Peak hours Turn off data after: set it to 15 minutes. You can still receive all notifications by doing this.

    2) Settings > Battery & Data Manager > Data Delivery > Social Applications click sync over Wi-Fi only.

    3) Settings > Wireless & Network Settings > Wi-Fi settings Then press Menu > Advanced > Wi-Fi sleep policy > Never This stops your phone from switching from Wi-Fi to 3G radio every time your phone's screen turns off. Significantly improves battery as well.

    4) Other than those. Keep your screen as dim as possible (what you're comfortable with) Keep your standalone GPS off when not using it. Same with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.
    Last edited by Masheen; 09-26-2011 at 10:57 PM.
    hokiesteve likes this.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: My simple tweaks for Bionic battery life...

    Quote Originally Posted by Masheen View Post
    These are my tweaks for a significant increase in battery life:

    1) Settings > Battery & Data Manager > Battery Mode > Custom Battery Saver You want to keep brightness as low as possible without compromising your eyesight ( I actually prefer it on 0 in the dark) You also want to put your off peak hours when you usually sleep. AND under Peak hours Turn off data after: set it to 15 minutes. You can still receive all notifications by doing this.

    2) Settings > Battery & Data Manager > Data Delivery > Social Applications click sync over Wi-Fi only.

    3) Settings > Wireless & Network Settings > Wi-Fi settings Then press Menu > Advanced > Wi-Fi sleep policy > Never This stops your phone from switching from Wi-Fi to 3G radio every time your phone's screen turns off. Significantly improves battery as well.

    4) Other than those. Keep your screen as dim as possible (what you're comfortable with) Keep your standalone GPS off when not using it. Same with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.
    That's pretty much what I've done. Combined with keeping it on 3g unless 4g is needed, i generally pace at 24 hours on a battery with moderate use.
  24. #24  
    Galamir's Avatar

    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kilofox View Post
    I have a battery tip...

    Stop constantly playing with your phone and get back to work!
    Burrrrrrrn

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  25. #25  

    Default

    I'm not buying that polling is going to increase battery life over push. Doesn't work that way on any other device atm.

    The wifi tip above is an awesome find though. It should stay on while connected even with the screen off. Wifi should provide better battery over 4g contrary to what is being said in this thread though.

    The biggest battery eater should be "display" and not cell standby or wifi. I think these are software things that will get fixes in root roms and ota updates. Just on opinion.

    Sent from my Bolt via Tapatalk.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B