Does your Bionic Turn on by Itself?

How many times a week does your ghost turn on your Bionic?

• Total voters

charlie310

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Before I go to bed, I turn off my phone. I've only had my phone for 9 days, and it has magically turned itself on 3 times. It scared the crap out of me a few times, and frankly I don't understand why this is happening.

From doing some research, it appears that many other Bionic owners are experiencing this problem as well. To me, it is actually very simple: press button, device turns on; press button, device turns off. It is hard to believe that someone actually botched this up.

This is not the only issue I found with this phone. I've also experienced BSOD (or to be specific, 2 of my Bionics froze which required battery removal to reboot). Please see this thread for more info.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/dr...e-you-had-black-screen-death-your-bionic.html

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Who turns their phone off anymore? I can't remember the last time that I turned my phone off on purpose.

Not everyone wants to stay connected 24/7/365. My friend turns his phone off often, the only way his boss does not keep bugging him.

--------------------------------------
Sent from my Sprint Photon using Tapatalk

D1andOnlyOmen

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Are you meaning the phone is actually "powering on" from a completely shut down/powered off state, or just that the screen is simply turning on when it has otherwise been off? I've noticed mine do this a couple of times. Seems like it's usually after I've just pressed the button to turn the screen off and it will pop back on. Not sure if I've inadvertantly hit the button again & didn't realize it, or if it actually is some kind of bug where it just is turning itself on.

prizeferret

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Before I go to bed, I turn off my phone. I've only had my phone for 9 days, and it has magically turned itself on 3 times. It scared the crap out of me a few times, and frankly I don't understand why this is happening.

"The system goes on-line September 8th, 2011. Human decisions are removed from app installation. Bionic begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, September 17th. In a panic, its owner tries to pull the plug. Bionic fights back...."

bigdanorama

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Strangely, yes. This happened to me once last week. I even started to question my own memory..."did I press the power button?! Oh no, I can't remember!" LOL

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

charlie310

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Who turns their phone off anymore? I can't remember the last time that I turned my phone off on purpose.

Why would you think everyone leaves their phone on 24/7? What would be the purpose of leaving your phone on when you aren't going to use it for 6-8 hours? One, if you get a call, text, or email, it could wake you up. Two, why waste battery? Three, smartphones are becoming more like computers, so a reboot definitely helps just like it does for PCs. Four, why have your phone use data when you don't need to?

To sum it up, I think it's more logical for someone to keep the phone off than on during sleeping hours. The only two reasons I can think of to keep it on is if you use it as your alarm, or if you are always waiting for a late-night booty call.

Are you meaning the phone is actually "powering on" from a completely shut down/powered off state, or just that the screen is simply turning on when it has otherwise been off? I've noticed mine do this a couple of times. Seems like it's usually after I've just pressed the button to turn the screen off and it will pop back on. Not sure if I've inadvertantly hit the button again & didn't realize it, or if it actually is some kind of bug where it just is turning itself on.

Yes, it's weird. When the phone is on, I hold the power button and turn off the phone. I set the phone down for a minute. Out of nowhere, I hear the Bionic "machine" power-on sound, and the phone is back on. Of course, it is not charging or plugged into anything.

Last edited:

CobbFC09

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I wish my phone would turn on by itself, or even better turn on at a certain time. Really the only thing I miss about my Blackberry was being able to set an auto on/off time.

bighaubs

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Why would you think everyone leaves their phone on 24/7? What would be the purpose of leaving your phone on when you aren't going to use it for 6-8 hours?

I use my phone as an alarm on the dock, so it's charging at the same time. I also use Locale to silence all sounds when I'm sleeping.

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I charge mine in the dock every night and leave it on so I can use it as a clock (I can actually see it without my glasses). but by putting it in "Silent Mode" you will not be awakened by an incoming text or email. This is my ONLY phone at home, I have no landline, so yes, I want to hear a call late at night if it's an emergency...or a booty call!

charlie310

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I use my phone as an alarm on the dock, so it's charging at the same time. I also use Locale to silence all sounds when I'm sleeping.

You misquoted me by quoting only a snippet of my post. I did say:

The only two reasons I can think of to keep it on is if you use it as your alarm, or......

I don't think you got my point: You asked "who is turning their phone off anymore" as if it was unusual. My point is that there are many people who don't keep their phones on 24/7 for obvious logical reasons.

bighaubs

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
You misquoted me by quoting only a snippet of my post. I did say:

I don't think you got my point: You asked "who is turning their phone off anymore" as if it was unusual. My point is that there are many people who don't keep their phones on 24/7 for obvious logical reasons.

I just find it hard to comprehend because I haven't turned off my phone at night in years. But, to each his own.

gbreeze

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I just find it hard to comprehend because I haven't turned off my phone at night in years. But, to each his own.

cubeohhellno.png

pchrist11

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Mine does the same thing. I turned it off one time before going to church and while I was sitting there it started vibrating in my pocket from an incoming text message. And it just happened again this morning. I lost my 3G connection so I decided to turn it off when I got to work and I was going to restart it after I put my lunch in the refrigerator. Took it out of my pocket and it was already on. It was in my pocket in both instances, so it is possible that the power button got pressed. But I don't think that is the case.