Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default [Q] how to change user agent on stock browser

There are sites that force me into the mobile version and it drives me nuts.

is there anyway to change the user agent?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: [Q] how to change user agent on stock browser

Never mind, found it

for those interested:
    1) type in about:config in the browser address bar and then click "GO"
    2) you will get a blank screen, hit menu > settings > scroll down to the end > UAString

Type in ....about:config ?

Whe I do that i get the white screen go in to settings but i don't see UAstring??
    SUCCESS IS MY ONLY OPTION...FAILURE IS NOT !!

ROM
    Stock on most

I just get a white screen. Are you using the stock browser or Firefox? I know that command works in Firefox on a PC/Mac, but don't think it should work on the Bionic's stock browser.
    There is no change in the "settings" section for the browser based on loading this page that I can see.
    Last edited by Averix; 09-29-2011 at 02:09 PM.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

you're supposed to get a white screen

then you press the menu button > settings

ROM
    Stock on most

Quote Originally Posted by carz View Post
    you're supposed to get a white screen

then you press the menu button > settings
    Yes, I understand that from your description. There is nothing different in the Settings menu than before when this white page is displayed. The last item on my list is "Reset to default".
    Is your phone rooted? Are you using a different ROM than the stock one? Do you see Settings directly from a Menu press or do you have to select More and then Settings?
    I'm just trying to determine what is different. I would love to alter that string on mine.

I as well...

It's about:debug

More
    Settings
    All the way to the bottom
    UA string

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    Averix 

about:debug ...is a no go.

ROM
    Stock on most

Quote Originally Posted by cjsmoove View Post
    Actually, about:debug does work. It doesn't actually seem to go to a page. Once you put that in the URL and hit enter, it seems to reload the current page in a debug mode that adds options to the standard menu -> more -> settings list. I have UAString at the bottom plus a bunch of other goodies that aren't there normally under a Debug header. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsmoove View Post
    Really? I verified it on mine. Did you type it in then hit enter and attempt to navigate to the webpage so to speak? I am rooted but I don't think that should matter as it is the same on unrooted xoom.

ROM
    Stock on most

Quote Originally Posted by 916ninja View Post
    Really? I verified it on mine. Did you type it in then hit enter and attempt to navigate to the webpage so to speak? I am rooted but I don't think that should matter as it is the same on unrooted xoom.
    It is independent of rooting. Nothing seems to happen when you do the about:debug, but it puts it in a different mode.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails [Q] how to change user agent on stock browser-snap20110929_145554.jpg  

settings does not appear under more on either about:config or about:debug in firefox, will try it now with other browsers to see.

Ok i found it and the choices are :
    Android
    Desktop
    iPhone
    iPad
    Froyo-N1

But i dont know what is the advantage to changing to any of the other choices can someone explain that please.
    Mine is defaulted to Android

BTW you do not need to type About: config or about:debug, just open the browser click on menu then on more then settings and scroll to the bottom and there it is.
    Last edited by LrdAnkh; 09-29-2011 at 09:47 PM.

ROM
    Stock on most

Quote Originally Posted by LrdAnkh View Post
    settings does not appear under more on either about:config or about:debug in firefox, will try it now with other browsers to see.

Ok i found it and the choices are :
    Android
    Desktop
    iPhone
    iPad
    Froyo-N1

But i dont know what is the advantage to changing to any of the other choices can someone explain that please.
    Mine is defaulted to Android

BTW you do not need to type About: config or about:debug, just open the browser click on menu then on more then settings and scroll to the bottom and there it is.
    Actually, you do have to type that in. Standard option do not include the debug menu items.

You are still not telling us what the advantages are to changing it to any of the other choices, and i have tried it both ways wit the about:debug and without and i do nto get any further options under about:debug.

You are still not telling us what the advantages are to changing it to any of the other choices, and i have tried it both ways wit the about:debug and without and i do nto get any further options under about:debug.
    When you go to some websites, they will force you into a mobile version of the site. Some of those sites will also charge you to access their mobile version. By changing the string to desktop, you are telling the site to treat your phone or tablet as a desktop or iphone etc. Also sometimes mobile sites are stripped down to bare bones and if you want the full, unadulterated experience of the site, you can set it to desktop. Assuming that there is not an option for full site.

Thanked by:
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

When you go to some websites, they will force you into a mobile version of the site. Some of those sites will also charge you to access their mobile version. By changing the string to desktop, you are telling the site to treat your phone or tablet as a desktop or iphone etc. Also sometimes mobile sites are stripped down to bare bones and if you want the full, unadulterated experience of the site, you can set it to desktop. Assuming that there is not an option for full site.
    this is correct.

For example, grooveshark charges to use mobile, but the desktop version is free.

some people arent seeing it because they dont realize they have to go to the about:debug page AND THEN hit the menu button AND THEN go to settings

Thanks for the full explanation based on it I went ahead and changed it to desktop.

Thanks for the full explanation based on it I went ahead and changed it to desktop.
    I believe it's only temporary.

So...you have to re-load an existing page in debug mode, you can't just bookmark the white about:debug page? Ideally, I would use that as the home page so I can reset the UA from the get-go.

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

It would be even more useful if there was a way to set this per site.
    Mobile for some sites, desktop for others, etc...