Hints on accessing Bionic folders via PC

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Dealing with the Bionic vs. the Droid X as a flash drive requires a bit of adjustment.

With the DX, you just plugged it into the PC with a USB connections and USB mode, opened the drive on your computer, and there were all the folders. The Bionic has TWO separate ways to access varying file folders...

Using USB mode gives you access to TWO PC drives associated with the Bionic - the Moto logo drive (which is inaccessible) and one other drive, which you have to discover in the those available - it's NOT necessarily the adjacent drive letter. This other drive has only a few folders, including a DCIM. (photo storage). I believe this is the Bionic's internal storage.

Using PC Mode, however, on a Win7 PC puts your Bionic into the Control Panel>Devices and Printers. It appears there as a "device", complete with a Bionic icon. Click that icon and you get a window with options to Manage media, browse files (this is where you can access all the files on the SD card), import pictures and videos (watch out for this - it starts transferring media instantly and very rapidly), and general settings for the PC/Device relationship.

Thus, in the "browse files," you can add/delete/edit whatever files (photos, music, ringtones, etc) with ease. :D

ekc168

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I used to be able to see/browse the files in the Internal Storage-8GB (when using USB mode) but now it just says Removable Disk. When I double-click it says Please insert a disk into Removable Disk.

It looks like it's not mounting properly any more. The Motorola Drive and the SD Card Drive (16GB) mounts without any issue. Any ideas? TIA

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I used to be able to see/browse the files in the Internal Storage-8GB (when using USB mode) but now it just says Removable Disk. When I double-click it says Please insert a disk into Removable Disk.

It looks like it's not mounting properly any more. The Motorola Drive and the SD Card Drive (16GB) mounts without any issue. Any ideas? TIA

I have this issue as well. Were you able to find a solution?

Thom Little

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
PC-USB-Bionic

Connect the Bionic to USB to Windows 7.
There is a network logo at the top of the Bionic screen.
Pull down the notifications menu.
Select USB Connection.
Select USB Mass Storage.
Select OK.

Look at the Hard Disk devices on Windows 7.
There should be two Bionic related Icons.
If there is only one (for the SD-EXT card) ...
With the Bionic still connected ...
Power the Bionic Off.
Power the Bionic On.
One will drive will immediatly be seen wehn the Bionic loads. The second will appear a few seconds later.

... Thom

Tommy3141

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I run Win 7 at work, no problem

Run XP at home, totally lost - will only mount the external partition. Puts up two disks but one is effectively empty - says "put disk in drive".

What an impossible mess.

Thom Little

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I just tried it on XP Professional for the first time using the USB cable that came with the Bionic.

It operates as I described with no problem. I have access to both "drives".

... Thom

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I just tried it on XP Professional for the first time using the USB cable that came with the Bionic.

It operates as I described with no problem. I have access to both "drives".

... Thom

What mode were you in? What's weird is when I am in mass storage mode I can only open the SD card. When I am in (I think) device mode it doesn't show mountable drives, obviously, but the device. When I open the device I see the internal storage. And, of course, in charg only mode I see nothing. I've tried on two different machines running XP Pro and get the same result.

fjfisher601#AC

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm- I can't even get this far- the Driver won't load on my PC a Dell running Win 7 Pro- every time I connect the USB cable I tells me the driver malfunctioned- happens on my Laptop too :( - I had the exact same problem with a Droid 3 too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol