Android wireless mirroring

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
One of my (super Apple fanboy) teachers at school was trying to come up with stupid reasons why he thinks an iPhone is soooooo much better than my Bionic. I kind of scuffed it off, but I like to prove people wrong. I know I heard something about something like Apple TV's wireless mirroring (he's been using it in class to hook up his iPad to his fancy 60' TV. I think that money should've been spent on books wtf) being made for Android...If they don't already have it, I would think it would be cool to hook it up to a Google TV just like he does with his Apple TV (I don't think he owns a piece of technology that isn't Apple. iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Macbook, iMac, this guy is crazy fanboy. Do you get why this is so annoying to me now lol?). Do they have something like that, or is it something different?
/RANT: A lot of kids in my class have joined in and started using crappy Droid slogans to try to poke fun at me. Yeah not a good idea, since all of Apple's commercials almost always have stupid slogans too...it's called marketing and advertisement, and almost all of it is stupid.

Last edited:

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Android equivalent of Airplay?

Too bad teachers don't just stick to educating.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

The name of the class is Social Dialogues. Does that answer your question? Lol. Yeah he spent the whole class talking about Steve Jobs today, but he didn't do it in the kind of poke fun at everyone else type of thing he usually does. But still...he's the guy that runs technology for the district and is wasting tax money on Apple products. Hmmm let's see...super powerful PCs for about $1000 each or moderate powerful iMacs for $3000? That's what he chose to do in my Video Production's new production lab last year...30 brand new iMacs that were outdated before they were released. Nice.
But let's stay on topic, we can discuss this AND answer the question I asked. Is there anything like Airplay to wirelessly display your screen on a TV, Projector, etc?

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site

Apple early on provided free computers to schools and IMO, thus became THE educator's choice. It was a great move on their part and results are still seen today. The local school where I live was just donated a room full of brand new Mac computers. When the kids learn on a Mac, they will be reluctant to switch to a PC. At the local university, the bookstore doesn't even sell peripherals for a PC. Everything there is Mac. There must be something "intellectual" about the whole mystique.

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site

doubleTwist does what you're looking for...

I think I meant to say wireless mirroring, Airplay is different. Good to know though, I was also wondering about something to play music over my network on my phone. What I was more interested in was wireless video mirroring (like HDMI mirroring without the cord lol)

Apple early on provided free computers to schools and IMO, thus became THE educator's choice. It was a great move on their part and results are still seen today. The local school where I live was just donated a room full of brand new Mac computers. When the kids learn on a Mac, they will be reluctant to switch to a PC. At the local university, the bookstore doesn't even sell peripherals for a PC. Everything there is Mac. There must be something "intellectual" about the whole mystique.

Yeah, but almost everyone I know either doesn't care or would rather have a PC with more power and less money spent. They spent a HUGE amount of money on those iMacs and could've gotten something better for more than half the price. We've had the iMacs for a little over a year and they've been causing problems like crazy, mostly just being insanely slow for video editing and especially when I start doing video graphics...I always bring my laptop in to do all my editing and graphics.
And Microsoft has donated more than Apple has to our school, of course all in software. Apple hasn't donated anything other than the horrible eMacs a lot of our labs have and all the teachers have (unless they replace them with a laptop) that they probably didn't actually donate, but probably gave us a discount. Macs are just not economically friendly for schools, we barely even have any damn money for books and we're wasting tons of it on Macs.

Stacey Bastian

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site

Im sry im still confused.
I have an lg g2 and want to mirror it to my apple tv, on my projector. Is this possible? Iv tried airplay. and didnt have any luck.
please let me know any thoughts you have. thanks so much guys!

uiil

May 27, 2011
Visit site

There was this app called Xternal display that I used to use to mirror monday night football to my monitior over the mini hdmi plug.

I think they got kicked out of google play store because others wanted to charge for mirroring.

I deleted it when the preloaded nfl app stopped being free, and I had no more use for mirroring. So I don't know if its still out there or if it still works.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I originally thought that Google HDMI dongle would work (can't remember the name, but the one plugged into your tv with a Wi-Fi connection that could then access videos), but realised that wouldn't work for mirroring what you do on the phone screen. So I can't help you there, but there is one big reason for going all Apple.

I agree, cost for performance, a pc will give you much better value individually. What organizations like schools have to consider is limiting variables across all devices and platforms. Just look at the computers only. If you go pc, even if all of them are the same, there's still hundreds of models to initially choose from and each with their own quirks. With Apple, you only get a few options, and everything is pretty similar. Then when it comes to peripherals, again you have a lot to wade through on the pc side vs. getting Apple products you know will work with the rest of your lineup. So generally speaking, it's easier to make everything play nice by staying with a single vender (Apple), than dozens (anything else).