Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts

Default Re: Lapdock Owners...let's collaborate here!

Anyone know if the dock has to be removed from carry on luggage at the airport or can it just go through xray? (just wondering since it isn't a laptop.)

Thanks.

ROM
    .232 ICS Leak

The TSA doesn't know the difference between a terrorist and a two year old. You think they're going to know the difference between a laptop and a lapdock?

Last time I flew I was wearing Vibram Fivefinger shoes (the shoes that look like footgloves) and I still had to take them off. So yeah, expect to remove it going through security.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,940 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sbudaj View Post
    Anyone know if the dock has to be removed from carry on luggage at the airport or can it just go through xray? (just wondering since it isn't a laptop.)

Thanks.
    I always take it out just in case.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto 360 (LWX48T, Lollipop 5.0.1)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)

What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

They say to remove all large electronic devices so I'd say it's safe to assume that would include the lapdock.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

ROM
    .232 ICS Leak

Just a few more notes on productivity. I attended a multi-day conference last week where several speakers presented material and via lecture and powerpoint.

The organizers gave USB thumbdrives with all the presentations on them for the week, but of course the speakers notes were not included. I uploaded the presentations to my Google Drive account and was able to open them on the lapdock during the presentations. I had a copy of the presentation open, along with another blank document. I'd switch between the two, taking notes on what the speaker was presenting and adding it either to the presentation, or to my blank notes page depending on what it was. The dock got me through presentations from 0730 each morning through til about 4:00pm each day. I'd usually have about 20-40% battery left and of course my phone was 100% charged.

I set the dock up on my nightstand in the hotel each evening as well, with the lid closed and the phone in bedside mode. This worked wonderfully as I had to unplug the hotel clock to get a free outlet to charge things up, but kept my phone near the bedside for calls and use as my alarm.

I also used it to watch Hulu each night to keep up with my TV I was missing while away. All in all I'm very happy with it as both a productivity and entertainment accessory. I even did my work on the dock since the hotel charged $14.99 per night to connect to their wi-fi. I only used my full laptop for a total of about 6 minutes during the entire 4 days.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    bbycrts likes this.

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts

You do not need to remove laptop dock through security.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

^ ur gonna get anally probed ralphie!!!
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,940 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by urphonesux View Post
    ^ ur gonna get anally probed ralphie!!!
    Lol

Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Banned

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts

Just got mine on sale for 50 bucks at Verizon. I wanted it when I got my phone but couldn't justify paying another 300 bucks back then. Looks like I was missing out! It's got its quirks but it's a fun addition to my phone.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,940 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Mario View Post
    Just got mine on sale for 50 bucks at Verizon. I wanted it when I got my phone but couldn't justify paying another 300 bucks back then. Looks like I was missing out! It's got its quirks but it's a fun addition to my phone.
    I really hope we get Webtop 3.0 with ICS.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

We did!
    Thanked by:
    Ry 

ROM
    .232 ICS Leak

Can you use Hulu from the browser? I was doing that quite a bit before.

Do you have Amazon Prime? Do you know if that works from the browser still as well?

What are your first impressions of the new webtop?
    Thanked by:
    Ry 

ROM
    2.3.4/ 1.4.1/ 4.0.3

There was a change to Webtop? Anything noticable?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

In the new webtop mode, instead of some funky thin ubuntu client with a full firefox, it now turns the webtop into an android tablet!

You can,

1. Run android tablet apps in tablet mode.(requires both phone and tablet apps to be installed)
    2. Use Chrome gives you still the ability to run desktop websites and it works great.
    3. Much faster than that ubuntu mode.

I'm SUPER impressed by this, it's so badass.
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.
    Thanked by 2:
    RyYaish 
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,940 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sniffs View Post
    In the new webtop mode, instead of some funky thin ubuntu client with a full firefox, it now turns the webtop into an android tablet!

You can,

1. Run android tablet apps in tablet mode.(requires both phone and tablet apps to be installed)
    2. Use Chrome gives you still the ability to run desktop websites and it works great.
    3. Much faster than that ubuntu mode.

I'm SUPER impressed by this, it's so badass.
    Any quirks with the leaked builds?

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Any quirks with the leaked builds?

No, that's the odd thing. Since the RAZR and Bionic are almost the exact hardware, I think Motorola was building this at the same time as the RAZR build.

Every single thing works on it. 3G/4G, data, phone calls, sound, 2d hardware accel.. and since the RAZR's cpu was at 1.2ghz and the Bionic's was underclocked to 1.0ghz on Gingerbread, when you install ICS, it puts it back to 1.2ghz just like the RAZR.

It's a huge huge performance boost to the Bionic, night and day difference. Almost 2x quadrant scores now. It's one of the best leaked builds on any phone I've ever installed.. everything works!
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,940 Global Posts

No, that's the odd thing. Since the RAZR and Bionic are almost the exact hardware, I think Motorola was building this at the same time as the RAZR build.

Every single thing works on it. 3G/4G, data, phone calls, sound, 2d hardware accel.. and since the RAZR's cpu was at 1.2ghz and the Bionic's was underclocked to 1.0ghz on Gingerbread, when you install ICS, it puts it back to 1.2ghz just like the RAZR.

It's a huge huge performance boost to the Bionic, night and day difference. Almost 2x quadrant scores now. It's one of the best leaked builds on any phone I've ever installed.. everything works!
    Did you have to install another launcher to get Webtop working correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Did you have to install another launcher to get Webtop working correctly?

Yeah, that's the only downside, SystemUI kept crashing. I am running ADW Launcher EX and it works fine.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,940 Global Posts

Yeah, that's the only downside, SystemUI kept crashing. I am running ADW Launcher EX and it works fine.
    Ahh. Thanks.

I'll hold off until there's a leak that launches Webtop properly. I'm not a fan of third-party launchers.

ROM
    .232 ICS Leak

I'll also confirm that a 3rd party launcher is needed for Webtop to work.

I'll also at least partially answer my own questions from above about Amazon Prime. You cannot watch it using the Chrome Beta as it doesn't support Flash. I haven't had the time to see if I can get the new Firefox or any other browser to work. I'll report back when I have answers, and Hulu too.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 

ROM
    .232 ICS Leak

After playing around with it for a good part of the evening I have to say the new webtop 3.0 sucks.

It works about as well as navigating a touch screen interface with a mouse and keyboard sounds like it would work - poorly. You've got to swipe instead of scroll, closing or minimizing apps is less intuitive and requires more movement, and worst of all is no true desktop browser.

I've tried stock, Chrome, Firefox, Dolphin HD, and Skyfire and none will run Hulu or Amazon Prime. Even forcing desktop site or using the proxy setting doesn't work. It's basically made my lapdock completely worthless to me. I used to use the lapdock in lieu of my laptop because it was easier to use and did just as good a job. Now I find the experience extremely frustrating and just flat out not worth it.

If I wanted a tablet with a touchscreen that didn't work I'd have bought one of those cheap chinese knock-offs. This is a SEVERE downgrade in my opinion.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,940 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yaish View Post
    After playing around with it for a good part of the evening I have to say the new webtop 3.0 sucks.

It works about as well as navigating a touch screen interface with a mouse and keyboard sounds like it would work - poorly. You've got to swipe instead of scroll, closing or minimizing apps is less intuitive and requires more movement, and worst of all is no true desktop browser.

I've tried stock, Chrome, Firefox, Dolphin HD, and Skyfire and none will run Hulu or Amazon Prime. Even forcing desktop site or using the proxy setting doesn't work. It's basically made my lapdock completely worthless to me. I used to use the lapdock in lieu of my laptop because it was easier to use and did just as good a job. Now I find the experience extremely frustrating and just flat out not worth it.

If I wanted a tablet with a touchscreen that didn't work I'd have bought one of those cheap chinese knock-offs. This is a SEVERE downgrade in my opinion.
    Did you like the previous version of Webtop?

ROM
    Stock

I bought the lapdock from a reseller for $80, I shoulda kept my money.

ROM
    Stock

The user interface is literally annoying. Your using a mouse to swipe between screens and as said hulu, prime don't work, ughhh
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast