Lapdock Owners...let's collaborate here!

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Let me just say that this lapdock is seriously cool.

If you don't have one...buy one.

If you do have one, let's share any tips/tricks/experiences here.

On mine the spacebar is a iittle funky. You have to hit it pretty close to the center or it doesn't register. Is anyone elses that way? Will it "break in"?

Also, I.m seriously interested in the supposed hack that gets Linux running on this thing, but haven't really been able to find any real direction on how to do that. Has anyone done it? If so, what instructions did you use? Have you found any downside?

I'm typing this out on the lapdock, using my unlimited 4G, and my phone charging. Seriously...how much better could it be? My only real wish was that it had a bezel cam for Skype, etc...

castigs

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I would buy one, if I could justify spending 300 on this, while I can get a very capable fully functional laptop instead? What am I missing?

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
It uses your phones data plan, it charges your phone, you can do everything on your phone on the big screen/keyboard (send SMS, install apps, etc...).

Plus, the battery lasts way longer and it is thinner than any laptop I have ever seen.

If you don't think you can justify it, don't buy it. I have a laptop as well as a XOOM, and this trumps both 99% of the time.

wgroche

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I think that it is really cool. So what are the odds that they will drop in price? I wouldn't mind seeing one under the tree this year!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I have no idea. I talked them in to giving me a 25% discount, but I would have bought it either way.

I'm traveling all the time, and can accomplish literally everything I need to on my phone (I rely on VPN/Remote desktop for something), but the phone is cumbersome to work on for obvious reasons...the size of the screen and limited input methods.

Well, the lapdock solves those problem. Plus, it charges the phone, and doesn't require an additional data plan that you have to pay for.

It is so cool having the phones "Mobile View" pulled up in portrait on the right hand side of the screen while surfing the web with a full desktop browser on the right 80% of the screen and talking on the phone at the same time. You can open links on emails on your phone in the browser on the lapdock, and if you undock the phone you can easily click a button in the task bar that resumes the browsing session you had on the lapdock on your phones browser. It is SO cool.

I love it. The only problem with this is now I will not ever be able to have a phone that doesn't have this capability.

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Let me just say that this lapdock is seriously cool.

If you don't have one...buy one.

If you do have one, let's share any tips/tricks/experiences here.

On mine the spacebar is a iittle funky. You have to hit it pretty close to the center or it doesn't register. Is anyone elses that way? Will it "break in"?

Also, I.m seriously interested in the supposed hack that gets Linux running on this thing, but haven't really been able to find any real direction on how to do that. Has anyone done it? If so, what instructions did you use? Have you found any downside?

I'm typing this out on the lapdock, using my unlimited 4G, and my phone charging. Seriously...how much better could it be? My only real wish was that it had a bezel cam for Skype, etc...

Glad you are enjoying it - I love mine! All the things that you mentioned are the same things that I find great about the Lapdock. I do understand what the naysayers are talking about - you can get a separate fully functional computer for the money - but it is how the Lapdock extends the Functionality of the phone that makes it worth it. Portability, productivity and NO extra tethering fees or hotspot fees make it a winner.

As far as Linux on Webtop - over on XDA support for the Bionic Webtop has been added to "webtop2sd"(an Atrix user (Sogarth) has been working on this for some time). I need to do some more reading and I want to pick up a fast 32GB microSD card before I try it - but from what I can gather webtop2sd is a mostly full functioning version of Ubuntu running as the Webtop environment from the microsd card.

[webtop] webtop2sd discussion (currently version 2.0.0) - xda-developers

RoyEP3

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I want to agree with you guys about loving this lapdock, but I can't. I like the idea of "extending the functionality of the phone", but from my experience it's just much too slow and too limited.

For instance, it takes me an average of over 20 seconds from clicking the firefox app until it actually opens the window, whereas opening any browser from the phone would be instantaneous.

Watching 1080p, 720p, or even some standard def videos on full screen is laggy. What's the point of a laptop size screen if I can't watch high quality videos on it?

Webtop doesn't even have its own gallery app to look at your pictures and videos. Instead it opens the app from your phone and you have the ability to enlarge it. Except, you'd only be stretching a 960 x 540 screen instead of using the webtop's native resolution (whatever it is). At least the Atrix lapdock had an actual "Entertainment Center" app which didn't just use the gallery from the phone.

No touch pad scrolling? If this thing is supposed to be primarily a web browser (since that is the only app you can launch), why would you not have touch pad scrolling? Why would you ever want to take a step back from what is already standard in all laptops? It's supposed to be a full web-browsing experience!

But okay, I am willing to get past all of that. I'm even willing to forget the whole sluggish webtop experience and just maximize my phone screen and have the true speed of the bionic on a $300 display with a keyboard. But wait, the keyboard sucks too! I type for a living and so I can type an average of 100wpm with around 95% accuracy. Needless to say, it's annoying every time I have to press the backspace or retype something. With this keyboard, it makes me do both - over, and over. With my experience, if you don't press a key hard enough, even if you hear the click of the button, it WILL NOT register! So if you're ever thinking about gliding away at 100wpm, forget it. This thing forces you to type extra hard and make you tired very fast.

Speaking of pressing things extra hard. What's up with these mouse buttons? They are extra stiff. You're not going to give me a scrolling touch pad but you're going to make me press this stiff button every time I want to scroll or select something? It gets tiring very fast.

So with all that said, as patient as I tried to be, I just can't justify keeping my lapdock, especially for the $320 (with tax) that I paid for it. I don't know if you guys are having the same experience or if maybe I'm just too much of a perfectionist, or both. Maybe later down the road the price will drop and more hacks will be made to bring out more features and make up for all these flaws.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Glad you are enjoying it - I love mine! All the things that you mentioned are the same things that I find great about the Lapdock. I do understand what the naysayers are talking about - you can get a separate fully functional computer for the money - but it is how the Lapdock extends the Functionality of the phone that makes it worth it. Portability, productivity and NO extra tethering fees or hotspot fees make it a winner.

As far as Linux on Webtop - over on XDA support for the Bionic Webtop has been added to "webtop2sd"(an Atrix user (Sogarth) has been working on this for some time). I need to do some more reading and I want to pick up a fast 32GB microSD card before I try it - but from what I can gather webtop2sd is a mostly full functioning version of Ubuntu running as the Webtop environment from the microsd card.

[webtop] webtop2sd discussion (currently version 2.0.0) - xda-developers

Thanks for the link, I will check it out. I have a good quality 32GB SD card sitting here waiting to be used so this may be ever perfect opportunity to put it to work.

When I have a few minutes I'll give that a read. Do you know if it requires the Bionic be rooted? I don't really want to root my phone..

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
It's a bummer you're disappointed. I have watched HD videos in full screen just fine...both 720p and 1080p. Also, my browser opens quickly.

I don't have to press my keys hard either, unless I just do without realizing it. I don't type for a living per se, but I type a lot and type about 80wpm. Other than the spacebar key being picky about where you press it the keyboard is great, but a little cramped.

I agree no touchpad scrolling is lame, but it doesn't bother me. I plan on picking up a wireless mouse to use with it. That will solve that annoyance as I'll get one work a scroll wheel. This is also something that can easily be fixed with a software update.

I want to agree with you guys about loving this lapdock, but I can't. I like the idea of "extending the functionality of the phone", but from my experience it's just much too slow and too limited.

For instance, it takes me an average of over 20 seconds from clicking the firefox app until it actually opens the window, whereas opening any browser from the phone would be instantaneous.

Watching 1080p, 720p, or even some standard def videos on full screen is laggy. What's the point of a laptop size screen if I can't watch high quality videos on it?

Webtop doesn't even have its own gallery app to look at your pictures and videos. Instead it opens the app from your phone and you have the ability to enlarge it. Except, you'd only be stretching a 960 x 540 screen instead of using the webtop's native resolution (whatever it is). At least the Atrix lapdock had an actual "Entertainment Center" app which didn't just use the gallery from the phone.

No touch pad scrolling? If this thing is supposed to be primarily a web browser (since that is the only app you can launch), why would you not have touch pad scrolling? Why would you ever want to take a step back from what is already standard in all laptops? It's supposed to be a full web-browsing experience!

But okay, I am willing to get past all of that. I'm even willing to forget the whole sluggish webtop experience and just maximize my phone screen and have the true speed of the bionic on a $300 display with a keyboard. But wait, the keyboard sucks too! I type for a living and so I can type an average of 100wpm with around 95% accuracy. Needless to say, it's annoying every time I have to press the backspace or retype something. With this keyboard, it makes me do both - over, and over. With my experience, if you don't press a key hard enough, even if you hear the click of the button, it WILL NOT register! So if you're ever thinking about gliding away at 100wpm, forget it. This thing forces you to type extra hard and make you tired very fast.

Speaking of pressing things extra hard. What's up with these mouse buttons? They are extra stiff. You're not going to give me a scrolling touch pad but you're going to make me press this stiff button every time I want to scroll or select something? It gets tiring very fast.

So with all that said, as patient as I tried to be, I just can't justify keeping my lapdock, especially for the $320 (with tax) that I paid for it. I don't know if you guys are having the same experience or if maybe I'm just too much of a perfectionist, or both. Maybe later down the road the price will drop and more hacks will be made to bring out more features and make up for all these flaws.

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the link, I will check it out. I have a good quality 32GB SD card sitting here waiting to be used so this may be ever perfect opportunity to put it to work.

When I have a few minutes I'll give that a read. Do you know if it requires the Bionic be rooted? I don't really want to root my phone..

Yes, you do have to root - you need super user permission to update the necessary files if you want a more "full" Linux experience.. I haven't rooted my Bionic yet, I am more interested in the "Bug Fix" OTA update than anything else at the moment, although I will root the phone at some point.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I know there are a lot of detractors of the lapdock idea but personally I think it is way cool. There's been some talk that something similar may be available for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus Droid Prime. Hope so, because this is just an awesome idea in my opinion. Too bad there's no webcam, 'though.

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

I can't argue with the fact that it is flawed - because it is, although I think has it pluses also - namely the slim durable form factor, battery life. I think all of your complaints are accurate but they don't bother me as much - I have an extra wireless laptop mouse that is much nicer to use than the touchpad and as far as the keyboard, I am a lousy typist but it is way nicer to type on than the phone itself.

You can certainly get a better stand alone experience for the money, But my reasoning for the lapdock is as follows:

I paid $200 and I got - a powerful charging station for my Bionic with a bigger screen and a keyboard and also the ability to use a full desktop browser. This can be used with my unlimited data package for no extra monthly charge. Additionally, at some point I will be updating the webtop to something close to a full version of Linux.

I could have bought a Netbook or maybe a cheap laptop for $300. These would all have their limitations but I grant that they would be more fully functional than the lapdock with Bionic. However, to use them with 3G/4G connectivity would cost, I believe $15 for 2GB or $30 for unlimited Hotspot from the phone(or more for standalone 3G/4G). So, to make it equal to the Lapdock, I would need to pay $30 per month for the next 2 years($30 x 24 = $720.00)

So, in my view, for someone who wants a laptop type experience with constant (and legitimate) 3G/4G connectivity the choice is the Lapdock for $200 to $300 or a netbook or Laptop PLUS 3G/4G data for $1000+ for the next 2 years. (of course someone could just use an unauthorized app to avoid paying for the tethering or hotspot data but I think Verizon is going to make that harder to do in the future and I would rather do this legitimately given the option)

Reactions: twospirits

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Anyone see the "Lapdock100"? It looks to have a way better keyboard, and uses a cable to connect the phone instead if a fold out dock, so it works with any Motorola phone. I'm taking my lapdock back tomorrow and buying the new one.

SnydersWeb

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Anyone see the "Lapdock100"? It looks to have a way better keyboard, and uses a cable to connect the phone instead if a fold out dock, so it works with any Motorola phone. I'm taking my lapdock back tomorrow and buying the new one.

Only thing I've seen is that the screen on this one is smaller than what we currently have. Either way I'm all for Moto pushing this idea.. the more phones that have it, the more attention this will get. Offhand I think the biggest reason Moto is pushing this is that it is a "differentiator" from their competition.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with it.. biggest thing is a native Firefox style Remote Desktop App.

diale

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'll tell you where mine is really paying off. As a tool, I can now use my phone as a remote access device for the network I support, accessing both RDP and VNC over 4G from practically anywhere. The screen is large enough that I can work with a Windows desktop easily. The only shortcoming is Google/Android's absolute refusal to support any mainstream VPN clients. This is FAR more constraining than response, form, and feature. As for the latter, has anyone seen the Lapdock 500 Pro? I wonder if it will be compatible with the Bionic?

bengalitiger89

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I just got the original Lapdock for my Atrix 4G.

I have one very irritating problem: I can not use the phone in "mobile view".

I have tried using the arrow keys, the touchpad and turned the phone off and on, disabled sleep mode and even removed the screen lock but the mobile view remains frozen on the last screen I use on the phone before plugging it into the lapdock and unresponsive to my attempts to use the phone.

Is this a common problem? My phone is rooted, but I don't think that should have any effect on using the mobile view.

Thanks in advance.

harpdoc

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
$80 is a good deal. I got a refurb Atrix lapdock for $75. They are very easy to convert to work on the Bionic. Instructions are on XDA. If you root your Bionic then overclock it (instructions on Rootzwiki), it's much less laggy and a better experience.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463