Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts

Default Re: Lapdock Owners...let's collaborate here!

My lapdock arrived yesterday. I am over the moon. Yes, I'll acknowledge some of the weaknesses, but overall this thing is amazing when you consider it's just an extension of my phone! As many have said - $300 is way too much. $80 is an absolute steal.

I'm finding the trackpad to be just fine - I've heard complaints about responsiveness, but it works great for me. I do have to hold my palms up a bit more when I type. I do plan to put a mouse on it and turn the trackpad off - I've never liked them.

Web surfing is great - I've mostly played with it on a strong WiFi signal at home, so I haven't given it the true test yet. I will be taking it to a meeting tomorrow to take notes and that will give it more of a workout.

So far I'm in love. Will it replace my laptop for web surfing and stuff like that? Hmm...it's possible. I'm not a power computer user or a gamer...we'll just wait and see.
    Thanked by:

For me, this is more of a external battery charger with a keyboard which lets me use my phone longer and allows for easier typing.

Seeing as the RAZR's leaked WebTop mode is basically now the tablet version of Android, we may see a performance boost in "webtop" as well as tablet native apps can be installed locally. I'm looking forward to the ICS update for Bionic if it's anything like the RAZR update.
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Bionic Stock Kernel

Has there been any sign of an RDP client? I still believe that an RDP client for this thing would make it deeply awesome.
    " Faith and reason are the shoes on your feet! You can travel further with both than you can with just one."
    - J. Michael Straczynski

No.. there's a built in Citrix ICA client but you'd need a Xendesktop set up.. =/
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.

I did my research on this product, saw it first at CES 2011, so I really wanted to buy one. Original $400 pricetag was way too high, and for $80 I couldn't resist.

I haven't had any of the issues as posted above, really wish the touch pad could scroll, but it's nice you can disable it altogether.

Here are my issues:
    1.) The left and right carrots don't work in mobile view.
    2.) Caps lock light is ON when caps lock is on, but it's the REVERSE in the mobile view

I don't mind it so much, since it looks like it only plagues the mobile view, j/w if this is a bug or a "feature"

The lapdock has a dedicated battery, which is why I love it, you can get like 20 hours out of this before dying (it claims). But memory, cpu power, gpu power, that all comes from the phone.

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts

Used mine to take minutes at a meeting yesterday evening. The others at the meeting were fascinated by it - we used the first 10 minutes of the meeting as a "Lapdock Presentation."

Worked like a charm. I am very very pleased to say the least. Took minutes, saved minutes, emailed minutes all on the spot. I'm still in love.

I love the keyboard, though I'm having to "downsize" my reach a little bit. The more I use it the less likely I am to overreach keys and mistype. I love the feel though. I've had no trouble with the "must hit the space bar in the middle" that I've seen in other reviews.

ROM
    Bionic Stock Kernel

incidentally:

$90
    " Faith and reason are the shoes on your feet! You can travel further with both than you can with just one."
    - J. Michael Straczynski
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,236 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SnydersWeb View Post
    incidentally:

$90
    Nice find. Anyone use that site before?
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,236 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sniffs View Post
    For me, this is more of a external battery charger with a keyboard which lets me use my phone longer and allows for easier typing.

Seeing as the RAZR's leaked WebTop mode is basically now the tablet version of Android, we may see a performance boost in "webtop" as well as tablet native apps can be installed locally. I'm looking forward to the ICS update for Bionic if it's anything like the RAZR update.
    I'm very excited about ICS tablet mode. It should make the experience much much better.

Quote Originally Posted by SnydersWeb View Post
    incidentally:

$90
    This is what Amazon matched it with. Is this the same lapdock / will it work with the Bionic?

Amazon.com: AT&T Laptop Dock for Motorola ATRIX 4G - Retail Packaging: Cell Phones & Accessories

I am trying to use Splashtop with my Lapdock to run Windows programs on my desktop. Everything works great except I can not control the cursor on the desktop. Any ideas?
    Never mind, if you left click and hold it down, you can move the cursor on the PC screen.
    Last edited by Dale Griggs; 04-19-2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Added stuff

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Nice find. Anyone use that site before?
    Yes - it's a part of DailySteals.com. Their service is just fine - I purchased a Palm Pixi from them before HP ruined everything. Order with confidence.

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lighting Guy View Post
    This is what Amazon matched it with. Is this the same lapdock / will it work with the Bionic?

Amazon.com: AT&T Laptop Dock for Motorola ATRIX 4G - Retail Packaging: Cell Phones & Accessories
    NO the Atrix and Bionic connectors are oriented differently - the two docks are not compatible with both phones.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

I took advantage of the $50 blowout sale on the Atrix Lapdock. Thing is, I have a Droid 4 and I knew it wasn't compatible. I read other blogs that said the conversion process is easy.
    Sure enough, it is.
    When I got the lapdock, I noticed that the HDMI and Micro USB connectors were upside down. They were in the right position, just upside down. I removed two small screws that were hidden behind a round patch, lifted up the dock rest, removed two other small screws that held the two connectors in place. Because the plastic is molded to the upside-down version, I used a small dremel to route out the holes so they looked square. I then flipped the two connectors right side up, put back the spacer between the two and put the bracing bracket back on with the two screws. I then screwed the rest back in position and put the two sticky circles back in place to hide the screws.

Total time: 10 minutes.

The lapdock works great. You can choose from different modes and works the same as if it were a Lapdock 100. It's really nice.

If anyone else has done this can you answer this question...On every demo I've seen of this, there is an 'Entertainment Center' icon. I don't see it on this lapdock. I think it's because this is a Droid 4 rather than the Atrix. If it is, is there a way around this?

Also, are there any firmware upgrades for the lapdock? Or is this a function of the phone itself?

I look forward to reading all the other posts in this forum. Thanks in advance!

ROM
    2.3.4/ 1.4.1/ 4.0.3

What is everyone doing about the low memory issue? I downloaded a task killer (something I stopped using years ago) and that hasn't seemed to help. Nor does the stock task manager. When I kill apps, I see the CPU usage go down but it only lasts about 10 min before I get another Low Memory warning (just go one as I typed that...)

My "Droid Bionic" memory is usually hovering around 78% and Firefox around 10%

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Mostly not using webtop

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,236 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rpscott02 View Post
    What is everyone doing about the low memory issue? I downloaded a task killer (something I stopped using years ago) and that hasn't seemed to help. Nor does the stock task manager. When I kill apps, I see the CPU usage go down but it only lasts about 10 min before I get another Low Memory warning (just go one as I typed that...)

Before I hook my phone up to the lapdock, I run the Task Manager and end all non-essential tasks which gets me to around 50-60% on the phone after launching Webtop.

I try not to have too many Firefox tabs open and every ten minutes or so, I'm checking usage.

This is why I can't recommend the current Webtop experience to any non-techie.

I sure hope when the DROID Bionic gets ICS, that they switch to ICS tablet mode as seen in the DROID RAZR Webtop 3.0-beta leak.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

On the buggy side, anyone else notice the keyboard mapping is off for > and < ?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    2.3.4/ 1.4.1/ 4.0.3

Before I hook my phone up to the lapdock, I run the Task Manager and end all non-essential tasks which gets me to around 50-60% on the phone after launching Webtop.

I try not to have too many Firefox tabs open and every ten minutes or so, I'm checking usage.

This is why I can't recommend the current Webtop experience to any non-techie.

I sure hope when the DROID Bionic gets ICS, that they switch to ICS tablet mode as seen in the DROID RAZR Webtop 3.0-beta leak.
    I do the same, ending just about app and the best I can do is 69-71%. I suppose you're rooted which I suppose is the difference

Ry

Global Posts
    7,236 Global Posts

I do the same, ending just about app and the best I can do is 69-71%. I suppose you're rooted which I suppose is the difference

Not rooted. Completely stock.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

ROM
    2.3.4/ 1.4.1/ 4.0.3

Not rooted. Completely stock.
    Dang. Not sure what's happening then. I barely keep 1 firefox window open on the lapdock

Ry

Global Posts
    7,236 Global Posts

Dang. Not sure what's happening then. I barely keep 1 firefox window open on the lapdock

Killed some tasks before connecting right now - Bionic was at 56%.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts

I usually see the Bionic memory at about 66% and Firefox about like you're experiencing. I find I can run all day long if I just have one Firefox window open - if I have two I might get the memory message after a bit, and if more than that I will for sure. For what I do with it just using a single window works just fine, but if I really wanted to use more tabs I would be a little grumpy...
    Thanked by:
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,236 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bbycrts View Post
    I usually see the Bionic memory at about 66% and Firefox about like you're experiencing. I find I can run all day long if I just have one Firefox window open - if I have two I might get the memory message after a bit, and if more than that I will for sure. For what I do with it just using a single window works just fine, but if I really wanted to use more tabs I would be a little grumpy...
    When ICS comes to the Bionic, I really hope it has Webtop 3.0. This should help out a lot - instead of running a Webtop App, everything will be native.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo

ROM
    .232 ICS Leak

I just got my converted Atrix dock working, and I'm loving it. No, it's not as powerful as a full computer. It's plenty good for the majority of the "computer" work I do which is mostly internet based.

I haven't had to pull my laptop out all evening, I've been using the dock instead. Perfect!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast