Lapdock Owners...let's collaborate here!

jimdibb

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I just got my 85$ dock. For that little money there's not much to complain about. For any other newbies, things I've found:
The first startup was scary. Seemed like it was endlessly rebooting. Then I set the screentimeout to. 30 min and it seemed to have stopped that. Maybe it was just initial booting pains.

Surprised there are not more webtop native apps. But, I didn't do any research, just bought it based on the sale price. I guess since you can blow the native apps up to full screen, that might not be that big a deal. Using the tapatalk app right now.

The keyboard isn't the best , but I wouldn't be typing all this on the screen keyboard. So, it's good enough.

The touchpad not scrolling is kind of weird, but I'm making a lot of use of the keyboard arrow keys. Maybe I'll get a mouse too. Other keyboard tips include the 'Esc' key functions as the back button in Mobile View and the Ctrl key functions as the Menu button. Also, the left Alt+left arrow work as the Back button in Firefox, just like on a PC (though I don't know why the right-Alt key doesn't seem to work the same way.)
Firefox seems pretty unstable with youtube videos, especially in full screen.

I keep hitting the low memory warning but it did make me look at all the apps that were consuming ram and uninstall a few that I don't need anymore.

Compared to the bionic screen, the surface of the laptop picks up finger prints like crazy.

The phone battery seems like it will last forever, since it's own screen isn't in use, but I guess I'm not checking the lapdock's battery-- which is charging it. The little button for checking the battery doesn't really seem to do anything. Oh, checking the directions, the indicators are right next to the button, but very faint. 2 out of 5 right now, time to plug in before long.

It's easy to turn the touchpad off to keep from accidentally hitting it while typing.

The phone offers to go into productivity dock mode when the lapdock screen is closed. That's a pretty good display there. I'm guessing when it goes in the bedside dock though, it might have knocked out my bedside settings, I'll have to check. Turns out it is smart enough to know the difference between the docks and use the appropriate docked program.

I'm dissapointed it doesn't use the same charger as the phone, though I guess that can be expected. I probably won't want to get another ps so I can have one at work and one at home.

Tasker app needs an update that allows it to differentiate being in the basic dock vs being in the lapdock. I'd like different settings in each... but I'm not using Tasker much these days.

I can say, email, tapatalk -- things where I type, are going to be much more heavily used... rather than waiting to hit the desktop to use them.

More thoughts as I hit them.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dandroide

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I just got my 85$ dock. For that little money there's not much to complain about. For any other newbies, things I've found:

The first startup was scary. Seemed like it was endlessly rebooting. Then I set the screen timeout to. 30 min and it seemed to have stopped that. Maybe it was just initial booting pains.

Surprised there are not more webtop native apps. But, I didn't do any research, just bought it based on the sale price. I guess since you can blow the native apps up to full screen, that might not be that big a deal. Using the tapatalk app right now.

Me too...couldn't pass up on that deal! Well, as for the "native apps", that should be resolved when we go to ICS...totally redesigned webdock software.

The keyboard isn't the best , but I wouldn't be typing all this on the screen keyboard. So, it's good enough.

True, but the only real problem I have had is that you have to hit the Spacebar towards the center or it misses a space sometime.

The touchpad not scrolling is kind of weird, but I'm making a lot of use of the keyboard arrow keys. Maybe I'll get a mouse too.

I am using a Wireless Mouse I hooked up to my USB port which has a scroll wheel. I ordered a Small netbook mouse on Amazon for 8.80 delivered to use with my Lapdock.

Other keyboard tips include the 'Esc' key functions as the back button in Mobile View and the Ctrl key functions as the Menu button. Also, the left Alt+left arrow work as the Back button in Firefox, just like on a PC (though I don't know why the right-Alt key doesn't seem to work the same way.)
Firefox seems pretty unstable with youtube videos, especially in full screen.

Thanks for the Tips, I didn't know those.

I keep hitting the low memory warning but it did make me look at all the apps that were consuming ram and uninstall a few that I don't need anymore.

Totally agree, I get the low memory popping up quite a bit. I have shut down a few apps to keep running. Again, I think the release of ICS will cure most of this. It enables use of BOTH cpu cores for multi-tasking and it will use the ICS browser for the Lapdock instead of Firefox. On my PC, while in Task Manager, Firefox uses a TON of memory. On a bad note regarding loosing Firefox, we will lose the ability to watch Hulu without subscribing/paying for Hulu plus.

Compared to the bionic screen, the surface of the laptop picks up finger prints like crazy.

You are totally correct, smudge city! I am going to experiment with a little car polish (in a small area around the keyboard) to see if that helps.

The phone battery seems like it will last forever, since it's own screen isn't in use, but I guess I'm not checking the lapdock's battery-- which is charging it. The little button for checking the battery doesn't really seem to do anything. Oh, checking the directions, the indicators are right next to the button, but very faint. 2 out of 5 right now, time to plug in before long.

It does last a long time. I didn't realize, at first, that the Lapdock had a battery...I thought it worked off the Bionic's battery only. I wonder how long it would last while watching movies on a flight. I must do a trial run at home, testing.

It's easy to turn the touchpad off to keep from accidentally hitting it while typing.

You are right, I turn mine off when my USB mouse is on.

The phone offers to go into productivity dock mode when the lapdock screen is closed. That's a pretty good display there. I'm guessing when it goes in the bedside dock though, it might have knocked out my bedside settings, I'll have to check.

I haven't checked that out yet.

I'm disappointed it doesn't use the same charger as the phone, though I guess that can be expected. I probably won't want to get another ps so I can have one at work and one at home.

I agree, I would like to be able to use more chargers since I move around. I was unable to find where to buy a Spare charger or a Car Charger for that matter.

Tasker app needs an update that allows it to differentiate being in the basic dock vs being in the lapdock. I'd like different settings in each... but I'm not using Tasker much these days.

I use Tasker a lot and I was trying to figure out how to tell Tasker when I'm in Lapdock for my profiles.

I can say, email, tapatalk -- things where I type, are going to be much more heavily used... rather than waiting to hit the desktop to use them.

I use the Firefox browser a lot for the forums. I just Zoom in. Just like on a PC, I can Zoom in fast holding down CTRL and using the scroll wheel.

More thoughts as I hit them.

Thanks for your thoughts!!!

Dan :)

Last edited:

rpscott02

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Guys, I'm in the exact same boat. Got it on the $85 deal and experiencing the same issues. Low memory, sketchy keyboard, no multi-touch trackpad. However for $85 I'm pretty pleased. Had I paid retail (I wouldn't have) I would have been pretty upset but now I can work with it. Thanks for the keyboard shortcuts!

As for the webtop apps - are there any that run in full screen like Mozilla does?

Dandroide

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
As for the webtop apps - are there any that run in full screen like Mozilla does?

I don't think you're asking this but any app can be run full screen...just hit LANDSCAPE than the full screen icon.

What I do think you mean is, if there are any apps that open in a Desktop mode like Firefox/Mozilla does for the browser.

I just wanted to point out the differences for those just getting their Lapdocks and haven't figured it out yet.

Dan :cool:

bbycrts

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
My lapdock arrived yesterday. I am over the moon. Yes, I'll acknowledge some of the weaknesses, but overall this thing is amazing when you consider it's just an extension of my phone! As many have said - $300 is way too much. $80 is an absolute steal.

I'm finding the trackpad to be just fine - I've heard complaints about responsiveness, but it works great for me. I do have to hold my palms up a bit more when I type. I do plan to put a mouse on it and turn the trackpad off - I've never liked them.

Web surfing is great - I've mostly played with it on a strong WiFi signal at home, so I haven't given it the true test yet. I will be taking it to a meeting tomorrow to take notes and that will give it more of a workout.

So far I'm in love. Will it replace my laptop for web surfing and stuff like that? Hmm...it's possible. I'm not a power computer user or a gamer...we'll just wait and see.

Reactions: Dandroide

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
For me, this is more of a external battery charger with a keyboard which lets me use my phone longer and allows for easier typing.

Seeing as the RAZR's leaked WebTop mode is basically now the tablet version of Android, we may see a performance boost in "webtop" as well as tablet native apps can be installed locally. I'm looking forward to the ICS update for Bionic if it's anything like the RAZR update.

Reactions: Dandroide

SnydersWeb

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Has there been any sign of an RDP client? I still believe that an RDP client for this thing would make it deeply awesome.

isunktheship

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I did my research on this product, saw it first at CES 2011, so I really wanted to buy one. Original $400 pricetag was way too high, and for $80 I couldn't resist.

I haven't had any of the issues as posted above, really wish the touch pad could scroll, but it's nice you can disable it altogether.

Here are my issues:
1.) The left and right carrots don't work in mobile view.
2.) Caps lock light is ON when caps lock is on, but it's the REVERSE in the mobile view

I don't mind it so much, since it looks like it only plagues the mobile view, j/w if this is a bug or a "feature"

The lapdock has a dedicated battery, which is why I love it, you can get like 20 hours out of this before dying (it claims). But memory, cpu power, gpu power, that all comes from the phone.

bbycrts

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Used mine to take minutes at a meeting yesterday evening. The others at the meeting were fascinated by it - we used the first 10 minutes of the meeting as a "Lapdock Presentation."

Worked like a charm. I am very very pleased to say the least. Took minutes, saved minutes, emailed minutes all on the spot. I'm still in love.

I love the keyboard, though I'm having to "downsize" my reach a little bit. The more I use it the less likely I am to overreach keys and mistype. I love the feel though. I've had no trouble with the "must hit the space bar in the middle" that I've seen in other reviews.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
For me, this is more of a external battery charger with a keyboard which lets me use my phone longer and allows for easier typing.

Seeing as the RAZR's leaked WebTop mode is basically now the tablet version of Android, we may see a performance boost in "webtop" as well as tablet native apps can be installed locally. I'm looking forward to the ICS update for Bionic if it's anything like the RAZR update.

I'm very excited about ICS tablet mode. It should make the experience much much better.

Dale Griggs

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I am trying to use Splashtop with my Lapdock to run Windows programs on my desktop. Everything works great except I can not control the cursor on the desktop. Any ideas?
Never mind, if you left click and hold it down, you can move the cursor on the PC screen.

Last edited:

kentrubin

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I took advantage of the $50 blowout sale on the Atrix Lapdock. Thing is, I have a Droid 4 and I knew it wasn't compatible. I read other blogs that said the conversion process is easy.
Sure enough, it is.
When I got the lapdock, I noticed that the HDMI and Micro USB connectors were upside down. They were in the right position, just upside down. I removed two small screws that were hidden behind a round patch, lifted up the dock rest, removed two other small screws that held the two connectors in place. Because the plastic is molded to the upside-down version, I used a small dremel to route out the holes so they looked square. I then flipped the two connectors right side up, put back the spacer between the two and put the bracing bracket back on with the two screws. I then screwed the rest back in position and put the two sticky circles back in place to hide the screws.

Total time: 10 minutes.

The lapdock works great. You can choose from different modes and works the same as if it were a Lapdock 100. It's really nice.

If anyone else has done this can you answer this question...On every demo I've seen of this, there is an 'Entertainment Center' icon. I don't see it on this lapdock. I think it's because this is a Droid 4 rather than the Atrix. If it is, is there a way around this?

Also, are there any firmware upgrades for the lapdock? Or is this a function of the phone itself?

I look forward to reading all the other posts in this forum. Thanks in advance!

rpscott02

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
What is everyone doing about the low memory issue? I downloaded a task killer (something I stopped using years ago) and that hasn't seemed to help. Nor does the stock task manager. When I kill apps, I see the CPU usage go down but it only lasts about 10 min before I get another Low Memory warning (just go one as I typed that...)

My "Droid Bionic" memory is usually hovering around 78% and Firefox around 10%

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk