Lapdock Owners...let's collaborate here!

Yaish

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Can you use Hulu from the browser? I was doing that quite a bit before.

Do you have Amazon Prime? Do you know if that works from the browser still as well?

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
In the new webtop mode, instead of some funky thin ubuntu client with a full firefox, it now turns the webtop into an android tablet!

You can,

1. Run android tablet apps in tablet mode.(requires both phone and tablet apps to be installed)
2. Use Chrome gives you still the ability to run desktop websites and it works great.
3. Much faster than that ubuntu mode.

I'm SUPER impressed by this, it's so badass.

Reactions: Yaish and Ry

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
In the new webtop mode, instead of some funky thin ubuntu client with a full firefox, it now turns the webtop into an android tablet!

You can,

1. Run android tablet apps in tablet mode.(requires both phone and tablet apps to be installed)
2. Use Chrome gives you still the ability to run desktop websites and it works great.
3. Much faster than that ubuntu mode.

I'm SUPER impressed by this, it's so badass.

Any quirks with the leaked builds?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Any quirks with the leaked builds?

No, that's the odd thing. Since the RAZR and Bionic are almost the exact hardware, I think Motorola was building this at the same time as the RAZR build.

Every single thing works on it. 3G/4G, data, phone calls, sound, 2d hardware accel.. and since the RAZR's cpu was at 1.2ghz and the Bionic's was underclocked to 1.0ghz on Gingerbread, when you install ICS, it puts it back to 1.2ghz just like the RAZR.

It's a huge huge performance boost to the Bionic, night and day difference. Almost 2x quadrant scores now. It's one of the best leaked builds on any phone I've ever installed.. everything works!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
No, that's the odd thing. Since the RAZR and Bionic are almost the exact hardware, I think Motorola was building this at the same time as the RAZR build.

Every single thing works on it. 3G/4G, data, phone calls, sound, 2d hardware accel.. and since the RAZR's cpu was at 1.2ghz and the Bionic's was underclocked to 1.0ghz on Gingerbread, when you install ICS, it puts it back to 1.2ghz just like the RAZR.

It's a huge huge performance boost to the Bionic, night and day difference. Almost 2x quadrant scores now. It's one of the best leaked builds on any phone I've ever installed.. everything works!

Did you have to install another launcher to get Webtop working correctly?

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Did you have to install another launcher to get Webtop working correctly?

Yeah, that's the only downside, SystemUI kept crashing. I am running ADW Launcher EX and it works fine.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, that's the only downside, SystemUI kept crashing. I am running ADW Launcher EX and it works fine.

Ahh. Thanks.

I'll hold off until there's a leak that launches Webtop properly. I'm not a fan of third-party launchers.

Yaish

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I'll also confirm that a 3rd party launcher is needed for Webtop to work.

I'll also at least partially answer my own questions from above about Amazon Prime. You cannot watch it using the Chrome Beta as it doesn't support Flash. I haven't had the time to see if I can get the new Firefox or any other browser to work. I'll report back when I have answers, and Hulu too.

Reactions: Ry

Yaish

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
After playing around with it for a good part of the evening I have to say the new webtop 3.0 sucks.

It works about as well as navigating a touch screen interface with a mouse and keyboard sounds like it would work - poorly. You've got to swipe instead of scroll, closing or minimizing apps is less intuitive and requires more movement, and worst of all is no true desktop browser.

I've tried stock, Chrome, Firefox, Dolphin HD, and Skyfire and none will run Hulu or Amazon Prime. Even forcing desktop site or using the proxy setting doesn't work. It's basically made my lapdock completely worthless to me. I used to use the lapdock in lieu of my laptop because it was easier to use and did just as good a job. Now I find the experience extremely frustrating and just flat out not worth it.

If I wanted a tablet with a touchscreen that didn't work I'd have bought one of those cheap chinese knock-offs. This is a SEVERE downgrade in my opinion.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
After playing around with it for a good part of the evening I have to say the new webtop 3.0 sucks.

It works about as well as navigating a touch screen interface with a mouse and keyboard sounds like it would work - poorly. You've got to swipe instead of scroll, closing or minimizing apps is less intuitive and requires more movement, and worst of all is no true desktop browser.

I've tried stock, Chrome, Firefox, Dolphin HD, and Skyfire and none will run Hulu or Amazon Prime. Even forcing desktop site or using the proxy setting doesn't work. It's basically made my lapdock completely worthless to me. I used to use the lapdock in lieu of my laptop because it was easier to use and did just as good a job. Now I find the experience extremely frustrating and just flat out not worth it.

If I wanted a tablet with a touchscreen that didn't work I'd have bought one of those cheap chinese knock-offs. This is a SEVERE downgrade in my opinion.

Did you like the previous version of Webtop?

bl024292

May 11, 2010
Visit site
The user interface is literally annoying. Your using a mouse to swipe between screens and as said hulu, prime don't work, ughhh

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The user interface is literally annoying. Your using a mouse to swipe between screens and as said hulu, prime don't work, ughhh

Did you use the prior version of Webtop?

Yaish

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Did you like the previous version of Webtop?

The previous version of webtop had it's own issues, but it was still a usable product. The biggest problem it had was the low memory errors but that was manageable if you kept your tabs to a minimum.
Phone apps looked like crap but I didn't use them. If I wanted to use a phone app I used the phone. I wanted the lapdock for the laptop type experience.

That is completely taken away now. What we have now is a tablet without a touchscreen, that still doesn't display apps correctly and took away the main user function I paid for, the desktop browser. I feel like I just bought a car and the dealer came back and replaced my wheels with square tires.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The previous version of webtop had it's own issues, but it was still a usable product. The biggest problem it had was the low memory errors but that was manageable if you kept your tabs to a minimum.
Phone apps looked like crap but I didn't use them. If I wanted to use a phone app I used the phone. I wanted the lapdock for the laptop type experience.

That is completely taken away now. What we have now is a tablet without a touchscreen, that still doesn't display apps correctly and took away the main user function I paid for, the desktop browser. I feel like I just bought a car and the dealer came back and replaced my wheels with square tires.

The lag with just one tab in Firefox was barely usable for me.

The new Webtop performs much better, IMO.

rpscott02

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Waited for OTA and thus far I agree with Ry. Webtop much more usable & no memory problems. I like the it like a tablet... Seems better integrated with the phone

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

rpscott02

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
It's also cool that they let us access Webtop without a dock. All u need is an hdmi cable and your phone becomes a mouse pad. Pretty sweet. Had fun playing Jetpack Joyride on by 42". Nice move moto

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance