Should I Get the Bionic? - Coming from a Droid Charge

ts47

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I own a Samsung Droid Charge 4G phone. My frustration with this phone is the bluetooth performance. Without telling too long a story, there are times when using a bluetooth headset (which as a REALTOR I do a lot) when I can hear the person I call but they can't hear me. I never know if that message I left for my client can be heard or not. I've tried 3 different phones and 2 different headsets with no luck making the problem go away. So, VZW offered to let me try a different phone.

Does the Bionic have any bluetooth headset problems? Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I should try the Bionic over the Charge?

The pros to the Bionic seem to be
1. The dual core processor. It is faster than my Charge.
2. A VZW belt clip that actually has room for the extended battery!
3. Gingerbread 2.3.4. The Charge is supposed to get 2.3.4, then another update to 2.3.5. Problem is... I'm getting tired of waiting for it and don't know if either will fix my bluetooth problem.

The negatives seem to be
1. Reboots with the Bionic - I don't know how wide spread this problem is. I've never had that problem with my Charge.
2. Apps disappearing on the Bionic - Again, I don't know how widespread a problem this is. I've never had this problem either.
3. The Bionic screen is not as nice as the Charge. Though in the store, they both looked pretty good.

The 3G/4G handoff issue seems to be a bug with all VZW 4G phones.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

mbentley3

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
The negatives seem to be
1. Reboots with the Bionic - My phone has rebooted on its own once (that I know of) since ive owned it
2. Apps disappearing on the Bionic - Due to the way the storage is setup/labeled on this phone some apps will not be recognized if you move them to the SD storage. Just dont move the apps, plenty of room for apps on the internal storage. Atleast until app. makers figure out how to code for the file structure
3. The Bionic screen is not as nice as the Charge. I really dont see the issue with the Bionic screen, some people just dont like pentile. Personal preference I guess, the screen looks brilliant outdoors which I love

The 3G/4G handoff issue seems to be a bug with all VWZ 4G phones. This is an issue that should be patched in Nov.

Bionic is a great phone that has its growing pains like any new device, we are supposed to be getting a patch for alot of bugs in Nov. I dont own a Charge so I cant compare the two, but above is my opinion on your concerns.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
My wife has a charge and I have a bionic. Display is different of course. I like my bionic though. Screen looks gorgeous outdoors. I wasn't able to see it on my tbolt

dhp106

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Pros definitely outweigh the cons IMO. I had the charge also glad I switched.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
My Bionic runs perfectly AND takes great pictures. If you decide to get it and you have problems, take it back. Also, based on the processor used in the Bionic, it looks like it will be getting ICS long before other devices that are already released.

ts47

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
The negatives seem to be
1. Reboots with the Bionic - My phone has rebooted on its own once (that I know of) since ive owned it
2. Apps disappearing on the Bionic - Due to the way the storage is setup/labeled on this phone some apps will not be recognized if you move them to the SD storage. Just dont move the apps, plenty of room for apps on the internal storage. Atleast until app. makers figure out how to code for the file structure
3. The Bionic screen is not as nice as the Charge. I really dont see the issue with the Bionic screen, some people just dont like pentile. Personal preference I guess, the screen looks brilliant outdoors which I love

The 3G/4G handoff issue seems to be a bug with all VWZ 4G phones. This is an issue that should be patched in Nov.

Bionic is a great phone that has its growing pains like any new device, we are supposed to be getting a patch for alot of bugs in Nov. I dont own a Charge so I cant compare the two, but above is my opinion on your concerns.

Mbently3,

Thanks for the response!

How long have you owned your Bionic? Do you use the bluetooth? If so, have you experienced any any problems?

I don't have a problem waiting for the maintenance release on the Bionic. I've owned the Charge since it was released. Samsung pushed a maintenace release to the Charge sometime back that fixed most of the initial bugs. My deal killer with the Charge is the bluetooth problem. If I switch phones, I just want to avoid finding another deal killer with the new phone.

Last edited:

ts47

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
My Bionic runs perfectly AND takes great pictures. If you decide to get it and you have problems, take it back. Also, based on the processor used in the Bionic, it looks like it will be getting ICS long before other devices that are already released.

If the Bionic does get ICS, it will be a lot easier waiting for ICS on the Bionic than it has been waiting for GB on the Charge!

Do you use your bluetooth? Any Problems?

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Last edited:

Syounger64

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I own a Samsung Droid Charge 4G phone. My frustration with this phone is the bluetooth performance. Without telling too long a story, there are times when using a bluetooth headset (which as a REALTOR I do a lot) when I can hear the person I call but they can't hear me. I never know if that message I left for my client can be heard or not. I've tried 3 different phones and 2 different headsets with no luck making the problem go away. So, VZW offered to let me try a different phone.

Does the Bionic have any bluetooth headset problems? Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I should try the Bionic over the Charge?

The pros to the Bionic seem to be
1. The dual core processor. It is faster than my Charge.
2. A VZW belt clip that actually has room for the extended battery!
3. Gingerbread 2.3.4. The Charge is supposed to get 2.3.4, then another update to 2.3.5. Problem is... I'm getting tired of waiting for it and don't know if either will fix my bluetooth problem.

The negatives seem to be
1. Reboots with the Bionic - I don't know how wide spread this problem is. I've never had that problem with my Charge. My Bionic only rebooted once. How would you know if you never had that problem with your Charge? Do you sit and watch it 24-7? :-!
2. Apps disappearing on the Bionic - Again, I don't know how widespread a problem this is. I've never had this problem either. Verizon will address this. Just don't move apps to sd for now. Bionic has PLENTY of space anyway. :)
3. The Bionic screen is not as nice as the Charge. Though in the store, they both looked pretty good.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;) My screen looks GREAT outside. Can't say the same for the Charge or many other phones.
The 3G/4G handoff issue seems to be a bug with all VZW 4G phones. Meh...it'll be fixed.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Syounger64

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
If the Bionic does get ICS, it will be a lot easier waiting for ICS on the Bionic than it has been waiting for GB on the Charge! There's no "IFs". Bionic will get the ICS.

Do you use your bluetooth? Any Problems?

Thanks for the responses everyone!

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I use the Bluetooth extensively with no problems whatsoever. I did have Bluetooth connectivity issues with my Thunderbolt. I didn't have any like you described, but it would disconnect at will, sometimes not reconnecting for hours or days.

ts47

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I use the Bluetooth extensively with no problems whatsoever. I did have Bluetooth connectivity issues with my Thunderbolt. I didn't have any like you described, but it would disconnect at will, sometimes not reconnecting for hours or days.

Thanks Dan,

Given the problems I've had with my Charge, I'm anxious to make sure I don't repeat that problem with the Bionic or find any other deal killers.

To give you some idea how the bluetooth on my Charge works... I occasionally make calls where I can hear people, but they can't hear me. If I'm really careful how I pair my headset each day, make sure I remember to disconnect/turn off the headset prior to turning off the phone, and don't accidently walk away from the phone with my headset on, it works "most" of the time. If I do any of these things wrong, the problems will grow over a week or two until the headset won't pair with the phone anymore. I have to unpair the headset, turn off the phone, pull the battery and then start all over to get things working again. It's become a real pain!

prizeferret

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Given the problems I've had with my Charge, I'm anxious to make sure I don't repeat that problem with the Bionic or find any other deal killers.

Bluetooth problems were one of the primary reasons I traded my Charge for the Bionic. I'm happy to say I've had no BT problems with my Bionic. Same goes for GPS, whereas the Charge would be lost anytime I went indoors, or on a cloudy day, I don't think I've ever seen my Bionic search for more than 20 seconds.

ts47

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Bluetooth problems were one of the primary reasons I traded my Charge for the Bionic. I'm happy to say I've had no BT problems with my Bionic. Same goes for GPS, whereas the Charge would be lost anytime I went indoors, or on a cloudy day, I don't think I've ever seen my Bionic search for more than 20 seconds.

Thanks for the info. This is good to know! The GPS on my Charge is the same way. Have you had any problems with your Bionic?

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I was real excited about the Bionic after CES and I was very interested in having it be my first 4G phone. But when I actually saw it at the store and had a chance to play around with it I was unimpressed. Honestly it wasn't enough of an upgrade from my currant DX2. If you can wait the Droid Prime is coming out towards the end of the month. If the specs that have leaked to this pint are even close it will be my first 4G phone. There is a section here for the Prime as well if you want to check it out. Since it hasn't been released yet it is under rumored devices.

Best of luck to you.

ts47

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I was real excited about the Bionic after CES and I was very interested in having it be my first 4G phone. But when I actually saw it at the store and had a chance to play around with it I was unimpressed. Honestly it wasn't enough of an upgrade from my currant DX2. If you can wait the Droid Prime is coming out towards the end of the month. If the specs that have leaked to this pint are even close it will be my first 4G phone. There is a section here for the Prime as well if you want to check it out. Since it hasn't been released yet it is under rumored devices.

Best of luck to you.

Hi Live,

Thanks for the tip! I would prefer to get the Prime over the Bionic. It should be a better, faster phone with a much prettier screen.

My problem is that I'm getting the Bionic only because VZW agreed to let me trade up from my 4G Samsung Droid Charge which is causing problems. If I were actually spending money, I would wait for the Prime. Given that this is an VZW upgrade due to technical problems, I'm not sure the Prime is an option at this point.

Now if you have any ideas that I haven't considered that would allow me to get into a Prime, please feel free to share! :D

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi Live,

Thanks for the tip! I would prefer to get the Prime over the Bionic. It should be a better, faster phone with a much prettier screen.

My problem is that I'm getting the Bionic only because VZW agreed to let me trade up from my 4G Samsung Droid Charge which is causing problems. If I were actually spending money, I would wait for the Prime. Given that this is an VZW upgrade due to technical problems, I'm not sure the Prime is an option at this point.

Now if you have any ideas that I haven't considered that would allow me to get into a Prime, please feel free to share! :D

Dont commit to the trade up offer until you absolutely have to and hope the Prime comes out. Then sell the Bionic to recoup your cost of getting the Prime at retail.

OR

Get the Bionic now and activate a different phone (after the Bionic is activated). Then sell the Bionic to recoup your cost of getting the Prime at retail.

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi Live,

Have you tried working with Samsung directly, it may be worth the effort to contact them about your "ongoing" issues. As the manufacturer they may have access to resources that Verizon Wireless doesn't have. Here is some contact information from the Samsung home page for mobile phone support.

Mobile phones
1-888-987-HELP(4357)
Mon - Fri : 7am - 9pm (CST)
Sat : 9am - 6pm (CST)

There was a Xoom user that contacted Motorola directly about the lack of support and information concerning the 4G upgrade for the Xoom and Motorola sent him a free Bionic as compensation. He received it prior to the actual release date.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci