Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,627 Global Posts

Talking Bionic tips and tricks

I noticed there isn't a Tips and Tricks thread yet for the Bionic, so thought I'd start one...

While trying to organize my Bionic's apps into home screen folders that I created from widgets, I discovered an efficient way to do this using the stock App Tray. It may seem involved the first time through, but once you do it, it becomes easy. In about 20 minutes, I organized all my 156 apps into 9 folders - all now placed on my home screen. Also, you can access these folders individually via the upper left icon on the App Draw screen.

Here's how...

App Tray icon on home screen > icon on upper left corner of App Tray > New Group > Name it (ex: Media, Travel or ??) > press/hold folder icon on upper left corner > choose icon for the folder > THEN touch the icon immediately to the RIGHT of the folder name (a 3.5 floppy?) > Message "Empty group. select the "add" icon to add apps" > touch the "+" > apps list appears (check those you want in the folder) > OK

If you want to put the folder icon on your home screen - App Drawer > Press/hold folder icon in the upper left corner > touch selected folder > Add to Home.

You can add or delete apps from any folder at any time - or delete the whole folder, if you want. The presence of folders does NOT change the master App Drawer in any way.
    Always learning ...

Default Re: Bionic tips and tricks

If you don't want folders or a ton of apps on your home screen, there is a widget you can download called Circle Launcher and you put the app on your screen and add apps to it, it's really nice and it works great. You can make it so you can barely see the widget and can still see your background.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,627 Global Posts

I absolutely agree with you on the Circle Launcher. You can make more than one, even having multiple launchers on the same home screen, and now you can save the profiles. GREAT app! A huge amount of customizing possible. I have two of them active with the home screen icon barely visible. It's one of the best apps out there for convenience and a clean home screen!!
    Always learning ...
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,627 Global Posts

Another convenience for the home screen is the Audio Manager widget, free from Market, I believe.

It offers options to adjust the volume for System, Alarm, Media, Alerts, Ringer, and Voice - touch the screen widget, which graphically displays each volume level, and you get a screen of six sliders to adjust each.

This widget actually provides more options than the stock volume settings, specifically the System option, which isn't available otherwise. Keep that at the maximum and it will maximize all the other options.
    Always learning ...

I wouldn't like my Bionic nearly as much if I didn't have No Lock.
    Thanked by 2:
    sdz47 likes this.
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,699 Global Posts

I use Apps Organizer for this purpose. It's fast, clean and highly customizable. It looks stock it's so clean.

It's a free download from the market.

Global Posts
    646 Global Posts

Thanks for the instructions on how to create folders. Is there any way to get additional icons other than those stock black and white ones?

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dave1812dave View Post
    +1 .... I have no idea why the option of disabling the lock screen isn't built in to the OS.
    1812dave likes this.

Voice actions in the market. I love this app it is truly amazing. You communicate with your phone like the iPhone app siri. The only difference is we have had this app for a year now. Its free for Android, and get this, iPhone users have to pay 10 bucks for it.
    Game set match, Android
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,627 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sbudaj View Post
    Thanks for the instructions on how to create folders. Is there any way to get additional icons other than those stock black and white ones?
    At this point, I don't know of any ... but your thought crossed my mind as I set up my folders. Not very exciting icons in the stock. Maybe someone will figure that out??
    Always learning ...
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,627 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by potermac View Post
    Voice actions in the market. I love this app it is truly amazing. You communicate with your phone like the iPhone app siri. The only difference is we have had this app for a year now. Its free for Android, and get this, iPhone users have to pay 10 bucks for it.
    Game set match, Android
    Bingo! But the stock app Voice Command and the mic on the Google search widget have the same capabiities ... for free, also. Take that, iPhone.
    Always learning ...
    Banned

Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    ROM
    Lithium

Had no idea No Lock existed - great! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dave1812dave View Post
    Banned

Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    ROM
    Lithium

Voice Actions is Hilarious. My kids and I were yelling at it because it kept saying new york.
    compQueen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SSHGuru View Post
    Voice Actions is Hilarious. My kids and I were yelling at it because it kept saying new york.
    I have noticed the new York thing also. It happens when there is background noise. Try learning the ways it says to communicate and it needs to be quite.
    Hear is a goods one. Ask her "what is better iPhone or Android and" " how much wood could a wood chuck chuck". It is to funny.
    Once you get to understanding how to ask questions it really is amazing. I have been sending ask my texts and making calls using Jennifer Aniston. That's what I named her. Is that weird? yeah ok maybe a little weird. But she told me she likes her new name.haha
    compQueen likes this.

Just so you know, you ruined my planned Sunday afternoon of preparing for my Monday classes: I spent a delightful afternoon organizing my Bionic's apps using Circle Launcher. To be fair I probably wouldn't have done any prep work anyway.
    Arelunde likes this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,627 Global Posts

Researched this forum for an app that provides a screen icon to turn off the screen without using the physical on/off button on the top. Found the recommendation for Screen Off by iwashi soft. Costs a small amount, but just tap the icon and the screen goes dark, A few seconds later, the "keys" go dark as well. It's not a Power OFF thing; just a screen off. Saves wear and tear on the top on/off button.

Also, this app doesn't require changing administrative authorizations and allowing access to all personal data like some of the similar apps do. It's always a a good idea to check permissions before downloading any app.
    Always learning ...

Quote Originally Posted by Arelunde View Post
    Researched this forum for an app that provides a screen icon to turn off the screen without using the physical on/off button on the top. Found the recommendation for Screen Off by iwashi soft. Costs a small amount, but just tap the icon and the screen goes dark, A few seconds later, the "keys" go dark as well. It's not a Power OFF thing; just a screen off. Saves wear and tear on the top on/off button.

Also, this app doesn't require changing administrative authorizations and allowing access to all personal data like some of the similar apps do. It's always a a good idea to check permissions before downloading any app.

What Market did you find this at? I didn't see it in the Android Market...
    SUCCESS IS MY ONLY OPTION...FAILURE IS NOT !!
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,627 Global Posts

It is there, in Market. Search "screen off". There are a bunch of apps with similar names - you need to scroll down past the first screen. When I do this Market search, the "Screen Off" by Iwashi Soft is number 11 in the list. Icon is a solid blue circle with a white power symbol on it (circle with a vertical short line at the top). Hope you can find it.
    Always learning ...

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Or, If you search Iwashi Soft in the market, its the first thing on the list.

Hope that didn't sound smug...
    -Damien
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,627 Global Posts

Nope. Didn't know it is possible to search using the developer. Thanks!
    Always learning ...

I have a tip for anyone that is bothered by the audio whine. I was able to minimize it to a certain degree by adjusting the audio effects. Go to sound settings->media audio effects->wired stereo devices and choose a custom profile. Then turn the surround off and choose the equalizer as you like. I have mine set to bass punch and it seems to be a good balance. Turning the surround off seemed like it had a positive impact on decreasing the whine.
    Thanked by 4:

ROM
    N/A

From another forum that worked out well for me:

Take a penny and rub it at a 45 degree angle across the Verizon logo on the bottom of the phone on the chrome part very lightly. It should come right off. I did this and it did not scratch it for me at all and is as if the logo was never there, it was cheaply painted on it seems but now it's "debranded" aside from the "motorola" on top.

Not sure if this is a tip or trick but it is something that I just figured out. When you are playing music with the media player, I use the stock one that came on the phone, and the screen times out and goes black you can advance to the next track without having to unlock the screen. Just click the button on top to wake the screen and touch the little icon at the bottom that shows when you have media playing and it brings up a mini set of buttons (play/pause, fwd, rewind) all without having to actually unlock the screen.
    I accidentally discovered this while on the treadmill I was trying to unlock the screen and hit the media player icon at the bottom of the screen and the buttons popped up

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sbudaj View Post
    Phlashcut + Thaicons packs (yes it's an "a" in the...)

Could also use bettercut.

Not sure if you have to have a third party launcher installed - I use ADW ex, but works great and thousands of choices.

Quote Originally Posted by beermanmike View Post
    From another forum that worked out well for me:

Take a penny and rub it at a 45 degree angle across the Verizon logo on the bottom of the phone on the chrome part very lightly. It should come right off. I did this and it did not scratch it for me at all and is as if the logo was never there, it was cheaply painted on it seems but now it's "debranded" aside from the "motorola" on top.
    Best tip of all.... now if It was just as easy to remove all the bloatware....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast