VZW "abandoning" Bionic?

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I can seriously see this happening. It really makes no sense why Motorola is releasing such a similar phone so quickly. I didn't think at the Bionic release that we would see this phone before the end of the year but it seems to be ready alot quicker then expected.

If this device has LTE the Bionic might be in big trouble. The slimness with the rumored specs are pegging this phone to be a slick powerhouse. Early pictures of this phone next to the bionic make the bionic look HUGE! But if this is a 3g phone it won't harm the bionic at all since it will appeal to a different crowd.

If this phone is released as a Droid Flagship like the Bionic is now i think the Bionic will live in its shadow with a price reduction to 249. Charge just went to 199 so that price point makes sense and $50 wont make a difference to anyone if the phone is that much better.

If Motorola does this to people who are locked in to the Bionic, after making them wait 9 months i will loose alot of respect for the company. Glad i got out of this phone when i did.

Maybe, just maybe.....they did this for the ppl who waited 9 months for the Bionic and the Bionic is for the general public that didnt know the Bionic even existed? If the RAZR does come out soon...I honestly feel Motorola shoulda just scrapped the Bionic. The RAZR is a thinner Bionic with a different screen with what we know so far.

In no way am I saying the Bionic isnt a nice phone, just another perspective...and with as much money and effort as they invested in the Bionic marketing...I doubt they are abandoning it. Whats really wild is the Droid X2 and Droid 3 STILL dont have any DROID commercials....unless I missed them. If one wanted to say a phone was getting abandoned...lol

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
If Motorola does this to people who are locked in to the Bionic, after making them wait 9 months i will loose alot of respect for the company. Glad i got out of this phone when i did.

Yeah additionally.. Nobody has "done" anything to you or anyone who bought the bionic..

If you got it, you got a great phone, as advertised, and if you're going to freak out when something new comes out shortly thereafter with SLIGHTLY better specs, then you're in for a miserable experience in the tech world, lol. While I agree that with the RAZR coming out so soon it might have made some sense to not even bother with the bionic, its not like they tricked anyone and gave them a crap phone. The bionic is a great phone, and IMO its plenty thin and works fantastically (aside from some bugs which will be fixed with the first OTA update, which is going to be the case for almost EVERY brand new phone).

Additionally, most people on here are probably big enough tech-heads that they had to realize before the bionic came out that there will be phones with more impressive specs arriving shortly afterwards. You made a choice and got the bionic, so be happy with it and stop crying about .2 Mhz more speed that you would never even notice or a half a millimeter thickness difference. Who really cares?

It was your decision to go out and buy the phone, and its no company's fault for releasing more advanced stuff at whatever time frame they choose, nobody held a gun to anyone's head and made them buy this phone knowing something slightly better would be out in a month or two.

Reactions: TauntingBull

ninjataint

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I think it goes like this

If you like your bionic, you shouldn't worry about what is released next. That the next thing will be better is true for any phone.

If you don't like your bionic, you should have returned it a while ago.

Jeff43

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
How can something come out 2 months after the bionic and be that much better. I love my bionic I have had one our two issues that's it. I am confident the update will fix most issues. And there is no way we aren't getting ics. All though the razr may not have it either since ics has been postponed until the end of November.

Technically the Bionic was delayed for about 7 months , so even though the phone was released 2 months ago, it's not as "cutting edge" as it would have been if it had released on time.

So with that said, these newer phones are kind of overrunning the Bionic because they are coming out on schedule. So goes the tech world.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Technically the Bionic was delayed for about 7 months , so even though the phone was released 2 months ago, it's not as "cutting edge" as it would have been if it had released on time.

So with that said, these newer phones are kind of overrunning the Bionic because they are coming out on schedule. So goes the tech world.

I wouldn't call it "on schedule" yet. None of them have actually come out. People said the same thing about the bionic when the thunderbolt was finally released. They all seem to hit the marketplace late because we create dedicated forum sections for them as soon as they are rumored devices.

Jeff43

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I was jumped the gun abit there by saying "on schedule". I'm just speculating that these upcoming phones won't be subjected to similarly long delays that the Tbolt & Bionic had.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah additionally.. Nobody has "done" anything to you or anyone who bought the bionic..

If you got it, you got a great phone, as advertised, and if you're going to freak out when something new comes out shortly thereafter with SLIGHTLY better specs, then you're in for a miserable experience in the tech world, lol. While I agree that with the RAZR coming out so soon it might have made some sense to not even bother with the bionic, its not like they tricked anyone and gave them a crap phone. The bionic is a great phone, and IMO its plenty thin and works fantastically (aside from some bugs which will be fixed with the first OTA update, which is going to be the case for almost EVERY brand new phone).

Additionally, most people on here are probably big enough tech-heads that they had to realize before the bionic came out that there will be phones with more impressive specs arriving shortly afterwards. You made a choice and got the bionic, so be happy with it and stop crying about .2 Mhz more speed that you would never even notice or a half a millimeter thickness difference. Who really cares?

It was your decision to go out and buy the phone, and its no company's fault for releasing more advanced stuff at whatever time frame they choose, nobody held a gun to anyone's head and made them buy this phone knowing something slightly better would be out in a month or two.

First of all, I dont have a Bionic anymore. I assume when you say "you" your talking about me since you quoted me. I do consider myself ahead of the tech curve since i follow technology closely, my job requires it. Which was one of the reasons i posted "Does this make you want to hit the brakes on the bionic". Regarding an article that stated a new nexus and ICS was about a month or so away from the bionics release. That and the problems i experienced made me return the phone, and if you consider constant reboots and complete data drops not a serious problem you obviously don't use your phone much.

No need to jump down my throat and give me a lecture about small differences and that they make no difference, Im aware. But the differences in how slim it is vs a phone that is a month or 2 older is staggering. I know, its a few millimeters. Thats alot when were talking a phone with all the bells and whistles plus LTE!

What i was pointing out is i didnt expect Motorola to replace its flagship this quick. But i guess thats jumping the gun since there no concrete release date yet.

equake

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Rumor has it that the fone is going to be thinner than the Bionic and have a AMOLED type screen with a Kevlar coated body. Does this mean the newer phone will be a bigger drain on batteries. Early on there was talk of the Dinara as the upgraded Bionic but now it seems like this is code named the Spyder. It is possible there may be use of a integrated modem with World Phone capabilities including CDMA/GSM/LTE however its unlikely but that would make the phone slimmer. LTE is a big power drain and it seems that make is using their own modem chipset including Samsung, LG, Motorola and HTC uses the Qualcomm modem.

My 2 cents

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
First of all, I dont have a Bionic anymore. I assume when you say "you" your talking about me since you quoted me. I do consider myself ahead of the tech curve since i follow technology closely, my job requires it. Which was one of the reasons i posted "Does this make you want to hit the brakes on the bionic". Regarding an article that stated a new nexus and ICS was about a month or so away from the bionics release. That and the problems i experienced made me return the phone, and if you consider constant reboots and complete data drops not a serious problem you obviously don't use your phone much.

No need to jump down my throat and give me a lecture about small differences and that they make no difference, Im aware. But the differences in how slim it is vs a phone that is a month or 2 older is staggering. I know, its a few millimeters. Thats alot when were talking a phone with all the bells and whistles plus LTE!

What i was pointing out is i didnt expect Motorola to replace its flagship this quick. But i guess thats jumping the gun since there no concrete release date yet.

Well I was directing at You specifically for the the way you phrased your comment, but also at the collective "You's" who are all up in a conniption over this. Certainly didn't intend to be jumping down your throat, so I apologize if I came across harshly. If you experienced the reboots and data drops then thats obviously a good reason to not keep your phone, though the majority of phones I don't believe are experiencing this. I haven't at all, and yes I use my phone plenty, otherwise it would certainly annoy me too.

I think you are contradicting yourself a bit in that second paragraph, saying you're aware they make almost no difference, then calling it "staggering". Idk, but for me, especially when I take my bionic out of its silicon case, I'm still (a month into ownership) very impressed with how thin and sleek this phone is. Couldn't care less about a phone that's going to be a tiny bit thinner.

BUT we're splitting hairs and not accomplishing anything, lol. Is it a bit weird that Moto is releasing a new "flagship" so quickly? Sure.. but it goes without saying that it shouldn't affect anyone's device that they can't call it a "flagship" anymore. And it also goes without saying that this is the speed of technology and its only going to get faster.. The new norm will be that whatever brand new phone you get, there will always be something a bit more impressive coming out very soon. Its weird that its the same company releasing something newer and slightly better so soon, I agree, but it doesn't affect the quality of the device we already have.

Reactions: jroc

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Well I was directing at You specifically for the the way you phrased your comment, but also at the collective "You's" who are all up in a conniption over this. Certainly didn't intend to be jumping down your throat, so I apologize if I came across harshly. If you experienced the reboots and data drops then thats obviously a good reason to not keep your phone, though the majority of phones I don't believe are experiencing this. I haven't at all, and yes I use my phone plenty, otherwise it would certainly annoy me too.

I think you are contradicting yourself a bit in that second paragraph, saying you're aware they make almost no difference, then calling it "staggering". Idk, but for me, especially when I take my bionic out of its silicon case, I'm still (a month into ownership) very impressed with how thin and sleek this phone is. Couldn't care less about a phone that's going to be a tiny bit thinner.

BUT we're splitting hairs and not accomplishing anything, lol. Is it a bit weird that Moto is releasing a new "flagship" so quickly? Sure.. but it goes without saying that it shouldn't affect anyone's device that they can't call it a "flagship" anymore. And it also goes without saying that this is the speed of technology and its only going to get faster.. The new norm will be that whatever brand new phone you get, there will always be something a bit more impressive coming out very soon. Its weird that its the same company releasing something newer and slightly better so soon, I agree, but it doesn't affect the quality of the device we already have.

Thats good, i agree as well.
What i was trying to say in regards to the thickness is i know a few millimeters wont change the way the phone works. But seeing the difference in thickness, knowing both phones are similar in spec with LTE, thats a big difference for a phone thats being introduced a month or so later by the same company.

Slimming these LTE phones down have been a serious challenge it seems and to see that big of a jump was unexpected (by me at least) this early.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Thats good, i agree as well.
What i was trying to say in regards to the thickness is i know a few millimeters wont change the way the phone works. But seeing the difference in thickness, knowing both phones are similar in spec with LTE, thats a big difference for a phone thats being introduced a month or so later by the same company.

Slimming these LTE phones down have been a serious challenge it seems and to see that big of a jump was unexpected (by me at least) this early.

You arent the only one. I'm real curious as to why. I read that the battery being so long is why the the battery is thinner and the overall phone is thinner. Would be a nice surprise to find out Moto is using 2nd gen LTE technology. But isnt the LTE version of the GS2 thats overseas still thin?

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
You arent the only one. I'm real curious as to why. I read that the battery being so long is why the the battery is thinner and the overall phone is thinner. Would be a nice surprise to find out Moto is using 2nd gen LTE technology. But isnt the LTE version of the GS2 thats overseas still thin?

I have not really kept up on the Razr other then major stories, Is the battery sealed? I know a sealed battery is usually a step in the right direction when it comes to slimming a phone down since the battery can be placed anywhere and hardware for a removable door can be removed.

2nd gen LTE would be another thing that moved up if it turns up to be in the RAZR. I was not expecting those till next year as well. I would LOVE to see this early, but that might be a stretch.
There is a slight hump towards the top of the RAZR. Maybe they put it there?

In regards to the gs2 lte, I thought i read somewhere on this forum that the "LTE" in the gs2 LTE overseas is not the same as the LTE used by verizon here. Maybe they have different radios? Maybe they fit in all in the chin?
I dont know?

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I have not really kept up on the Razr other then major stories, Is the battery sealed? I know a sealed battery is usually a step in the right direction when it comes to slimming a phone down since the battery can be placed anywhere and hardware for a removable door can be removed.

2nd gen LTE would be another thing that moved up if it turns up to be in the RAZR. I was not expecting those till next year as well. I would LOVE to see this early, but that might be a stretch.
There is a slight hump towards the top of the RAZR. Maybe they put it there?

In regards to the gs2 lte, I thought i read somewhere on this forum that the "LTE" in the gs2 LTE overseas is not the same as the LTE used by verizon here. Maybe they have different radios? Maybe they fit in all in the chin?
I dont know?

Yea its supposed to have a non removable battery. Its about as long and as the entire phone. I agree 2nd gen LTE right now is wishful thinking,

EnergyPlus

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
ActualLy, I heard that Verizon is getting out of the mobile business completely :D

VZW "abandoning" the Bionic....lol....thats a far stretch of the imagination. They still have phones like the Tbolt to phase out and you think the Bionic is on its way out the door? Think again.

EnergyPlus

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Put it this way: WHATEVER the next super phone released is, it's alreAdy outdated, as they are working several generations ahead. I recall back when I was in the military in the early 70s (I am an old fart) and our then unheard of SR71 spy plane was forced to make an emergency landing. I was asked to photograph the problem part. After seeing the plane, I asked one of the brass what could possibly surpass this. His response? "Son, I obviously can't discuss that, but I will tell you that we began development if this aircraft back in 1951!"

Reactions: jroc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21