Anandtech Bionic review is up

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Review posted at Anandtech. I wish my favorite Android site was as thorough with their device reviews.

I prefer timely overview reviews to waiting a month for in depth reviews. Honestly, that isn't their most thorough review either.

I'm an early adopter. I get screwed by doing that sometimes. Other times, I end up with a very cool gadget before most other people.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
One thing about the review folks need to notice: overall the Bionic has the best battery life of all the other LTE phones and even does well vs. the GS2 for battery life and a few benchmarks.

According to the review...overall the Bionic is 1st, LG Revo is 2nd, TBolt is 3rd and Charge is last (shocker there, especially losing to the TBolt, its only by about an hour tho) if you add them all up. But talk time goes to the Bionic by a HUGE margin. Wifi web browsing is in favor of the Bionic by alot and everywhere is similar to the other LTE phones.

And how can the GS2 and Bionic have the same type of audio hiss.....and it only seems to be mentioned about the Bionic in forums from users? Its like no one with a GS2 hears it...hmmmmm.

2 things I get from this review:

1. The Bionic isnt getting enough props for what it does well by some ppl.
2. The OMAP 4 is no slouch, even with its 1Ghz cpu.

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
One thing about the review folks need to notice: overall the Bionic has the best battery life of all the other LTE phones and even does well vs. the GS2 for battery life and a few benchmarks.

According to the review...overall the Bionic is 1st, LG Revo is 2nd, TBolt is 3rd and Charge is last (shocker there, especially losing to the TBolt, its only by about an hour tho) if you add them all up. But talk time goes to the Bionic by a HUGE margin. Wifi web browsing is in favor of the Bionic by alot and everywhere is similar to the other LTE phones.

And how can the GS2 and Bionic have the same type of audio hiss.....and it only seems to be mentioned about the Bionic in forums from users? Its like no one with a GS2 hears it...hmmmmm.

2 things I get from this review:

1. The Bionic isnt getting enough props for what it does well by some ppl.
2. The OMAP 4 is no slouch, even with its 1Ghz cpu.

So I wasn't the only one who noticed the mention of the audio hiss. Funny how the GS2 receives such rave reviews from everyone but the Bionic somehow falls short because of all these "issues." I didn't see Samsung release the first dual core LTE phone. I've seen it said a couple of places that the Galaxy Nexus battery life isn't looking good either, like worse than the Bionic on battery life. The Bionic is a great phone and I think people harp on it for two reasons. One, because Moto seems to be the company to hate at the moment, and two because of the delay in release people say it didn't live up to the hype. I don't think any phone can live up to the hype that blogs and people in forums create for phones. People are making the Nexus out to be something amazing, but I can bet you many are going to be disappointed. I remember everyone thought Gingerbread was going to be the next great thing and it ended up being small UI tweaks and behind the scenes stuff. I don't see ICS being a this huge UI overhaul everyone is expecting, but basically just Honeycomb for phones.

anon(194966)

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I think the Bionic's big problem is that it comes from Motorola, who has gotten a really bad reputation from early adopters after the mess with the Xoom. I was a Xoom owner from the first week but they didn't have their stuff together... I was one of the few who was able to get VZW to switch my Xoom for a GTab when it came out.

I really wanted the GS2 because it was comparable to the Bionic and didn't come from Motorola... but once VZW wasn't carrying the GS2 I felt trapped into the Bionic. It is going well so far, atleast it actually shipped with the hardware that was promised :p

wpwoodjr

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Interesting to see this graphic from Brian Klug's review of the Bionic on Anandtech.com. In their web browsing test, EVDO lasts 5.2 hours vs 3.236 using LTE. EVDO lasts 1.6 times longer than LTE. The extended battery with LTE lasts slightly less long (5.058 hours) than standard battery with EVDO (5.2 hours).
41513.png

Even though the Atrix lasts longer it also has a bigger battery at 1930 mah vs 1735 for the Bionic's standard battery.

EVDO with the extended battery should last 8 hours or so. Battery life is not an issue with the Bionic. All the little gotchas are though - unreliable/slow focusing, hum in audio, data connection disappearing, occasional black screen, missing EXIF data in images, 16-bit graphics, ....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair