Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is there REALLY a reason to get the Nexus?

So the Nexus has a pentile display, so does the Bionic.

The Bionic will get ICS which will bring to it most(or all) of the features eventually.

And I am betting, just like the other android devices, it'll eventually get Cynogenmod which will give it a pretty good stock-ish look/feel.

Outside of NFC support and a tiny bump in cpu speed, is there honestly a reason to get the Nexus?

With the Bionic, we're guaranteed 1st party dock support, SD card support, HDMI out, none of which(except maybe a dock) the Nexus has.

Every day I'm finding myself less and less looking to get the Nexus. Is it just me?

I'm not a fan of Samsung phones, they feel cheap and mostly plastic. If the Bionic will get a CM that looks like stock-ish ICS, why even get the Nexus?
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.

Default Re: Is there REALLY a reason to get the Nexus?

I try not to fall for the latest greatest. I buy a solid performer when I need to buy a new phone, and ride it out as long as I can. The grass isn't always greener on the other side, and I am happy where I am now. If I start to feel unhappy with my current setup, I think about how crappy things were on my Atrix on AT&T's network.

ROM
    Evolution + leanKernel

The main upside that everyone is looking at in the Nexus is the pure Google experience. No bloatware (while yes can be removed just becomes tedious), no Sense/Blur/Whatever UI slapped on top of Android (again can be changed), and some of the features of 4.0 may not work on older phones. Like the crazy Camera, NFC, ICS is optimized for the Nexus' resolution, pano cam, etc etc.

While I do agree with you in that it isn't much more than the Bionic, there are a few things that are going to make it shine much brighter imo. Cam, screen (people who have seen it say they barely notice the pentile), NFC, and pure Google. I would love to jump on the Nexus, but seeing I already have the Bionic, I'm not gonna jump on it until my next upgrade comes up. Hopefully by then the next Nexus will have 5.0
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Yeah, but even that "pure Google" can be had with a Cynogenmod ROM which gives you almost an exact stock-ish feel with no blur.

If(and I bet when) the Bionic gets CM, the difference will be negligible.
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.

Global Posts
    864 Global Posts

The higher screen res should offset any sharpness issues that Pentile causes, in theory anyway.

Me? I want this on my next phone:

AnandTech - Toshiba Releases 6.1" Display with Resolution of 2560x1600

Me personally, the allure of ICS right now and seeing what that OMAP 4460 can do, NFC. Other than that...nothing else for me. I have a bad track record with Samsung phones and reception so I wasnt all caught up in the GS2 madness. I live and work in a bad reception area so I need my phones to actually work as phones...lol

Just depends on what ppl want and need. The gpu in the 4460 is clocked a lil higher too so it will be interesting to see benchmarks of the Nexus.

Anandtech did quick benchmarks of the RAZR and it beat out the GS2 and scored right under the iPhone 4S in the 2 tests they did. (browser tests) So either Android OS updates helped it, the browser was optimized or that chip is a lil better than whats in the Bionic. (RAZR also has the 4430) Either way it should be similar for the Nexus too since Samsung has always optimized the browser on their Android phones and actually does have a newer chip than the RAZR.