1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

Default Cell Standby and Battery Life

I got my bionic 2 days ago, and have a question about my battery life. Currently I'm @ 8 hours, 14 minutes off charger @ 10% life left. Cell Standby is showing as 30% of my battery use. I've been on 4g the entire 8 hours. Mix of watching videos, calls and texting.

Is it normal for Cell Standby to take up 30% of the battery?

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gummy/LeanKernel

That's almost the exact situation I'm right down to the length of ownership lol.
    I would assume that cell standby should be the highest since in my understanding cell standby is basically you're phone idling while connected to a cell tower. And its always connected even if you have WiFi connected so you can receive texts and calls. Also remember, those percents always add up to 100.

Again this is just how I understand it, I could be completely wrong (new to android).

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

Default Re: Cell Standby and Battery Life

I understand that it takes less battery to stay connected to WiFi. ?
    Banned

Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    ROM
    Lithium

Yes it takes much less battery to be on wifi because going out and grabbing a signal from a cell tower - especially 4g is power hungry.

One of my issues is that when you're on wifi it should turn off cell standby and just use wifi. I think you can have it off and still get calls.

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gummy/LeanKernel

I think its just cell data (4g/3g) that's supposed to turn off when on WiFi, text and calls come over 1x; the problem is that data doesn't turn off, the phone just stops sending data over that connection (but still pings the tower to maintain the connection).

This behavior doesn't seem right though, on my pre+ you either had 3g+1x or wifi+1x never wifi+3g+1x which is basically what the bionic is doing.

TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,627 Global Posts

Go into Menu > manage apps > Running (tab) and see what's running in the background that doesn't need to be. DON'T shut down anything you don't recognize, but I discovered Slacker was running in the background and I never use it. Clicked "stop" on it, so it will stay off (I hope) until I power down/up again.

I also noticed the incredible power use by certain widgets. If you have two weather widgets operating, you should get rid of one. Just by being careful about what you are and aren't using can make a big difference.

BTW, 8 hours of talking, texting and ESPECIALLY watching videos is pretty darn good for one charge on the battery.
    Always learning ...

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by skielbasa View Post
    I think its just cell data (4g/3g) that's supposed to turn off when on WiFi, text and calls come over 1x; the problem is that data doesn't turn off, the phone just stops sending data over that connection (but still pings the tower to maintain the connection).

This behavior doesn't seem right though, on my pre+ you either had 3g+1x or wifi+1x never wifi+3g+1x which is basically what the bionic is doing.

When you are on a wifi network your phone will not use 3G or 4G. Sometimes you may see an icon glitch where it looks like it is.. But it isn't.. Plain and simple.

To everyone freaking about the %... It's all relative. When you aren't using much else your cell standby can go up in the 40s of percentages because it has to all add to 100. Doesn't mean it's putting any abnormal drain on your battery. Also there may be a small reporting error that makes it look higher than it is. Again, not really doing anything bad.