Task Manager alert -- Android OS High CPU usage

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
First time I've gotten this alert. Not rooted. Was in dock all night. Pulled it out of dock and within moments I got an alert I've not seen before, in the status bar. I went to the task manager to see what it was all about and the OS was using 54% of the CPU. Moments later it jumped to 80+ percent. WTH? It kept moving between 50-ish and 80+ from moment to moment.

I ended up shutting the phone off and restarting it. After doing that, no more alerts, but the first time I checked the OS following the restart, it was at 27%. Basically, it's now using a minimum of 16% and sometimes more than 25%, but never more than roughly 30%. IS THAT NORMAL?

oh, and as a test, I put it back in the dock for a moment or two, took it out, and no "high CPU usage" alerts.

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Something's fishy. I wouldn't call myself a real heavy user, so YMMV, but my OS %age is never much higher than about 7 or 8%. Might warrant a call to tech support.

Reactions: 1812dave

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Motorola did announce that there may be an issue with some Gingerbread phones draining battery after the return to standard time on Sunday. They didn't exactly explain what the issue was, but did say that a shutdown and restart would solve the problem. Perhaps it was that?

Reactions: 1812dave

APeX3181

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
This sounds really similar to a problem I've been having for a few weeks now. However, I have not gotten any alert message.

Almost every night now, I'll remove my phone from the dock and have it freeze up on me. My alarms don't go off most of the time, I'll wake up to a force close of some sort, whether it be the Alarm clock app or the dock app itself.

After removing the phone from the dock, the touch screen doesn't respond and the phone ends up rebooting itself.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
This sounds really similar to a problem I've been having for a few weeks now. However, I have not gotten any alert message.

Almost every night now, I'll remove my phone from the dock and have it freeze up on me. My alarms don't go off most of the time, I'll wake up to a force close of some sort, whether it be the Alarm clock app or the dock app itself.

After removing the phone from the dock, the touch screen doesn't respond and the phone ends up rebooting itself.

thanks for those comments--it sounds as if it's possible that disconnecting from the dock is causing a glitch. I got another glitch today--I plugged in the phone to a non moto charger and tried to touch the screen. no go. nothing would happen. as soon as I removed the charging cable, the phone started working normally. that's the first I've seen of that issue (I have so many USB chargers around the house, I can't really remember if I'd ever used that particular one before)

tamcon

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
damn battery.

some days it stays charged all day. some days i need to charge 3x and it is dead by 10:30.

I am not a heavy user.

I have task manager to auto close most apps and I turn of all services except phone serivce and leave it in 3G. I got rid of app killer due to many auto reboots and got rid off most widgets and turned all social networking services to only sync via wi fi AND I only sync my email manually.

battery life is still a daily adventure. :-\

Jasper

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
My task manager for the past few days has shown an alert several times. I have shut down the phone, pulled the battery and am still experiencing issues. As soon as i turn the phone on and open web browser the task managery CPU alert pops up. If it continues over next couple of days I will be visiting the corporate store.

dpi92231

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Ever since the time change my phone dies i have to do battery pull anyone one else? It also seems to run slower?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I did a reset last night (at the suggestion of tech support) and the problem remains: Android OS CPU Usage runs between 20 and 40+ percent at all times. Even with no downloaded apps. Even in Safe Mode. My wife's Bionic remains at 1% most of the time. At the most, it will go up to 3%.