My Data Connection Is Gone For Good!

APeX3181

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I am now without a data connection for over 9 hours.

I have:
1. Rebooted the phone
2. Pulled the battery (while powered up and powered down)
3. Removed the SIM card (also rebooted with no SIM card)
4. Set data to CDMA only
5. Rebooted in Safe Mode
6. Switched on and off Airplane mode

After trying all these things, I have not had a data connection since 8:30 EST this morning!

Just to let everyone know, someone on Motorola forums just posted that tech support said there is a mechanical problem with the phone and people will have to send them in for repair.

I'm through messing around with this. I'm going to my Verizon store tomorrow.

wseyller

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I lost mine for 12 hrs once and it came back but who knows the reason. Might be a different reason from yours.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Just to let everyone know, someone on Motorola forums just posted that tech support said there is a mechanical problem with the phone and people will have to send them in for repair.

Its the Xoom all over again!! I hope this is not true, that would suck!

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Mine goes out for 12+ hours too, usually gotta call Verizon and have them "re-program" my sim then it usually works ok for 1-2 days then it goes away again.

After weeks of calling in/complaining Verizon offered to trade my Bionic in for a used certified device...ha..yeah right. I just paid $370(w taxes & case) for this phone in sept ..im not taking an old phone to replace my brand new one. I've complained to them and Motorola but it seems no one cares. They really gotta do something about this phone.

projektorboy

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
If I were in your position I'd try these things, in order.

(1) Get a new SIM card. Verizon has had some known weird issues with bad SIM cards.
(2) Grab RSD Lite & the Bionic FXZ file and run a complete restore. This deep flash rewrites the radio firmware to ensure that there's no glitches remaining.
(3) Replace the phone.
(4) Switch to another, completely different phone [total last resort]

tkong

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
When your data goes out, do you just get white bars or do you get the red "prohibit" sign over the white bars? What is the difference between the two because I get both.

APeX3181

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes I will just get the white bars. But yesterday it actually said 3G with 4 white bars next to it, but none of my apps connected to data.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I had an issue with my Droid X1 where I lost data for days. A factory reset fixed it. Short of replacing the phone or getting another one, try that first. Or try option 2 of what projektorboy posted.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I just got off the phone with VZ tech support and was informed the update was pushed back by another 2 weeks. I hope its not true but i have a feeling it is.

APeX3181

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
On Friday I paid a visit to my local Verizon store and complained about all the problems I was having. I was told that they really couldn't do anything unless they witnessed the problem on the phone. I left the store and immediately as I got to my car, I lost my data connection once again. I ran back inside, showed them the problem and they replaced my SIM card. Ever since, I haven't dropped data once and the signal seems strong. Switching from 3G to 4G is also very quick.

Who knows if the SIM card actually made a difference, but it's working as it should for now. My alarms clocks don't force close anymore either and I haven't had a BSOD yet. But it's only been two days so we'll see what happens this week.

squane123

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
On Friday I paid a visit to my local Verizon store and complained about all the problems I was having. I was told that they really couldn't do anything unless they witnessed the problem on the phone. I left the store and immediately as I got to my car, I lost my data connection once again. I ran back inside, showed them the problem and they replaced my SIM card. Ever since, I haven't dropped data once and the signal seems strong. Switching from 3G to 4G is also very quick.

Who knows if the SIM card actually made a difference, but it's working as it should for now. My alarms clocks don't force close anymore either and I haven't had a BSOD yet. But it's only been two days so we'll see what happens this week.

How are things functioning with the new SIM card? I am receiving the Bionic this weekend from my Mom, she is taking my Charge and I am taking her brand new in box Bionic. Just trying to get a leg up on the issues.

stuatc

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
This happened to me twice, most recently this past Friday & Saturday but only at my house where there is ONLY 3g service (Albany, NY area). As soon as i would get to 4g, data would work. I did visit my local VZW store and ask for a sim card replacement but the refused stating that it's a motorola problem and i have to wait for the software update that is due late this month.

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site

They did the same for me. It worked great for about two weeks. I lost data once last week. It hasn't happened again since then.

Dean-Ohhh

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
this crap happened to my phone yesterday after work too
3G icon is showing..yet no data...
wifi works, 4g works (tested last night) but still no 3g
vzw overnighted me a phone and today tried the certified refurbished one and same crap
might be the sim card

sucks because i need the email for being on-call and i dont want to stay home

leaddog128

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I had this problem and had to go to settings,battery & data manager, data delivery and my data was checked off. I don't know how it got checked off but it was..

Dean-Ohhh

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
they had me try that setting and i checked it..and still didnt work...
BUT..on my way in the car tonight..i started getting email so my 3g is back (verizon didnt call me back yet about my trouble ticket)
so now i trie my original bionic and data is working on it too
was without it for about 30 hrs

APeX3181

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Another update...the new SIM card has helped with keeping data connection drops to a minimum, but I've still had a few lost connections in the past few days. A quick switch to airplane mode corrects the problem.

And I did have another BSOD this morning requiring a battery pull.