Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Bionic muffled

I am having trouble with sound quality when speaking on the phone while cover is on the phone. People can barely understand me and tell me that I sound like I am in a tunnel. I have tried two different covers neither of which cover the microphone holes. It sounds fine when the coved is off. I called Verizon which was an absolute waste of time. Any thoughts?
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,632 Global Posts

Default Re: Bionic muffled

I had the same problem, but apparently not everyone does. The answer appears to center on using the extended battery. If I use the regular battery - even with a case - the sound is great on the other end. With the extended battery, people only could understand what I was saying if I took off the case. I even posted a thread on this problem, but no one seemed to have a good answer other than enlarging the holes around the noise cancelling openings on the back. I did this, but it didn't make much of a difference.

So, in my mind, it's all about the extended battery and it's bulging back cover. At least, with the regular battery in place, people have no difficulty hearing me AND I have a choice of colorful cases ... again. I'll add that I get a full day's regular use on the regular battery. No streaming music or movies, though. I'd plug it in for that, anyway.
    Always learning ...
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Arelunde View Post
    I had the same problem, but apparently not everyone does. The answer appears to center on using the extended battery. If I use the regular battery - even with a case - the sound is great on the other end. With the extended battery, people only could understand what I was saying if I took off the case. I even posted a thread on this problem, but no one seemed to have a good answer other than enlarging the holes around the noise cancelling openings on the back. I did this, but it didn't make much of a difference.

So, in my mind, it's all about the extended battery and it's bulging back cover. At least, with the regular battery in place, people have no difficulty hearing me AND I have a choice of colorful cases ... again. I'll add that I get a full day's regular use on the regular battery. No streaming music or movies, though. I'd plug it in for that, anyway.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for the reply. I have the problem with both the extended battery and the regular battery. I also enlarged the holes with no improvement. I don't know what to do except to not put it in a case. Thanks for the help.

the whole speaker design is messed up. any little obstruction over the speaker blocks out all sound.

so if u put the phone backside down....you wont hear anything!

they should have put it on the side or something like BB does
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,632 Global Posts

I noticed that if I'm holding the DB while it's on speaker, the sound is muffled on my end. If I move my hand, it's loud and clear. I almost always use the speaker. A while ago, I bought the Smartphone Coaster (stainless steel thing that holds the DB at angle that's right for viewing.) If I put the DB face in on the Coaster, with the mic and speaker at the top, it holds it just right for hands-free conversations. Here's the link:

New Innovative Gadgets and Accessories from newPCgadgets.com

Great little gadgets. I have several scattered around the house and office.
    Always learning ...
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,632 Global Posts

Regarding the OP's initial question, I also noticed that a TPU case makes the speaker sound (on my end) awful. I'm thinking it does essentially the same thing as holding the DB with the hand on the back while on speaker. I usually have a hard shell (Incipio's feather case) on my DB and that doesn't interfere with the sound at all.
    Always learning ...