WIFI - Is This True?

noisemaker

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I went to Verizon to complain about the lousy 4G/3G and WIFI connectivity I've been getting on my Bionic. The tech there told me that by leaving WIFI enabled, it will always search for WIFI and therefore not connect to 4G or 3G. Is this true? There is no automatic switching?

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely not true. If you leave wifi enabled, it will automatically connect to any remembered sites. Once you're out of range of any remembered sites, It will notify you of an available hotspot if it finds one, but will definitely connect to 3G/4G in the meantime.

smh

don't know why Verizon lets dum-dums like this on their staff...

noisemaker

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Why am I not surprised? How do you argue with that?

So, correct me if I am wrong, but if I am not in range of a remembered wifi connection, it will connect to 3g or 4g, whichever is stronger, without any limitation of connectivity?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Why am I not surprised? How do you argue with that?

So, correct me if I am wrong, but if I am not in range of a remembered wifi connection, it will connect to 3g or 4g, whichever is stronger, without any limitation of connectivity?

This is correct... but having your wifi on when your not in range could cause minor hiccups and will definitely drain your battery quicker (its another radio your phone has on when it doesn't need to be) so I'd strongly recommend sticking a toggle on your homescreen so you can easily switch off wifi when you don't need it on.

noisemaker

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
This is correct... but having your wifi on when your not in range could cause minor hiccups and will definitely drain your battery quicker (its another radio your phone has on when it doesn't need to be) so I'd strongly recommend sticking a toggle on your homescreen so you can easily switch off wifi when you don't need it on.

Well, that part certainly makes sense, especially the way the Bionic eats power.

Now I have to deal with why I'm getting crappy connectivity. I wasn't particularly impressed when I got it, although it was not worse than my BB Storm, but I think it's gotten worse. I think I'll call this time.

jkern72

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a similar issue, but the hand off from WiFi to 3G/4G when I'm out of WiFi range can take several minutes/miles. VZW's response was to "remember to turn it off before you leave the location." They also advised it was a known issue and a software release was due at the end of November (still have 3 hours I suppose).

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I have a similar issue, but the hand off from WiFi to 3G/4G when I'm out of WiFi range can take several minutes/miles. VZW's response was to "remember to turn it off before you leave the location." They also advised it was a known issue and a software release was due at the end of November (still have 3 hours I suppose).

This happened to me from time-to-time before I rooted. Not often but every once in a while when I'd forget to turn off WiFi when leaving work.

The good news it's fixed on the 5.7.893. :) The bad news is if you're not rooted you have to wait for that.

snsethy

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that while I'm connected to wifi, its icon is blue meaning it's the connection that's active, but the 4g icon is still present most of the time. does that drain battery? On occasion both the wifi and 4g connection are blue too, does that mean they're both active? Thanks.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that while I'm connected to wifi, its icon is blue meaning it's the connection that's active, but the 4g icon is still present most of the time. does that drain battery? On occasion both the wifi and 4g connection are blue too, does that mean they're both active? Thanks.

The WiFi should be blue when active nd 4G should be white when inactive. However, I believe this is a know UI error where both stay blue but only the WiFi is active.

noisemaker

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
According to someone who actually seemed to know what he was talking about at Verizon, I will get better performance if I switch of WIFI when not in use, and, as stated before, will certainly save the battery.

The solution for my connectivity problems was to pull the battery and the SIM card. It's been amazingly fast since.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463