Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Advanced Task Killers app...yay or nay???

Hey guys. Just a quick question. Are apps like Advanced Task Killer worth the data and space, or Would Task Manager be the way to go?
    nrk

Carrier
    Kin3tx

Default Re: Advanced Task Killers app...yay or nay???

They hurt battery life. I would avoid them.
    sr.torres22 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the info nrk.
    nrk

Carrier
    Kin3tx

Quote Originally Posted by sr.torres22 View Post
    Thanks for the info nrk.
    I should have clarified - the one that comes built in is decent, and the auto-end feature is nice as well. It will help battery. That one is fine to use, but I wouldn't go overboard killing apps constantly.

As it happens, PC World just did a test of several different phones with ATK and measured battery results with and without ATK. They found that with the Bionic that it saved no battery life at all.

Task-Killer Apps: Will They Help or Hurt Your Battery Life? | PCWorld

Conventional wisdom was that ATK actually hurts battery life. That may have been true on older phones with less RAM, but I know that Gingerbread tried specifically to improve memory management of background tasks, so it's good to see that it's benign.

So, I guess the answer is either don't bother - it doesn't help at all - or go ahead and use it - it doesn't hurt at all.
    sr.torres22 likes this.

Carrier
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    As it happens, PC World just did a test of several different phones with ATK and measured battery results with and without ATK. They found that with the Bionic that it saved no battery life at all.

Conventional wisdom was that ATK actually hurts battery life. That may have been true on older phones with less RAM, but I know that Gingerbread tried specifically to improve memory management of background tasks, so it's good to see that it's benign.

So, I guess the answer is either don't bother - it doesn't help at all - or go ahead and use it - it doesn't hurt at all.
    +1... just seconding that. You are better off NOT bothering with them as they generally do more harm than good, or just don't do any good.
    nrk

Carrier
    Kin3tx

Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post

I was trying to remember where I had JUST read this article and I drew a blank.

Thanks.

Moral of the story: use the built in task manager, set some auto-ends, and you're done. Basically everything is handled pretty well in GB now.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,616 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Y get a second one? Moto has a built in one its pretty cool warns if phone is using to much memery heat warning if u use app long time it warns u.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Nice to know. Thanx for the link. Very useful.

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts

Task killers are no good. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...evelopers.html

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk