Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    alcor34's Avatar

    Posts
    321 Posts
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts

    Default Truth or Lie?

    After ranting with VZW again today.... and trying to find out what my options are with getting a different device the tech told me that there is a confirmed update coming in a couple days, and i have been reading around the block that there is a December 9th update... how true is this?

    vzw tech just said he received this by email and should be out in a couple day...

    Last edited by alcor34; 12-08-2011 at 01:37 PM.
    Thanked by:
    p08757 
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Truth or Lie?

    ZOMMMG!!!!!!1111 I am so ecstatic! I hope this is true
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    alcor34's Avatar

    Posts
    321 Posts
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts

    Default Re: Truth or Lie?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticfdguy View Post
    ZOMMMG!!!!!!1111 I am so ecstatic! I hope this is true
    That's the same thing i said. And the guy i was speaking to seemed very sincere and also explained that he was excited too because he has a bionic and is having the same issues. He said the pdf does not list all the fixes but the list is pretty good as is.

    Fingers crossed. Truth, in the past when i have seen this flyer, the update came a couple days later.

    One thing though, is look at the build/system version. It is way lower than all the ones that i have seen floating around. It's actually quite close to the release verions. I hope this does not create problems for people who used leakes. Because if so, they will not be able to install given that they will have a higher build number unless they revert.... i guess.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Truth or Lie?

    Ill revert back in a heartbeat to get this update!
  5. #5  
    2defmouze's Avatar

    Posts
    5,825 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

    Default Re: Truth or Lie?

    No need to get yours and other's hopes up when we should all realize by now to take EVERYTHING a rep says to you with a grain of salt. Hope for a pleasant surprise sure, but be realistic is all I'm saying.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    alcor34's Avatar

    Posts
    321 Posts
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts

    Default Re: Truth or Lie?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    No need to get yours and other's hopes up when we should all realize by now to take EVERYTHING a rep says to you with a grain of salt. Hope for a pleasant surprise sure, but be realistic is all I'm saying.
    Reamining realistic of course, but at least the flyer is one step closer.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Truth or Lie?

    Hopefully the rep I just spoke to is wrong but he said thats the same build number thats currently on the phones....any thoughts????

    I had a bad expirence with the Bionic when it first came out and ended up returning it. Its a great piece of equipment when I had a signal, but that was only about 50% of the time. I even bought a network extender and still wouldnt even hold a 3G signal. Ive been looking for a reason to but one off contract and the update would make it easier.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Truth or Lie?

    Says its coming soon on the Verizon website, there's also a link to the pdf where it says "Benefits of Software Upgrade"

  9. #9  

    Default Re: Truth or Lie?

    I have been waiting for an update for my wife's Bionic. The version number on the update PDF doesn't make sense... There are much higher versions out there and she is even running one that is 2 versions higher than the 5.5.893 that is listed. Could this be a misprint? Or an old PDF?
    No matter how hard you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...
  10. #10  
    SeigaGen's Avatar

    Posts
    624 Posts
    ROM
    Kang/CM10

    Default Re: Truth or Lie?

    Seems like she's running the leaked update. The Current version is 5.5.886. Also, if you had installed the 5.7 leak, you might have issues getting this 5.5.893 update because not only did the system updated, but so did the radio and kernel. Downgrading is a rather hard task.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Truth or Lie?

    Quote Originally Posted by SeigaGen View Post
    Seems like she's running the leaked update. The Current version is 5.5.886. Also, if you had installed the 5.7 leak, you might have issues getting this 5.5.893 update because not only did the system updated, but so did the radio and kernel. Downgrading is a rather hard task.
    She is running the leak 5.7.893. What I was trying to say is the version listed on the PDF: 5.5.893 has been out since October ! How can this just now be the OTA release when so many newer versions exist?

    I know that currently there is no way to downgrade kernel due to locked bootloader. I will be shocked if this version actually fixes the issues, since it came and went almost 2 months ago and no one reported it being anything special. Also, the issues are still not fixed several builds later with 5.7.893.
    No matter how hard you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...
  12. #12  
    2defmouze's Avatar

    Posts
    5,825 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

    Default Re: Truth or Lie?

    I see some confusion.. To clarify:
    Stock phones came with 5.5.866
    the leaked updates, each of which provided some combination of new systems and/or kernals and/or radios came in the order:
    5.5.893, 5.6.893, 5.7.893, 5.7.894 (did nothing except try to block upgrades if root users had the foreverroot hack in place), and most recently 5.8.894.
    That's all I know and I've been following pretty closely. I currently am on 5.7.893 full with all associated radio/kernal upgrades.
    TBH I personally haven't noticed much diff going from 5.5.893 through 5.7.893.. So if the official update turns out to be only 5.5.893 I wouldn't say you should all freak out, it's still an upgraded system and kernal and radio. Wait til you get to see what it does/doesn't fix before stressing.
    And for people like me who upgraded early, we'll be fine just will have to wait until the devs out there figure out a way for us to apply any new updates if there are even problems.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Truth or Lie?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    I see some confusion.. To clarify:
    Stock phones came with 5.5.866
    the leaked updates, each of which provided some combination of new systems and/or kernals and/or radios came in the order:
    5.5.893, 5.6.893, 5.7.893, 5.7.894 (did nothing except try to block upgrades if root users had the foreverroot hack in place), and most recently 5.8.894.
    That's all I know and I've been following pretty closely. I currently am on 5.7.893 full with all associated radio/kernal upgrades.
    TBH I personally haven't noticed much diff going from 5.5.893 through 5.7.893.. So if the official update turns out to be only 5.5.893 I wouldn't say you should all freak out, it's still an upgraded system and kernal and radio. Wait til you get to see what it does/doesn't fix before stressing.
    And for people like me who upgraded early, we'll be fine just will have to wait until the devs out there figure out a way for us to apply any new updates if there are even problems.
    You are dead on with the progression as I have followed it closely as well for my wife's Bionic. I'm just very surprised at the version number if 5.5.893 is indeed going to be the Official update from stock 5.5.886. I'm also surprised at how long it has been in existence and how many newer builds have come down since. I know that some of the issues (BSOD) still have not been fixed in 5.7.893, so I would be very surprised if they were in an much earlier version.
    No matter how hard you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...
  14. #14  
    2defmouze's Avatar

    Posts
    5,825 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

    Default Re: Truth or Lie?

    Kind of makes sense when you remember how long updates need to spend in testing before vz will approve them. As for BSODs, I've only had 2 since launch day. The last one was back in october. Maybe I'm just lucky? Lol
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Truth or Lie?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    Kind of makes sense when you remember how long updates need to spend in testing before vz will approve them. As for BSODs, I've only had 2 since launch day. The last one was back in october. Maybe I'm just lucky? Lol
    You must be lucky. Wife has had several inconvenient BSOD situations.. fewer since installing 5.7.893, but still not eliminated. It kinda reminds me of the reboot problem I had with T-Bolt when it came out. Took more than one upgrade to straighten that out.

    If VZW does indeed spend that much time testing updates, how do some of them pass????
    No matter how hard you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...
  16. #16  
    2defmouze's Avatar

    Posts
    5,825 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog241 View Post
    If VZW does indeed spend that much time testing updates, how do some of them pass????
    Throw enough **** at the wall and somethings bound to stick right?
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Truth or Lie?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    Throw enough **** at the wall and somethings bound to stick right?
    They do say that... LOL
    No matter how hard you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

Posting Permissions

B