Droid Bionic - Update Fail - (Rooted/No-Leaks)

LBtrw

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Hello all, this is my first post to the forums! I have been a lurker on this site for quite awhile now and I'm experiencing some difficulties with my phone. (Please also be aware I am pretty tech savy but this is my first smartphone!)

So lets get down to it! When I first got the phone my goal was to remove all the bloatware. I used the option in "Root Uninstaller" to backup these apps to my sd-card. I also have Root Explorer for any file browsing needs. Everything went well until this morning when I tried to apply my update. My phone would reboot and do its thing/update and reboot again accept when it would get to the home-screen it would prompt me with a "Update Failed" message. I decided to do some googling on the subject and found out it was due to the bloatware apps I had uninstalled/backed-up, Someone mentioned downloading the update and pressing the "Install Later" going into the cache and moving the update onto my SD-Card. I rebooted my phone, went into the recovery, and proceeded to try again with the update so I could see where my errors were coming from and here is what I know:

-- Install /sdcard . . .
Finding update package . . .
Verifying update package . . .
Installing update . . .
Verifying current system . . .
assert failed: apply_patch_check("system/app/ArcVideoEditorLite.apk", "insert-a-bunch-of-hex-here", "more-hex-here")
E: Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(status 7)
Installation aborted.

So it looks like I need to get my Arc Video Editor Lite app back. Well, I went into root uninstaller and did not see an option for restoring an app (which I did backup onto my sd-card). So I used "Root Explorer" to find the app located in /mnt/sd-card/rootuninstaller/backup/ I installed it. Some other apps like Conversation were not so successful. Anyways, I rebooted my phone figuring since I installed the app back on thinking the update would get passed that part. I was presented again with the same error, Since I am a nub, I figured that maybe the .apk file needs to be in the /system/app folder. I moved the file over and again tried to reboot/update from recovery. Well again I was presented with the same error, Can someone out there show some bionic love and tell me what I am doing wrong or what I need to do.

Thanks for reading!
-LBtrw

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
One idea I'm seeing, after you move your apps back to the correct folder you might have to change the permissions before you reboot. In Root Explorer, long press the .apk file, hit permissions, and make sure it looks like:
XX
X
X
(I'm just guessing, that's what most have to look like)

As a last resort, you can use dhacker's releasedroot tool to flash your system back to stock: R3L3As3Droot And 43V3R Root For The Bionic V2.1 - RootzWiki

This ought to give you the full stock system so that the update will take. Obviously you will lose all your data, however if you have something like Titanium Backup you can backup everything before flashing back to stock, then when you're totally done and reinstall your apps, you can restore the data using TiBu to your games and stuff you don't want to lose. Just don't use it to restore system apps data. I.e. just take the time to re-setup your emails and facebook and all your settings, etc. Always try to minimize the amount of data you restore with TiBu to avoid complications.

Reactions: romajr86 and LBtrw

mhanda45

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
When I got my Bionic I rooted and then heard about freezing applications. I started to freeze the basic vcast apps. I had no problems at all. Then when the OTA update came out it failed. Reading these forums it says to make sure no apps are frozen and all the right apps are in a system folder. Titanuim backup could not find the frozen apps. I could not even find the system folder to see if the apps where in the folder. So I tried factory resets however that does not bring back apps that are missing of course.

The answer for me was this site: R3L3As3Droot And 43V3R Root For The Bionic V2.1 - RootzWiki

I restored to factory settings (I lost everything) and had the program put forever root on the phone. It rebooted and it updated fine.

Good Luck

mundane78

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
im having the same problem i noticed that im missing the preinstalled apps folder in the system i tried the leaked update that failed too.does anyone have a copy of the preinstalled app folder on bionic.

LBtrw

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Droid Bionic - Update Fail - (Rooted/No-Leaks) *Success*

As a last resort, you can use dhacker's releasedroot tool to flash your system back to stock: R3L3As3Droot And 43V3R Root For The Bionic V2.1 - RootzWiki

This ought to give you the full stock system so that the update will take. Obviously you will lose all your data, however if you have something like Titanium Backup you can backup everything before flashing back to stock, then when you're totally done and reinstall your apps, you can restore the data using TiBu to your games and stuff you don't want to lose. Just don't use it to restore system apps data. I.e. just take the time to re-setup your emails and facebook and all your settings, etc. Always try to minimize the amount of data you restore with TiBu to avoid complications.

I decided to bite the bullet and purchase "Titanium Backup" from the market & made a backup of an app/game I wanted. I ran the R3L3As3Droot And 43V3R Root For The Bionic V2.1 - RootzWiki tool. It restored my phone back to stock with all the bloatware installed. Up next was the OTA update. Updated like a charm and used "Titanium Backup" to backup & remove bloatware.

Thanks 2defmouze! :D

Reactions: romajr86

340DartMan

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site

2defmouze - I am a NOOB, so please bear with me here. What is the historical problem with restoring app data with TiBu? My rooted stock Bionic errors during the OTA and trying to find the problem. I probably deleted or change something.

Why shouldn't I use TiBu for restoring my system apps and data after using dhacker29's R3L3As3Droot?
I have over 100 apps from the market. Can these apps and their setting be restored after R3L3As3Droot or factory reset>

I added p3droid's forever root manually with the text below:

"RootExplorer Method

go to /system/bin/
open in text editor - mount_ext3.sh
add the following lines to the very bottom

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
chmod 755 /system/app/Superuser.apk"

- I went through and thawed all frozen apps.
- I have Droid Wall, but disabled the firewall.
- Lookout is up and running.
- Logging Test App but didn't remove anything with it.
- AdAway installed but disabled
- BusyBox v1.19.3
- Rom Manager Premium
- No Lock: disables the lock screen. -going to uninstall and try OTA again. OTA failed.

If I reset to stock, how do I maintain my paid app versions? Move to external SD card? Or would TiBu maintain these in its back up folder on the sd card?

Wish I had created a back-up with Bionic Bootstrapper right after I rooted. :(

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
When you sign back in after a reset, your apps will automatically download from the market after a few mins, including the paid ones. What he was talking about was restoring data for games, things with custom settings, stuff like that. Should not restore or have to restore system apps and it could cause probs if you do.

Tapatalked from my Bionic

Reactions: 340DartMan

340DartMan

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
When you sign back in after a reset, your apps will automatically download from the market after a few mins, including the paid ones. What he was talking about was restoring data for games, things with custom settings, stuff like that. Should not restore or have to restore system apps and it could cause probs if you do.

Thank you for the clarification. As soon as my battery charges back up, guess I'll do R3L3As3Droot And 43V3R Root For The Bionic V2.1.

Does the Bionic Bootstrapper back up the complete system? Then able to restore ROM, system and downloaded apps, contacts, app data, etc.at the point where the back up was done?

Thanks again,

Tony

Last edited:

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Your contacts will auto synch when you sign back in. Everything else should restore off a nandroid backup though you might have to set up your home screens.

Reactions: 340DartMan

culee

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know where I can find the Motorooter 1.1-zip? I am trying to restore my phone to stock to take the update but the link to the file seems to be broken

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo