Update did not fix data issue - replacement phone on the way

Wayles

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately today's update did not fix my data problem. I have a day 1 phone and hate to go through the hassle of a replacement. Customer service couldn't confirm if I was being shipped a new device or a refurb. Has anyone else been through this? If so, what were you shipped?

This is my first Android device, any advice on how to transfer data, apps, etc. Is it true that all apps will download automatically?

Thanks,
Wayles

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
You will get a refurbished phone and have to install all the apps again. Nothing will be "downloaded automatically". Your purchased apps will show in the market though so you can install those. You'll have to search for any free apps you had installed.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
You will get a refurbished phone and have to install all the apps again. Nothing will be "downloaded automatically". Your purchased apps will show in the market though so you can install those. You'll have to search for any free apps you had installed.

^^Not correct.

If your google account is set to back up all your settings and apps to it, then when you log in on your new phone, assuming you leave the boxes checked to restore your settings and apps, they should re-download automatically.

As I'm often flashing new ROMs which require a COMPLETE phone wipe, I can tell you my apps restore themselves automatically, every time. Occasionally it won't happen on first activation, but as soon as I even open the market, then everything starts downloading on its own. Free/paid apps, whatever.

Reactions: beh and Wayles

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I've done a couple of resets and didn't get ANYTHING back "automatically". what a pain to redownload 50 apps! twice...

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Make sure your phone is set to back up everything with your google account and "Keep this phone synced" or some such is enabled... because everyone I know who regularly wipes their phones has absolutely no problem watching all their apps re-download completely automatically.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Make sure your phone is set to back up everything with your google account and "Keep this phone synced" or some such is enabled... because everyone I know who regularly wipes their phones has absolutely no problem watching all their apps re-download completely automatically.

I had all that stuff enabled! How long does it usually take to get the so-called automated return of apps and settings?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Lol yeah, as soon as I get a few clicks past the original green android guy at setup its usually started. Like i said sometimes it won't start until I open the market for the first time, but even then it literally starts by itself the second I open the market up. Not sure why it's not so for some of you guys but it has to be a setting you've missed somewhere, cuz again, for us regular phone wipers its not even something we think about lol.

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
^^Not correct.

If your google account is set to back up all your settings and apps to it, then when you log in on your new phone, assuming you leave the boxes checked to restore your settings and apps, they should re-download automatically.

As I'm often flashing new ROMs which require a COMPLETE phone wipe, I can tell you my apps restore themselves automatically, every time. Occasionally it won't happen on first activation, but as soon as I even open the market, then everything starts downloading on its own. Free/paid apps, whatever.

I've NEVER seen this happen and I've reloaded my phones (Incredible, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Bionic) many times. I've always had to reload them from the market. Are you sure this isn't a rooted phone feature of a feature of an app that is used on rooted phones (titanium???)?

waker

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I've NEVER seen this happen and I've reloaded my phones (Incredible, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Bionic) many times. I've always had to reload them from the market. Are you sure this isn't a rooted phone feature of a feature of an app that is used on rooted phones (titanium???)?

Really? Everything redownloads every time I load a new rom on the Thunderbolt. Every single time from the market. It happens right after you sign into your Google account associated with those apps.

I have done this at least a dozen times. Are you selecting autosync when you initially log in during setup?

Sent from my Bolt via Tapatalk.

bigguy_132

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately today's update did not fix my data problem. I have a day 1 phone and hate to go through the hassle of a replacement. Customer service couldn't confirm if I was being shipped a new device or a refurb. Has anyone else been through this? If so, what were you shipped?

This is my first Android device, any advice on how to transfer data, apps, etc. Is it true that all apps will download automatically?

Thanks,
Wayles

When did you get your phone? I am having massive problems with mine and data after the update. I am having good reception with 4G but terrible problems when going back to 3G. I am debating about calling in as well didn't have the issue until after the update.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
let me rewrite that:

you don't know what you are doing

so with just a couple of options, AND with several techs also involved on a couple of calls, NO ONE but you and possibly a select group of geeks, would know the secret of how to accomplish that? I doubt it seriously. and I won't take you seriously, since you haven't given me anything of value to consider as a possible cause of the problem

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I just went through my phone and can't find any setting to sync/reinstall applications when the phone is wiped. Since you're so smart, could you provide some assistance?

FastMoneyPlaya

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
How does the replacement phone compare to the Day 1 phone? VZ is sending me a new phone since the update did not solve the 3G/4G data problem on my Day 1 phone - I should get it later today.

What is the difference between a Day 1 phone and a replacement - did they change the hardware?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae