Internal SD card almost full

sethjk

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Anybody else having issues with their internal storage being nearly full. I can't even figure out what's on mine and I'm under 1/2 a gig left. I don't have that much music there. Could it be the large app data files (asphalt 6, etc...) that's taking up all teh room? Is it possible to move those to external memory.

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Wow you must have a sh*t-ton of stuff on there. I've got about 100 apps installed and still have plenty of room. What I would start with is move all your media (music, vids, ringtones, etc) to your external SD card. That should clear up a bunch of space on internal SD. Then maybe check to see if there are apps you don't ever use, and uninstall those...

sethjk

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
i actually finally figured out what was taking up all the room- it's mostly the game data from games like asphalt 5 and captain America, and a few others. The rest is mostly Google Music cache. It's not the amount of apps for me, it's the size of a few of them.

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hmm never used google music so can't say - I suggest trying to move all that stuff to your SD-EXT and see if google music can find it. It should... all my media files are on my external and all the music apps I've used find them with no issues...

Hardcase

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm having the same issues. I did notice Modern Combat downloaded over 700MB of files. I told it to download to SD Card. I think the file structure on the Bionic is whacked. It is not logically oriented. I think that apps are downloading to the internal instead of the external card and it reads wrong. My external SD card says it has 400 MB of 8.0 GB available. Internally it says 2.3 GB of 3.9 GB. This doesn't make sense, it is a 16 GB card.

It is tedious to sort through all of the folders to figure out which ones are the problems.

I ordered as 64GB card today. That should solve the problem!

Does anyone know a good resource that maps out where programs store data? I found a crapload stored by Google Listen. It was not clearing it's downloads after they were supposedly marked as listened!!! There camera app was storing pics all over the place, too.

ISyncr seems to put music files in the side fully loaded, too.

I just can't seem to get a handle on the storage problems.

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Your internal storage is listed as /sdcard. Your external storage is listed as /sdcard-ext. It stinks because all apps are written to move to /sdcard, which is still internal storage. I'm not sure if this is a Bionic only issue or a Motorola issue.

Hardcase

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Who is the dumba-- at Motorola who thought that would be a good idea? I cleared 2GB of data from my Droid. Next install of a program failed because it needed 90mb and there was not enough room. Moto has made the card essentially usesless.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Who is the dumba-- at Motorola who thought that would be a good idea? I cleared 2GB of data from my Droid. Next install of a program failed because it needed 90mb and there was not enough room. Moto has made the card essentially usesless.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

That was my question too when I found out. I'm still arguing with Moto about it.

DaleGriggs

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
If you are rooted, install Disk Usage. It shows you what is on all three types of storage, phone, SD Card and SD Card Extended, which is your removable SD card. I once filled up a phone because K9 Mail was filling up my phone storage and this app showed me what to do, which was to set K9 to use the SD card for storage. Right now, I have 1783 MB used for Navagon Map storage and if I need the room, I will get rid of all the maps. I also found Madden12 was taking 275 MB even though it had been uninstalled. You can use Root Browser of the Rom Toolbox app to remove anything from anywhere, but be be careful not to get too delete happy.

Reactions: sorli

sorli

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
If you are rooted, install Disk Usage. It shows you what is on all three types of storage, phone, SD Card and SD Card Extended, which is your removable SD card. I once filled up a phone because K9 Mail was filling up my phone storage and this app showed me what to do, which was to set K9 to use the SD card for storage. Right now, I have 1783 MB used for Navagon Map storage and if I need the room, I will get rid of all the maps. I also found Madden12 was taking 275 MB even though it had been uninstalled. You can use Root Browser of the Rom Toolbox app to remove anything from anywhere, but be be careful not to get too delete happy.

Wow thanks for the advice and great utility! I was wondering where all my space was going and Disk Usage just showed me that my phones previous owner had some P2P sharing app downloading (yikes...Desperate House Wives and some other flick I never heard of) that wasn't registered by my apps. I knew they left music that I didn't listen too and was easy to remove, but had know clue about the video files stuffed into some application storage folder. I also noticed leftovers from some of their apps and even some of my old games reported by Disk Usage referencing 1.5GB of Gameloft leftovers that I removed last year, but their data archive was still left on my SD card.

Also of note, I had Verizon do a complete wipe of my phone when I got it aftermarket, had them verify the latest update, and set things up before signing up and I'm guessing Droid Bionic (or all Android devices for that matter) don't completely wipe everything and is why I still had leftovers from the previous owner. Either way, good to know if I ever sell my unit and great recommendation that cleared up 4.5GB of crap of my SD-card storage. I can finally download my offline Google Music files and at least now it doesn't error not having enough space! Sorli...

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
This is a problem with most modern gingerbread phones. The Galaxy S2 and Note also do this. It's really annoying.

The OS will see the internal memory as the sd card, and the physical micro sd is under sdcard-ext.

Good news is that ICS should fix this issue.

hpfcomp

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
After moving my mp3s from sdcard/amazonmp3 to sdcard-ext/amazonmp3 my player apps (Winamp, Google Music) don't "see" them. To play anything I have to open the file through a file mgr. Can anybody help?
Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463