Anyone else jealous that ICS is being pushed to other phones..

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
but not our precious Bionic? For a long time the Bionic was a unicorn.. even had a complete revamp of it's hardware..

I am pretty jealous at this point.. I'd love to wake up tomorrow and find that Motorola had been testing ICS for the Bionic for awhile and it was ready.

I'm too heavily invested in the Bionic now though, else I would have gotten the GN. I have 2 Docks, the MOTOACTV watch, and the extended battery.. *sigh*

:(

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Anyone else jealous that ICS is being pushed to other phones.

You'll see it on bionic around april/may earliest, unless you follow devs who are working on it and will probably have it complete within a few weeks.

I'm buying a gnex in a few days so F it.. Little credit card debt is the American way :)

EDIT: and the only phone its been pushed to is the nexus S, and thats just what you get when you get a nexus

underdonk

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
No way! Get the bugs worked out, then I'll take it. As someone who relies on their phone as a business tool, I will take stability and security over a shiny new and currently buggy interface any day! :)

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
You'll see it on bionic around april/may earliest, unless you follow devs who are working on it and will probably have it complete within a few weeks.

I'm buying a gnex in a few days so F it.. Little credit card debt is the American way :)

Keep and eye on your signal with the GNex. People are reporting issues with signal strength. Every Samsung I have ever had has had a poor radio.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Keep and eye on your signal with the GNex. People are reporting issues with signal strength. Every Samsung I have ever had has had a poor radio.

I hear you.. First day im going to keep it stock and bootloader locked and test the signal around my regular areas. If it isn't at least on par with the bionic's there's a good chance I return it.

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
but not our precious Bionic? For a long time the Bionic was a unicorn.. even had a complete revamp of it's hardware..

I am pretty jealous at this point.. I'd love to wake up tomorrow and find that Motorola had been testing ICS for the Bionic for awhile and it was ready.

I'm too heavily invested in the Bionic now though, else I would have gotten the GN. I have 2 Docks, the MOTOACTV watch, and the extended battery.. *sigh*

Any update is welcome but I personally see some faults in ICS myself. I am a designer and tend to be too critical at times but...the interface is a huge mashup of ideas from other OSs. It lacks some unification. The dialer is cool, the blue color is nice. The icons, contacts, messaging are super ugly. I will be covering up ICS quick with adw launcher and a theme.

Also some feature that were streamlined in Gingerbread have been made less friendly IMO in ICS. For instance you can't long click home screen to add widgets, and long pressing home gives you scrollable windows instead of quick icons. Not too mention a lot of the features ICS has are already available through third party apps, launchers and roms.

I just think Google is hyping the out of Android 4.0 with social suggestion via blogs and forums, that in part is why we all think it is a magical life changer. And when we all have ICS the GNex will not be as mythical as people imagined.

That being said updates are cool but I will be modding the hell out of ICS to fix its faults when it hits.

almahix

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

but not

Me too...the whole Costco pkg. The Samsung is nice and light but it doesn't feel as well built and solid as my Motorola. I am testing out alpha versions of ICS but they really aren't quite ready fir prime time. They will be soon enough. I love my bionic. The difference between it and the GNex is marginal at best.

ninjataint

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site

I can report that I am getting the same strength and data speeds as my bionic did.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

Not jealous. However if the g nex can hold a consistent data signal or a battery life longer than 10 hrs, then I'll be jealous

Muddyml

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I haven't noticed any signal loss yet on my nexus yet. I'm not saying it might not be happening, I'm just saying I haven't noticed it if it is.

projektorboy

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site

How can I be jealous? Google didn't even release the source code for Ice Cream Sandwich until just over a month ago. The only thing getting official ICS builds are the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus S simply because they're Nexus devices that Google officially supports. Since Google has always had the source code internally they're able to push out ICS for those phones quickly.

I'm sure that Motorola, HTC, and Samsung are hard at work with ICS for phones that they know will easily support it (1Ghz+ single or dual core, 512MB+ of RAM, etc) but it will take at least until Q2 of 2012 to see anything resembling a realistic release. They'll rip ICS apart so they can cram their custom UI's on it and then after testing that UI they'll have to undergo carrier testing. It's going to be a giant mess.

Even then, it'll probably be until February that stable daily-use builds of ICS will come out for the Bionic. There's an Alpha floating around right now that boots and works on an extremely basic level, at least.

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Oddly enough, there is a Bionic at a local Verizon store that has ICS on it. The reps swore it just appeared there one day. Very fishy.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

The gnex perfoms par as my old bionic signal wise.......interface (lol) is much slicker.

58Gemni

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

No way! Get the bugs worked out, then I'll take it. As someone who relies on their phone as a business tool, I will take stability and security over a shiny new and currently buggy interface any day! :)
Agree.... I tried the Nexus for 4 days.... the phone has some great features but ICS needs some usability bugs worked out. Composing and sending emails as an example did not have an easy flow. There was a lag for rotate that can not be due to the faster CPU speeds :)

I liked ICS, but it was not ready for me to use in and out every day. I can wait. Oh, I may put it on my Nexus S to play with before I sell it.

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

Pics or it didn't happen. I smell a troll.

Sent from my Liquid Smooth T-Bolt

Why would I be a troll? Someone could have flashed an alpha version of the ICS rom onto the phone. If no one has messed with it since last week I can snag a few pics.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781