Adios my Bionic brethren!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Dove in and bought the g-nex today. I've said on here a million times that I loved my Bionic and I mean it.. breaks my heart to be putting her down. I'm not going to get into a debate, we're all gonna have our opinions and that's fine. Just my decision. I'd love to get into maybe a quick comparison type thing for you guys, nothing major.. idk if anyone expresses interest I'll add one in. I think you guys know I'm a pretty down to earth and fair judge on most matters, at least I try to be. Certainly any specific questions you want to ask about the nex or compared to the bionic I'll do my best to give good answers...

I'm going off topic already lol...

Anyway I just wanted to say thanks to the community here... I've enjoyed checking this place many times a day to see whats up, ask for assistance, offer help, and sound off on the opinion threads. I'll probably still linger around for a good while for those reasons... and hey, who knows maybe within a few days I'll decide to return the nex anyway (unlikely).. but anyhoo, that's all. Hope everyone's having a great weekend and all that jazz :)

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Dove in and bought the g-nex today. I've said on here a million times that I loved my Bionic and I mean it.. breaks my heart to be putting her down. I'm not going to get into a debate, we're all gonna have our opinions and that's fine. Just my decision. I'd love to get into maybe a quick comparison type thing for you guys, nothing major.. idk if anyone expresses interest I'll add one in. I think you guys know I'm a pretty down to earth and fair judge on most matters, at least I try to be. Certainly any specific questions you want to ask about the nex or compared to the bionic I'll do my best to give good answers...

I'm going off topic already lol...

Anyway I just wanted to say thanks to the community here... I've enjoyed checking this place many times a day to see whats up, ask for assistance, offer help, and sound off on the opinion threads. I'll probably still linger around for a good while for those reasons... and hey, who knows maybe within a few days I'll decide to return the nex anyway (unlikely).. but anyhoo, that's all. Hope everyone's having a great weekend and all that jazz :)
Wow surprising to see you go. What made you get a G-Nex?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Wow surprising to see you go. What made you get a G-Nex?

It was shiny and I'm impulsive.

Lol nah.. I like it for my freshly unlocked bootloader. Mad dev support is intriguing to me, and around some other forums you can already see tons of work being done on this phone. Hell just getting it set up this evening was fun for me, finally gave me a reason to get adb working on my computer. Nice to have a phone that I won't have to worry about losing root, getting off the "upgrade path", stuff like that. ICS is really gorgeous on this thing too. Oh and when I saw that Droidth3ory (he's been the dev working on the ROMs I've used on the bionic) had picked one up and already started building a ROM for it I felt even more compelled.

Haha for all I could say it boils down to what I opened with, it was shiny and I'm impulsive :p

So far been a couple hours I've been settling into it. I've had random periods of missing the Bionic, then I'll find something new I can do on the nex and I'm happy. Overall no regrets so far (until I see next month's credit card bill)...

jefmoody

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
OK, I feel like your opening statement could have been mine... But I did not buy the Nexus because I just lost 3K trying (Unsuccessfully) to buy another house and the updates on the bionic cooled my jets a little.
Here are my questions:
1. Is the speakerphone as good as the Bionic?
2. Will the radio hold a signal better than the Bionic? specifically in weak signal areas.
3. Actually, If you would give us a detailed comparison I would appreciate it and not think you are a troll...I mean, you have gained trust and it is a lot cheaper for me to ask you than buy one and find out.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
OK, I feel like your opening statement could have been mine... But I did not buy the Nexus because I just lost 3K trying (Unsuccessfully) to buy another house and the updates on the bionic cooled my jets a little.
Here are my questions:
2. Will the radio hold a signal better than the Bionic? specifically in weak signal areas.
3. Actually, If you would give us a detailed comparison I would appreciate it and not think you are a troll...I mean, you have gained trust and it is a lot cheaper for me to ask you than buy one and find out.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

1. I felt the Bionic's call quality and speaker/speakerphone were fantastic, and this is one thing I was nervous about going from a Moto to a Samsung. Honestly, my initial opinion is it's completely on par, no better or worse. I am very pleased with it. After a couple days to a week in action I'll probably be able to sound off on it even more accurately.
2. So far signal seems a little bit better, but the difference is small. This I mean in terms of bars of service. I have not yet seen the phone drop to 3G, which is a good sign, though I've really only been in my apartment where my Bionic got fine signal too. Tomorrow I'll be at work from 6am to noon... My job site is the one place where I would consistently run into issues with the Bionic, where it would have trouble holding 4G and sometimes would drop data altogether requiring an airplane mode toggle. So I will be keeping a close eye on the nexus then and will let you know how she fares in the weaker signal area. The job site is in the north Bronx, NY and should have fine 4G coverage so I never understood why the signal would get so wonky there (it's theoretically in what should be a better coverage area than my apartment).
--- Something definitely real and very unexpected: The nexus is without a doubt seeing FASTER 4G than the bionic did, so far at least. I'm not a big fan of SpeedTest app's results because on the Bionic they always seemed to come up low even though in real use the 4G speed was always fantastic. But FWIW, the nexus is getting higher scores in that app. And in real use, files and apps are downloading much noticeably faster on the nexus... I wouldn't say it if it weren't very noticeable and def true. I'm also not saying everyone here should be sad about it, I mean the Bionic's 4G speed was always sick for me, so this is just even better.
3. Lol since I clearly love to write and rant and give detail :p maybe I will just do a nice writeup, similar to the initial Bionic review I posted in the sticky up top but focusing more on comparing the 2 devices. I'll start jotting down some thoughts like that in a bit. I hope everyone knows I would never mean it as a troll post, like you said, just an information/opinion share :)

h2opoloplyr_11

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Dont want to hijack your thread.....but making another thread is pointless....

But i am going to have to say so long as well on this part of the forums. I have picked up a g-nex as well. Loved my Bionic.....still do. Its just ive always been a fan of the nexus line (had nexus one and my sister currently has the nexus s).

Thank you for all the support that everyone has given!!!

I am still going to be lurking here every now and then, to try and see if i can help.

h2opoloplyr_11

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Here are my questions:

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Here's another opinion regarding your questions......

1. The speaker phone is almost as good as the Bionics.... Calls and Pandora sounded great....but not as loud as the bionic. Still not enough to nitpick about it. Although notifications and ringtones are very very low..... But i heard volume+ (an app) solves that problem. Havent tried it myself.

2. The radio is excellent on this phone. Although it may seem like bars wise looks less....but we all know its through settings is where you need to go to find signal strength....and i usually hit -90 inside my house that gets crappy signal. Both bionic and g-nex holds about the same in terms signal quality.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Here's another opinion regarding your questions......

1. The speaker phone is almost as good as the Bionics.... Calls and Pandora sounded great....but not as loud as the bionic. Still not enough to nitpick about it. Although notifications and ringtones are very very low..... But i heard volume+ (an app) solves that problem. Havent tried it myself.

2. The radio is excellent on this phone. Although it may seem like bars wise looks less....but we all know its through settings is where you need to go to find signal strength....and i usually hit -90 inside my house that gets crappy signal. Both bionic and g-nex holds about the same in terms signal quality.

Yes, get that volume+ app (Downloads | AndroidAudioHacks)!! Fixed my concerns about the volume level very easily :)

Also you were right in your other post, I won't make another pointless thread, lol. I just finished my write up and will post it in here in a few, Let me know what you think, be fun to trade opinions with someone else who just made the same jump :)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
2defmouze's Official Bionic vs Gnex Comparison
Since there was a little interest expressed, and I love writing stuff up, I'm offering a comparison/review of the G-nexus vs. Bionic. I would never look to make a troll post or start a flame war, so please don't view it as that. I just wanted to give some honest impressions/opinions... Remember, you are certainly not required to read on any further if its going to make you a sad panda. That being said, if you like the way I compare and review and have any questions or specifics you'd like me to sound off on I'd be more than happy to. For this I'm going to follow the layout of topics give in the sticky for Bionic initial impressions/reviews, but I'm doing this for comparison purposes, not review purposes, so if their really isn't much difference or comparing them is not relevant for some aspect, I won't bother.

Aesthetics: The Gnex is very pretty, but so is the Bionic. They each are beautiful, well-built phones, IMO. Nothing about the Gnex feels “cheap” to me, as people love to say about Samsung phones. Both are great. As something for you to LoL at me about, its taking me a bit to get used to having the power button on the side now and volume buttons on opposite side. I've dumbly jammed on the top of the phone trying to wake it up to no avail. Its even funnier right now since I'm trying to compare the 2 phones and make them do the same things at the same time... :)

Screen: Gnex screen is obviously bigger and the HD SAMOLED PLUS MEGA BOOBIES whatever is a great screen. Other people will probably rave more about how one is so much better than the other, but honestly I think they are both great screens. The Gnex seems to default to a lower brightness (set on auto) than the Bionic. I toggled them both to max brightness and just fired up the same youtube vid on both devices and held side by side, along with some games and images. Actually this was my first time doing that and right now I have to say I can see the differences and the nexus is the winner. Might be the first time I've noticed the dreaded “pentile-ness” on the Bionic's screen (Yep, I went there..). Colors and shades look nicer on the nexus and edges are definitely smoother. I'm actually pretty impressed at this very moment... but ya know, I'd still think the Bionic's screen was fantastic if I'd never held the nexus. Now it just seems, less fantastic :\

Phone: In my other post I said they were on par, but after just having a call I tested it out a little more, mostly on speakerphone, Moto wins. The Samsung is actually pretty good and clear, but compared to the Bionic I have to be honest and it doesn't sound AS clear. Call sounded just a bit staticy, not bad by any means, but certainly Moto is more clear. Whatever Moto does to their hardware in regards to phone performance, they are still king :)

Overall User Interface: How do you compare Gingerbread/Blur to pure ICS? Not in any fair way probably. It's just a gorgeous new OS, IMHO. I'll try and stop raving, and I'm sure everyone is going to have their own opinion anyway. I really, really do love it though. I don't think I could run a stock build of android before, I would have needed to have [INSERT NAME OF YOUR PREFERRED 3RD PARTY LAUNCHER], but I am just loving ICS in all its stock glory. I really hope Moto doesn't ruin it with blur for you guys, but I'd recommend hopping on some dev's pure builds when they are ready.

Widgets: I'm not a big widget user so won't say too much. I use Beautiful Widgets superclock for my main homescreen, and a calendar widget on another, but nothing else worth mentioning even. I'm trying out the Gmail widget and its really nice, but I never really used it on the Bionic so can't compare.

Signal quality: Pasting this from my other post-- So far signal seems a little bit better, but the difference is small. This I mean in terms of bars of service. I have not yet seen the phone drop to 3G, which is a good sign, though I've really only been in my apartment where my Bionic got fine signal too. Tomorrow I'll be at work from 6am to noon... My job site is the one place where I would consistently run into issues with the Bionic, where it would have trouble holding 4G and sometimes would drop data altogether requiring an airplane mode toggle. So I will be keeping a close eye on the nexus then and will let you know how she fares in the weaker signal area. The job site is in the north Bronx, NY and should have fine 4G coverage so I never understood why the signal would get so wonky there (it's theoretically in what should be a better coverage area than my apartment).
--- Something definitely real and very unexpected: The nexus is without a doubt seeing FASTER 4G than the bionic did, so far at least. I'm not a big fan of SpeedTest app's results because on the Bionic they always seemed to come up low even though in real use the 4G speed was always fantastic. But FWIW, the nexus is getting higher scores in that app. And in real use, files and apps are downloading much noticeably faster on the nexus... I wouldn't say it if it weren't very noticeable and def true. I'm also not saying everyone here should be sad about it, I mean the Bionic's 4G speed was always sick for me, so this is just even better.

GPS: Seems every bit as quick and accurate as it was on the Bionic. Haven't tried navigation yet, but I really don't expect any differences.

Email/Calendar: The new gmail and calendar apps are very nice upgrades, as you would expect. You probably know or could look up the changes, most of which are subtle I'd say but still really nice, so I won't bore you with them.

Battery Life: Way too early for me to say, especially since I spent all last night going through plugging and unplugging from USB and many reboots while I was unlocking, rooting, flashing clockwork recovery, backing up stuff, playing around with adb, etc etc etc. I'll have a better feel for it in a few days. Also I have the extended battery in (which, as every article points out, should have been the stock battery since it doesn't add any noticeable size difference), never even took the stock battery out of its wrapper, lol, so that's going to make a difference too (its 2100 mAh versus the stock bionic one which I think was 1750 mAh or so, right?).

Performance: Much smoother and quicker than the Bionic. The combination of pure ICS versus blur-skinned GB, plus the slightly faster processor, equals much quicker operation, no 2 ways about it. The processor alone is definitely a noticeable improvement on its own. When I operate it clockwork recovery to make backups and stuff its a lot faster than it was on the Bionic – I'm using that as an example since its a situation where the OS is not even loaded yet.

Media (music, movies, DLNA): Since I already commented on screen differences I don't have to again. Don't know what else is going to make a difference really. Yeah the bigger size of the screen makes watching videos even better, but that's just a given. Music performance through stock player seems very similar, although a tad crisper on the nexus. When I flipped on the nexus' equalizer the sound quality was even better. Though I never had any complaints about listening to music on my Bionic.

Keyboard's: I use swiftkey x so can't compare much, though it seems to be performing a little better on this device (bit more accurate and responsive). Until I set it up I used the stock keyboard for a couple hours and it worked fine, as it also did on the Bionic, IMO.

Camera (both still & video): Well... Every single review you read of the nexus starts with saying something about how you don't really appreciate the Zero-shutter lag until you use it... and yep its true. The split second you touch the shutter button, the picture is done, unless you are in low light and it needs to use the flash, in which case it takes about a tenth of a second longer, lol. And for all that quickness, pictures come out well-focused. Here's 2 comparison shots, 1st link is taken with the bionic (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/47300967/bionic.jpg), 2nd with the nex (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/47300967/nexus.jpg). I'm sorry for that ugly dog, she's my roommate's :) Even though the pics were taken at 8mp on bionic and 5mp on the nexus, I think its tough to see a difference. The built in options and editing features on the Nexus' camera and gallery apps are sick as well, but you can read many reviews and descriptions about them. Nexus just wins this category hands down.

Disappointments (Let's call this, Things I Miss About The Bionic): For one, the Contacts app (now called People) I think I preferred more before, although I'm still just adjusting to some of the differences.
Second, No facebook contact sync! Yep its true, you can google it to find out why, but in pure google OS' contact sync with facebook is currently not enabled and I miss it. However, the next update (4.0.3) is supposedly going to allow them to fix that, I'm guessing because so many people who just bought the nexus without reading up about that first have been screaming at Google and VZ about it, lol. I'm well aware that I can also use syncmypix to get the images I'm used to, as well as friendster or friendcaster or whatever... just haven't gotten around to it yet, but not having it natively available, at least not yet, is disappointing.
No HDMI out... Meh, tbh it was more of a novelty for me, something to show off to people that I never really used. I miss knowing it was there though, lol. Certainly if its something you use with any regularity you'll want to steer clear of this phone.
That's about it.. I mean here and there I keep finding out I can't do something like I was used to, then I realize I just do it a little differently on this phone and its all good. Probably after some more time I'll have a better idea of what, if anything, I felt the Bionic did better, for now everything is overall very sweet, I'm very happy with this phone, and now I'm off to play with it some more.

Hope I was able to provide some info, if anyone wants me to weigh in on something else, or to go into more detail on any topic I already covered, just ask!

mamawM

May 17, 2010
Visit site
congrats on the new phones guys, but do stick around as i'm sure many of us will have questions. and i do, does ics allow you to set up homescreen folders? i have not been able to do this on my honeycomb tablet and understand that the feature was left out of honeycomb.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
ICS folder system is really sick.. Just smooth and intuitive as anything, love it :)

To update on signal in weak areas.. Im at work now and the nexus is having similar issues as the bionic did here :/ However I'd say its a little bit better, not much though. The handoff between 3g/4g is noticeably improved, but its not magically getting 4g consistently as I was hoping, lol. So its par for the course. Both 3g and 4g speeds are quicker on this phone though, fwiw.

EDIT: And yeah ill still be around here regularly to help out and answer questions, as you can see :)

58Gemni

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Great thread.... I picked up a Bionic launch day and have had a great experience with it. I switched from a Nexus S on T-mobile so of course, I would be looking at getting a Nexus now that Verizon had it.

Picked up the Nexus on Friday. I love being an early adopter and enjoy working through the issues, but there are a few things about the Nexus that are bring me to return it and go back to the Bionic.

1) Screen Brightness - The Bionic automatic screen brightness works better for my eyes. It is always at the level I need, with the Nexus, I keep wanting to turn up the screen brightness.

2) Signal Strength - My daughter and wife have a charge, I have the Bionic and the Nexus. The Nexus is consistently lower on signal strength. It has kept signal just fine, but with the Nexus S I had, the radio is just not as robust as the Moto (especially now with the latest update)

3) Battery life - the Nexus screen is just burning through the battery. Sure, I put the extended battery on the Bionic and had a hard time getting to 50% every day, but 2 hrs of screen time (in moderately low light) and down to 70%? Sure I can get the extended for the Nexus but it has only a slightly larger capacity than stock.

4) Docks - I got the Bionic from Costco with all the accessories. I also use Tasker so when I put the Bionic on the dock at night, the notification volume goes down but the ringer stays normal. (see the Nexus threads for complaints about the notification and ring volumes stuck together) Also, when I put the Bionic in the car dock, bammo, blue tooth and GPS radios turn on just in case I had them off. Not sure with the good Nexus docks will be available.

With all that said, love both phones. I am trying to justify keeping the Nexus because I always like to have the latest and greatest. But the Bionic just fits better in the way I use a phone every day.

jefmoody

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Great thread.... I picked up a Bionic launch day and have had a great experience with it. I switched from a Nexus S on T-mobile so of course, I would be looking at getting a Nexus now that Verizon had it.

Picked up the Nexus on Friday. I love being an early adopter and enjoy working through the issues, but there are a few things about the Nexus that are bring me to return it and go back to the Bionic.

1) Screen Brightness - The Bionic automatic screen brightness works better for my eyes. It is always at the level I need, with the Nexus, I keep wanting to turn up the screen brightness.

2) Signal Strength - My daughter and wife have a charge, I have the Bionic and the Nexus. The Nexus is consistently lower on signal strength. It has kept signal just fine, but with the Nexus S I had, the radio is just not as robust as the Moto (especially now with the latest update)

3) Battery life - the Nexus screen is just burning through the battery. Sure, I put the extended battery on the Bionic and had a hard time getting to 50% every day, but 2 hrs of screen time (in moderately low light) and down to 70%? Sure I can get the extended for the Nexus but it has only a slightly larger capacity than stock.

4) Docks - I got the Bionic from Costco with all the accessories. I also use Tasker so when I put the Bionic on the dock at night, the notification volume goes down but the ringer stays normal. (see the Nexus threads for complaints about the notification and ring volumes stuck together) Also, when I put the Bionic in the car dock, bammo, blue tooth and GPS radios turn on just in case I had them off. Not sure with the good Nexus docks will be available.

With all that said, love both phones. I am trying to justify keeping the Nexus because I always like to have the latest and greatest. But the Bionic just fits better in the way I use a phone every day.

So many points to consider... How about the size? I need the biggest screen possible with 45 year old eyes...

58Gemni

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
So many points to consider... How about the size? I need the biggest screen possible with 45 year old eyes...
I have 53 year old eyes so the screen is important... The Bionic is much easier on the eyes to me.

As for size? the extra real estate on the Nexus is mostly for the soft buttons and actually, one of my widgets shows up smaller on the Nexus (Business Calendar 4x2). Seems the grid for icons is smaller overall.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
The Moto LTE phones have an LTE chip that doesnt reach faster speeds as the G Nex, T Bolt and Rezound. Something about Cat 2 vs Cat 3. Just read about this today.

The ONLY thing that would me get a G Nex and keep it, switch from my RAZR is reception. Seeing as how there is an issues with how the G Nex or ICS reports it....I will probably have to get one and test it myself just to see. I said at another site if it can at least match my Droid 1 I MIGHT keep it. All I know is going from the Droid 1 to the Droid X1 to the RAZR reception got better each time. Pretty sure the Bionic is in that mix too.

And to be honest....the Bionic is the real sleeper, not the Rezound that some ppl claimed.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Screen is great on the nexus, bigger, sharper, crisper, nicer than bionic's... but if the bionic screen works for you, who really cares? lol

Just wanted to update and say I'd never be able to give a good battery life comparison here... Not only am I using the extended on the nexus but now I've started flashing new kernels, the one I'm on now actually overclocks it to 1.35 gHz while undervolting it to save battery.. on relatively low use I had it running 14 hrs and still had 74% battery left (insane)... but yeah, its just not comparable because of so many differences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol