Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Who's battery life sucks after 5.5.893 OTA?

I loaded the 5.5.893 software update and since then battery life has gone down dramatically. Any ideas or others experiencing this?

ROM
    stock

Default Re: Who's battery life sucks after 5.5.893 OTA?

"Suck"s is a bit strong. I'd say my battery life is somewhat worse after the update. Everything else is somewhat improved.

Mine's fine. The wife's Bionic's battery life is fine.

My battery life seems to be about the same... My main compliant is my dropped 3G/4g which got worse with update

Mine is lower by about 4-5 hrs...launch date bionic here

ROM
    2.3.4/ 1.4.1/ 4.0.3

battery life appears to be fine. however i have had two black screens of death since the update

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

My battery life has gone way down. Data connection not much better. I have also now had 3 instances when my connection was so poor that it wouldn't even let me make a call. Overall, my phone works worse after the update and it didn't work too swift before it....

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

I am using the extended battery and haven't noticed any battery difference.

Data stability has been a little better for me, however I too have noticed a decrease in battery life.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
    "Suck"s is a bit strong. I'd say my battery life is somewhat worse after the update. Everything else is somewhat improved.
    I'm attempting another factory reset, this time I'll wipe out the memory cards as well. What actually does "Suck" is the loss of data connectivity even after it was supposed to be fixed.

My battery life is the same or maybe even a little better...not sure what your issue could be.

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

I have now done one last factory reset. Possibly even worse now!!!! Think I will be moving to the rezound.

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    ROM
    2.635.7-g68606e6

Mines is MUCH better. Added almost double life.

My battery life is slightly better. I've also had 1 Black Screen of Death since the update so that hasn't gone away yet

Mine discharges quicker since the update.

Mine was great with the extended battery, I was getting 2 days with light use but the update did seem to eat a little more battery (5-10%)......then the network went down again on the 28th and things haven't been the same. I can't get back on the 4g network, only been on 3g for the past 5 days now and the phone dies 4-5 hours after I unplug it from a full charge, I don't even touch it, no phone calls or surfing, just a black screen in idle mode; battery use show the majority going to cell standby. I think it has to do with the phone continually trying to authenticate with the 4g network.

Damn stuff is burning me out.

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

After a system update sometimes the battery calibration gets off. If you download a nifty app called "battery calibration" and follow it's instructions it will reset them back for you. I do this on every system update.

5.5.893 seems to be on average with the last update I had, which was the 5.7.8xx leaked update I had, I forget the specific number now.

Quote Originally Posted by McBane View Post
    After a system update sometimes the battery calibration gets off. If you download a nifty app called "battery calibration" and follow it's instructions it will reset them back for you. I do this on every system update.

5.5.893 seems to be on average with the last update I had, which was the 5.7.8xx leaked update I had, I forget the specific number now.
    Does the program require root?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Mine's worse as well and SOMETHING is causing 'Android OS' % usage to spike. PLEASE FIX THIS!

Quote Originally Posted by dequardo View Post
    Mine's worse as well and SOMETHING is causing 'Android OS' % usage to spike. PLEASE FIX THIS!
    I don't think anything is "causing" the Android OS to spike. Something has to be at the top of the list, and think about it, the Operating System of the Device (the CPU) that is running almost ALL the time should probably be at the top of the list. That is unless you are doing some heavy web surfing or playing a game.
    Just last night when I laid down I checked my battery and after 18h and some minutes it was only down to 50%...to me that's pretty normal, and of course my Android OS was at the top of the chart, but I wouldn't say my battery life is any worse after the update. Sure the chart that shows battery use percentages has changed, but not my battery life itself. JMO

I really think the battery usage statistics chart is misunderstood. I dare say that if you charge your phone, unplug it, and turn on your display and keep if from going to sleep for say about an hour or so, then the display would be at the top of the list.

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ewing33855 View Post
    Does the program require root?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Yes the app does require root

My battery life was awful before the update. It would use almost exactly 10% per hour when the phone went unused for that period of time. If I used it, it would be much worse. Then immediately after the update, it could go about 2 hours using close to 1% if I didn't do anything with it. I used the phone normally for two days without charging and had about 30% left when I decided to charge it up again. I don't know what happened, but starting last Friday, it went back to its 10% per hour thing. It's my first smartphone, so at first I wasn't sure what to expect. But after getting good battery life with it and having it revert back to the way it was initially, I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my phone. Or if it has to do with the update. I guess I'll just wait for the .901, see if it works long term, and if it doesn't, get a refurbished one.
    Has anybody had this experience?
    In answer to the posted question -- no and yes. It didn't suck at first after the update, but now it does. And I was really loving this phone for that limited period of time.

Mine is definitely worse after the update. I also think my 3G/4G connectivity is worse too.

Launch Day 1st bionic in my City. OTA has lowered my batt life noticeably. Used to make it home and to bed where my HD Dock is on 1 charge, now i just barely make it home sometimes and it actually died as soon as I got home from work and it was barely used and 9/10 times I have to plug in at work to make it home. May have part to play of recent 4G outages but it has been noticed alot more since the OTA. Meh, just waiting for the next one to show up.
    I'd bet Cory's Right Arm on that!