Why Can't My Phone Connect to WIFI?

feedmeccc

May 31, 2011
Visit site
When I try to connect to WIFI it says authenticating and then it says disconnected. It won't let my phone connect to WIFI, and for certain tasks I need WIFI. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

SonicJoe

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
When I try to connect to WIFI it says authenticating and then it says disconnected. It won't let my phone connect to WIFI, and for certain tasks I need WIFI. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Is it your own Wifi? If so, are you filtering MAC addresses? That usually happens when MAC address filtering is enabled and your device's MAC address is not in the table.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Is it your own Wifi? If so, are you filtering MAC addresses? That usually happens when MAC address filtering is enabled and your device's MAC address is not in the table.

Exactly what happened to me. For some reason the wireless router reset and the MAC address filtering didn't see my bionic MAC address anymore. Rekeyed it into the allowed MAC address table and bingo everything back to normal.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
What exactly is MAC? My phone is doing the same thing after working just fine for months on my home wifi.

MAC when it comes to networking means Media Access Control. Each network adapter (such as an ethernet adapter, or a WiFi radio) has a specific and unique MAC address. More info if you really want to know more is here: MAC Addressing - Introduction to the MAC Address

Most WiFi routers, to give you a relatively false sense of security, allow you to restrict the devices that connect to it to a specific list of MAC addresses. (I say false sense of security because anybody who knows what they are doing would be able, without much effort, to determine a valid MAC address and set their own WiFi adapter to use that address. This MAC filtering security, however, will allow you to prevent people from connecting easily if you have no other security.)

You would have had to create this list on your router for this to be the cause of any WiFi connectivity problems. So, if you haven't just made this change on your router, it's doubtful that this is the cause of any sudden WiFi connectivity problems.

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
i recently had that same problem but it was with a specific router. apparently someone had gone in and changed the security protocols.

for some reason i had no problem connecting my laptop using the same password that i had personally set up. but NONE of the phones and a netbook could connect.

it was at a family christmas party.

it got fixed by another person and i was able to connect my phone last time i was over there.

oyveiben

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
i'm having a similar problem. my phone worked fine since july, then the wifi suddenly stopped working, similar to what was described above. It cycles between disconnected, scanning and obtaining ip address endlessly no matter what wifi source i try (3 so far). Also, i'm sure no passwords or security protocols were changed
if no one has another solution, backing up your data, doing a hard reset and reloading it might fix it but it might take a while
:(

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
i'm having a similar problem. my phone worked fine since july, then the wifi suddenly stopped working, similar to what was described above. It cycles between disconnected, scanning and obtaining ip address endlessly no matter what wifi source i try (3 so far). Also, i'm sure no passwords or security protocols were changed
if no one has another solution, backing up your data, doing a hard reset and reloading it might fix it but it might take a while
:(

What are your 802.11 settings on the router? 802.11n only, 802.11 b/g, 802.11 b/g/n, g only, for example?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
You log in to the router's settings page - it's usually a web page that you get to from a pc web browser, connecting to the router's IP address and logging in with the user name and password for the administrator on the router. Apple Airport routers have a standalone application that you can run instead, though.

Crystal Sloan

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi im having problems too....I just moved to NC from NY. of course i had a NY number. I have a ZTE Merit prepaid phone through net 10.and it's android. Well when i got to NC..i have no service what so ever..but i thought you could still use wifi with no service. i need help cause my wifi is not working at all.:(

Catherine111

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Try to reset your phone once and then try to get connected to Wi-Fi or you manually add a Wi-Fi network and then try to get connected. Use these options and I think at least one of the option will work for sure.

Arturs Pless

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I solved problem for TP LINK router. Had problems with connecting galaxy s to the router. Enetered local ( for Latvia it was 158.148.60.20) DNS into DHCP conifugartion, and everything works fine!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
What should I change it to..???
Right nw it is 802.11 b+g+n

pls reply soon

Here is what I would do: change it to 802.11g only, and see if that works. If it does, then try 802.11g+n. 802.11b should only be used if you have really old equipment that doesn't support 802.11g.

BTW, which router do you own? Make and model number. There should be a sticker on the bottom or the back somewhere.

Naylady

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
My phone is having the same problem. All of the other phones and laptops in my house can connect to the WiFi but mine cannot. Do I still have to correct the MAC settings even though it's only my phone having the problem?

KeShawn13

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
If it's your wifi then hit the windows key and type in cmd and it will pull up command prompt,from the command prompt type in ipconfig /all and it will show you your ip address if you look for ipv4,type your ip address in your browser in the url box and/or: add /index.asp,and it will pull up your router's page after that ,click on tools and you can change the password,i forgot how but i found out my password while messing around in my route's page,it should help really,i use it everytime in face i just used it tto find out my passcode i forgot,well peace

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie