Can I turn off data?

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I go to Canada each year about 5-7 trips. Data and voice is very expensive there. Every time I change to the Canadian plan and back when state side, they screw up my account.
TEXTING is always free in Canada and that has sufficed for my short stays. I was able to turn off data on my Blackberry TOUR....but I can't find a way to turn it off on my BIONIC.
Does anyone know of a way to do this? Otherwise I pull my battery and do with out the phone for my stay.

mamawM

May 17, 2010
Visit site
i think this will work, might want to try it out before you cross the border though just to make sure.
settings>battery & data manager>data delivery and uncheck all options.

OHbenhamean

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
lol yes you can turn off data over the mobile network, it is a setting under battery & data manager, data delivery, then data enabled. Or you can download "data switch" for a widget that will do the same thing..

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I thank you! I will try turning it off tomorrow and see if it seems to be doing the job. I would hate to get clobbered with data charges in Canada! I was actually thinking of using another device for those trips. I sure how it works.

soulsurvives

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I used to go in and out of Canada about 3 times a week for work....did it for several years....I would just set my phone for home only setting under the cdma settings.....not once did I get tagged with Canada roaming ....the best part is that when I was close enough to the states I could pick up a us Verizon tower.....was great

dequardo#AC

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
What Perkdog said. Make certain roaming is turn off for data under settings, battery and data manager, data delivery. Two boxes there.

frozzy24

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
This is good to know, thanks for all the info, lol. I'm from Canada but have moved to Arizona several years ago but I do go back for visits with family/friends every year. BTW how is texting free? I'm charged 20 cents per text from VW, lol, needless to say, the text is cheaper than the call at this point, especially when I just want to say, "call me at so and so's house" LOL.

I'm having issues with my Samsung Charge :mad: and looking at exchanging it for the Motorola Bionic...thus the reason for my peering into this thread. :D

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm with Verizon of course....the friends and family 700 minute plan. I have 4 phones on my account only 1 with data plan. Verizon does NOT charge for texting OTHER verizon....or AT+T for that matter(my brothers plan) while in Canada. My plan includes unlimited texting on all phones. SOoo when we are there we only text one another. This worked out great in the past. My Blackberry tour was easy to turn the data off on. I thought the Bionic would NOT allow me to turn it off. I am going to investigate it further with the above advice but...My Bionic decided to go deaf in the ear piece and its in on a warranty claim.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc