GO launcher EX -- worth it (memory question)
04-25-2012 08:35 AM
- So i tried Go launcher EX and i enjoyed the interface and the ability to delete the extra screens that "blur" wont let you delete.
but I noticed that even if i kill all the apps on blur its memory footprint was still rather large... almost half of "Go launcher EX" footprint fully loaded...
i love the launcher but since we can't kill the blur process as a home environment im asking if its smart to use in the long run with it eating that much ram... or do any of you know of a program that will kill the blur home environment and make Go Launcher the only one (i dont care if it costs money) id gladly pay for a good program...
im almost to the point im willing to root the phone for a custom clean UI...02-03-2012 01:54 PM
- Where's the go launcher love? I use it on my rooted bionic with Eclipse 2.1 rc1 and .901 Radio.
I am just very comfortable with Go Launcher and the very basic "A Black" theme and I have it all set up as I want.
I never tried ADW or any of the others, actually, will doing so give me significant performance increase?
Also, there is a feature in Go Launcher that is a task killer: it shows all running tasks and you can click "close all" and purportedly resources are freed up. I use it all the time.02-06-2012 09:39 AM
I use Android Pro Widgets (facebook, messaging and contacts) and Agenda Widget + to replace the Blur widgets that you lose when you go with a custom launcher.02-06-2012 12:19 PM
I have a Droid 3, not a Bionic - similar, but half the RAM. I find that, all things being equal, ADW EX uses less RAM, and has fewer homescreen redraws, than GO EX. GO has some really nice, free widgets, though.02-06-2012 02:35 PMLike 1
- I currently use a rooted and debloated Bionic. I removed the blur home and installed Go Launcher EX. I was an avid Launcher Pro fan for a long time until Go Launcher EX got everything together I loved. I then made the switch and haven't looked back. I only use 5 screens cause that's all I find I need, but I never notice lag of any sort. I've got it pretty customized as well. I actually love my Bionic. I have never had any issue that I couldn't handle or work out myself. These phones are mini PCs really. So, you kinda need to have some of those basic skills to have your phone work perfect for you. So, I so YES on Go Launcher EX!
That's my two cents...02-06-2012 03:23 PM
- Just a quick note that ADW EX is different from plain ADW. For one thing, it is not free; for another, it allows you to add home screens - quite easily, actually.
I have a Droid 3, not a Bionic - similar, but half the RAM. I find that, all things being equal, ADW EX uses less RAM, and has fewer homescreen redraws, than GO EX. GO has some really nice, free widgets, though.
I have ADW Ex - from the $0.10 sale -- how do you get more than 5 home screens? I do not see it under any
branch of the ADW settings.02-06-2012 03:58 PM
- I have now tried Go Launcher Ex on four phones - HTC Desire HD, LG Optimus 2X, Google Nexus S and also a HTC Sensation I think - all with the same result... LAG! I haven're tried rooting any of them yet, but is that a must? On my current Nexus S I must admit I have around 120 apps which might show it down a bit, but it hasn't been a problem when running stock ICS.
Sometimes when I open the app drawer or when I leave an app to go back to the main screen it sometimes takes around 5 seconds. In the app drawer first 8 icons appear and none of them in folders. After a little wait they all are shown correctly in folders and the correct order.
So my question is if I should roote it or if this lag is what you would expect from a custom launcher..?04-25-2012 07:09 AM
- Sometimes when I open the app drawer or when I leave an app to go back to the main screen it sometimes takes around 5 seconds. In the app drawer first 8 icons appear and none of them in folders. After a little wait they all are shown correctly in folders and the correct order.
You can try to prevent this by (from Go) menu->preferences->Advanced Settings and make sure that "Prevent force close" is set. If this is already set, you can try setting "System persistent" to see if that prevents the app being closed when not active.
Anyway, I have less lag with Go than with the stock Moto launcher on the D3. I go back and forth between Go and ADW EX - you may want to try that one instead, or even Zeam launcher.
Of course, you may get better answers in the forums for those devices you listed rather than here in the Bionic forum, since people who check in here generally are Bionic users.04-25-2012 08:35 AM
- Motorola Android Phones
- More Motorola Phones
- Verizon Droid Forums
- Droid Bionic
GO launcher EX -- worth it (memory question)
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD