Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By doogald
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default GO launcher EX -- worth it (memory question)

So i tried Go launcher EX and i enjoyed the interface and the ability to delete the extra screens that "blur" wont let you delete.

but I noticed that even if i kill all the apps on blur its memory footprint was still rather large... almost half of "Go launcher EX" footprint fully loaded...

i love the launcher but since we can't kill the blur process as a home environment im asking if its smart to use in the long run with it eating that much ram... or do any of you know of a program that will kill the blur home environment and make Go Launcher the only one (i dont care if it costs money) id gladly pay for a good program...

im almost to the point im willing to root the phone for a custom clean UI...

Default Re: GO launcher EX -- worth it (memory question)

Rooted phone with ade ex is amazing ... just saying... i don't look for roms anymore and underclocking gives me 2 days of charge with no lag
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

If i root can i pick the home i want?

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts

I find Adw Ex to perform the best on my Bionic. Go Launcher Ex is nice but is choppy for me.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Android Addict

ROM
    Stock rooted 4.1.2 JB

Go Launcher is nice, but to get it to do what you want, you have to install all the extra modules. Launcher Pro Plus is another good one that does Go Launcher will do without all the extra downloads.
    @Android_Lee
    Galaxy Note III
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 5
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 7
    KitKat 4.4 Stock Rooted

Rooted and running Eclipse v2.1. Love running this with the custom themes over having a resource hog launcher from the market.

Where's the go launcher love? I use it on my rooted bionic with Eclipse 2.1 rc1 and .901 Radio.
    I am just very comfortable with Go Launcher and the very basic "A Black" theme and I have it all set up as I want.
    I never tried ADW or any of the others, actually, will doing so give me significant performance increase?

Also, there is a feature in Go Launcher that is a task killer: it shows all running tasks and you can click "close all" and purportedly resources are freed up. I use it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelv View Post
    I find Adw Ex to perform the best on my Bionic. Go Launcher Ex is nice but is choppy for me.

I loved GO EX -- but it seemed to lag when switching home screens. ADW is really smooth (but it only has 5 home screens vs. many more on GO).

I use Android Pro Widgets (facebook, messaging and contacts) and Agenda Widget + to replace the Blur widgets that you lose when you go with a custom launcher.

Quote Originally Posted by scottmporter View Post
    I loved GO EX -- but it seemed to lag when switching home screens. ADW is really smooth (but it only has 5 home screens vs. many more on GO).
    Just a quick note that ADW EX is different from plain ADW. For one thing, it is not free; for another, it allows you to add home screens - quite easily, actually.

I have a Droid 3, not a Bionic - similar, but half the RAM. I find that, all things being equal, ADW EX uses less RAM, and has fewer homescreen redraws, than GO EX. GO has some really nice, free widgets, though.
    ccm435 likes this.

I currently use a rooted and debloated Bionic. I removed the blur home and installed Go Launcher EX. I was an avid Launcher Pro fan for a long time until Go Launcher EX got everything together I loved. I then made the switch and haven't looked back. I only use 5 screens cause that's all I find I need, but I never notice lag of any sort. I've got it pretty customized as well. I actually love my Bionic. I have never had any issue that I couldn't handle or work out myself. These phones are mini PCs really. So, you kinda need to have some of those basic skills to have your phone work perfect for you. So, I so YES on Go Launcher EX!

-cm-

That's my two cents...

Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    Just a quick note that ADW EX is different from plain ADW. For one thing, it is not free; for another, it allows you to add home screens - quite easily, actually.

I have a Droid 3, not a Bionic - similar, but half the RAM. I find that, all things being equal, ADW EX uses less RAM, and has fewer homescreen redraws, than GO EX. GO has some really nice, free widgets, though.

I have ADW Ex - from the $0.10 sale -- how do you get more than 5 home screens? I do not see it under any
    branch of the ADW settings.

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scottmporter View Post
    I have ADW Ex - from the $0.10 sale -- how do you get more than 5 home screens? I do not see it under any
    branch of the ADW settings.
    On the home screen hit menu then select "edit". There are plus buttons on the top left and right.

On the home screen hit menu then select "edit". There are plus buttons on the top left and right.
    I am such a NOOB sometimes -- I though that everything was under ADW Settings. Thanks!! I love the Android community!!

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts

Glad to help

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

love go launcher on my non-rooted Bionic. Works very smoothly on my phone.

I have now tried Go Launcher Ex on four phones - HTC Desire HD, LG Optimus 2X, Google Nexus S and also a HTC Sensation I think - all with the same result... LAG! I haven're tried rooting any of them yet, but is that a must? On my current Nexus S I must admit I have around 120 apps which might show it down a bit, but it hasn't been a problem when running stock ICS.

Sometimes when I open the app drawer or when I leave an app to go back to the main screen it sometimes takes around 5 seconds. In the app drawer first 8 icons appear and none of them in folders. After a little wait they all are shown correctly in folders and the correct order.

So my question is if I should roote it or if this lag is what you would expect from a custom launcher..?

Quote Originally Posted by Sporally View Post
    Sometimes when I open the app drawer or when I leave an app to go back to the main screen it sometimes takes around 5 seconds. In the app drawer first 8 icons appear and none of them in folders. After a little wait they all are shown correctly in folders and the correct order.
    What's happening when you press home from an app is that Android has closed Go Launcher (or, made it inactive) while you were running the foreground app, so the launcher has to be restarted from scratch after you press home. I did notice that happening more with Go than with ADW EX on my Droid 3 (also a 512 MB RAM phone, unlike the Bionic with 1 GB).

You can try to prevent this by (from Go) menu->preferences->Advanced Settings and make sure that "Prevent force close" is set. If this is already set, you can try setting "System persistent" to see if that prevents the app being closed when not active.

Anyway, I have less lag with Go than with the stock Moto launcher on the D3. I go back and forth between Go and ADW EX - you may want to try that one instead, or even Zeam launcher.

Of course, you may get better answers in the forums for those devices you listed rather than here in the Bionic forum, since people who check in here generally are Bionic users.