Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Activating Bionic problem

I received my Bionic and tried to activate it. I spent 2 hours trying the method from the instructions, that didnt work. I was on the phone with verizon help support for most of Friday night. The technician, after a couple of hours, just suggested that a new SIM card was needed. He sent my order to my local Verizon store so that they could install it. When I arrived and told the help person my problem, he said he had run into this problem many times. It seems that when you try to activate your 4G phone in a non 4G area the phone looks for 4G to make the connection. When it can't, that's when you run into my problem. My Verizon person got into my phone by using the "touch 4 corners of the android start screen", got in and changed from 4G connection to CDMA. Then was able to activate my phone. He said he had sent in an email to main help support so that they could use this method. I guess they haven't read it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by tazaj View Post
    I received my Bionic and tried to activate it. I spent 2 hours trying the method from the instructions, that didnt work. I was on the phone with verizon help support for most of Friday night. The technician, after a couple of hours, just suggested that a new SIM card was needed. He sent my order to my local Verizon store so that they could install it. When I arrived and told the help person my problem, he said he had run into this problem many times. It seems that when you try to activate your 4G phone in a non 4G area the phone looks for 4G to make the connection. When it can't, that's when you run into my problem. My Verizon person got into my phone by using the "touch 4 corners of the android start screen", got in and changed from 4G connection to CDMA. Then was able to activate my phone. He said he had sent in an email to main help support so that they could use this method. I guess they haven't read it yet.
    I live in a non 4G area and have activated about 7 4G phones with zero issues....none at all.....must have been something other than that....I have activated 5 charges...a rezound and my bionic.....I did have to get a new sim card once....the bionic was down for a day so I fired up my old storm and from what I was told....if you replace a 4G phone with a 3G one it kills the sim card.....

Default Re: Activating Bionic problem

Quote Originally Posted by tazaj View Post
    The same thing happened to me. I bought it in a store and refused to leave until it activated - the technician insisted that it takes up to 30 minutes, and in the meantime connected me to the public WiFi in the Starbucks next door(!) to go through the setup.

After 45 minutes and still with no data connection, he took the phone into the back of the store and came out about 10 minutes later with it activated - he didn't tell me what he'd done while he had it. (It wasn't the four corners of the screen because all of my data was still on it, including apps I had installed.) It so happens the store was in a non-4G area (it's now in a 4G area), so that may be right.