App to keep my Bionic from randomly turning off?

SweetSaudade

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Just got my "like new" bionic about 2 weeks ago (aka replacement phone #7) and yesterday it started shutting itself off randomly. The scary part is that one of the times it did it was during the night..and I need to use this as my alarm clock.

There are 2 possibilities of causes that I can think of.. 1) I am in the process of conditioning an extended battery (supposedly OEM) that I just got from Amazon (I had gone through 1 full charge/die/charge so far when this started happening) and 2) I installed and played Angry Birds Space.

I have since put the original battery back in to see if it could be a problem with the battery. I'm really hoping it's not Angry Birds Space because I am rather enjoying it.

Right now replacing the phone isn't a huge option because I am burned out with the whole process of that and it is embarrassing that my friends think I have the Midas Touch when it comes to these phones.

Questions:
1) I found that the Captivate actually has an app (Captivate Keep Alive) to keep the phone from shutting itself off - does anyone know of something similar for the Bionic?

2) Has anyone else had this situation with these 2 circumstances (new extended battery and Angry Birds) and had any luck figuring out the cause?

I've been searching online and finding lots of people having the same problem but am not really having much luck finding a solution other than replacing the phone..

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
um... 7th replacement?!?!?!? Um, that just doesn't seem right. When you say "turn off", you're not talking about just the screen blanking, right? You're saying the phone completely shuts itself off?

mbentley3

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Captive keep alive is to keep your screen from timing out if im not mistaken. I cant imaging your getting phones replaced for screen time outs, let alone that VZW would let you get as far as returning a phone for that. So i assume you have an actual issue of your phone restarting or turning itself off. Although on your 7th replacement i would bet its something you are doing that is causing this. Maybe an app that you installed on all 7 phones? Try removing your non stock apps and see if the issue persist. If it doesnt then add your apps back slowly and try to determine if one of them is causing your issue.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

SweetSaudade

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it completely shuts off..

This isn't my 7th bionic.. just my 7th phone since april. I had 2 thunderbolts and 4 samsung charges prior. And they were all replaced for differing reasons - texts going to random ppl, problems getting or keeping data connections, camera issues, random reboots, random muting during calls, etc. I am trying to be very careful what apps I'm putting on them (putting them on slowly, not using ones I've used before) and I don't play around w rooting, etc. So I don't have a clue what I might be doing wrong.

I was falling in love with this phone and thinking I finally found The One, until yesterday.. if I can't trust it's going to stay on that will be a dealbreaker!

SweetSaudade

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
No I haven't... but if it happens again I will. I put the stock battery back in and no shutdowns since. Guess that helps me narrow it down. Contacted the seller of the extended battery on Amazon, maybe it just needs to be replaced. Fingers crossed!

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
ive never had any issues with my bionic, and it is stock. in fact i would go as far to say it is the best phone i have ever owned. and ive owned more than i cant count, even an iphone 4 and several windows phones... you definately shouldnt need an app to keep your from phone from rebooting or turning itself completely off, they dont even make such an app.

i would try formatting it, and only installinf reputable applications, and try to keep the customizing to a minimum, and stick with either stock launcher or LPP or ADW.

SweetSaudade

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Update: well it appears it may have been the extended battery.. I've had the stock battery in for the last couple of days and no shutdowns.

Thanks for all your help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae