1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default My Bionic is broken and being replaced...

Well, over the weekend, my Bionic started shutting off sporadically. I figured it was software related, so I did a factory reset. While I was reloading apps, it shut off on me. Come to find out, lightly tapping on the side of the phone makes the phone instantly shut off. I am extremely upset because I truly hate Verizon's replacement policy. Back in 2005, I had a Razr replaced five times before I finally escalated to the office of the president of Verizon. They finally replaced my Razr with a new one, and I had no further issues. Every replacement they sent me was worse than the original. The same occurred when I had my Droid X replaced last year. My opinion of the Verizon phone replacement service is that it is about as bad as any replacement service around. I also hate that it is going to take two days to get the replacement. I swore I would never request another replacement phone from Verizon. I'm pretty sick over this.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Motorola Droid Bionic 4g LTE - Motorola Xoom Tablet 4g LTE
    And yes, the SIM card from the Bionic works great in the Xoom!
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

I guess it doesn't pay to baby these phones. Mine has never been dropped, always been in a case, and it still only lasted seven months. Maybe I should get that insurance they have been trying to sell me.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Default Re: My Bionic is broken and being replaced...

Make sure you sent it certified and insure it. Verizon and the post office "lost" my phone in transit when mine was replaced with a refurb, and took me a month to get them to reverse the ridiculous $595 they tried charging me

Are you sure that it isn't that your battery is bad? Do you have a spare battery that you can try out to see if it could be the problem?
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

It's the extended battery. I will try the original battery now.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I just put my original battery back into the phone, and the problem went away. How long is the warranty on the extended battery that I bought from Verizon in October?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

ROM
    AOKP JB

I just got a replacement for mine (it wasn't really messed up, but got pretty trashed. Yes, I bought a nice case and screen protector this time) and haven't had an issue. But I'm sending the old one back tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes. It seems that they've gotten better, but I still don't care for this service as much as walking into a store and saying "my phone is broken." "Okay let's see. Oh yes, here's a new one." I had that actually happen one time with a Chocolate Touch (read a crappy feature phone they lose no money over anyways) that wouldn't play sound at all, the guy at the Verizon store just said okay, we'll transfer everything over and here you go.
    There's a new phone that will run Crysis on Ultra at 120 fps on a 2160p display that's coming out 3 months after you buy your next phone.

Quote Originally Posted by freeky1 View Post
    I just put my original battery back into the phone, and the problem went away. How long is the warranty on the extended battery that I bought from Verizon in October?
    I'm not sure - it may be on your receipt. You can also call.

You mentioned that the problem happened when you tapped the phone - maybe the issue is that the battery wasn't securely in position and was being jostled, causing the contacts to disconnect momentarily?

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

I bought a second regular battery with a battery charger and the warranty on that was for one year from the purchase date. Yesterday I replaced the battery (it wouldn't hold a charge for more than about 4 hours of moderate use) and was told that the replacement does not reset the timer! IE: If this one goes bad I need to replace it before September (when the original was purchased). Your extended battery probably has the same warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by epimeth View Post
    I bought a second regular battery with a battery charger and the warranty on that was for one year from the purchase date. Yesterday I replaced the battery (it wouldn't hold a charge for more than about 4 hours of moderate use) and was told that the replacement does not reset the timer! IE: If this one goes bad I need to replace it before September (when the original was purchased). Your extended battery probably has the same warranty.
    Those sound like typical and fair warranty conditions - you purchased a battery with a one year warranty in September, they replaced it when the original went bad, and will replace the new one if it goes bad during the *original* warranty period. If you wanted a one year warranty from yesterday, you get one only when you pay for the battery. Right?

They're not all that expensive on Amazon at the moment anyway: Amazon.com: Motorola SNN5892A OEM XT875/Droid Bionic Standard Battery (HW4X) - Non-Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories (I'd say that there is no warranty on that one...)

Global Posts
    646 Global Posts

All accessories have a 1 year warranty, as i understand it.

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    Those sound like typical and fair warranty conditions - you purchased a battery with a one year warranty in September, they replaced it when the original went bad, and will replace the new one if it goes bad during the *original* warranty period. If you wanted a one year warranty from yesterday, you get one only when you pay for the battery. Right?

They're not all that expensive on Amazon at the moment anyway: Amazon.com: Motorola SNN5892A OEM XT875/Droid Bionic Standard Battery (HW4X) - Non-Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories (I'd say that there is no warranty on that one...)
    I think both sides can be argued. Like you said, I bought it in september and they will replace it as many times as necessary within a year. However, I *am* getting a brand new, in the box product which is guaranteed to work for a year, but not covered by the warranty for the same time period? That reeks of "dodgy" to me....
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I got the replacement phone and it is great. My original always had a spot under the glass that could be seen in bright daylight on a black screen. I put the extended battery in the replacement phone, and it shut off when bumped. I took the extended battery to my local VW store, and they swapped it out. I am back in business!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by epimeth View Post
    I think both sides can be argued. Like you said, I bought it in september and they will replace it as many times as necessary within a year. However, I *am* getting a brand new, in the box product which is guaranteed to work for a year, but not covered by the warranty for the same time period? That reeks of "dodgy" to me....
    If they started the warranty period on batteries over every time they replaced one, people would abuse it by getting the perpetual replacement.

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Also, the haptic "thump" is much softer on the new phone.

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by freeky1 View Post
    If they started the warranty period on batteries over every time they replaced one, people would abuse it by getting the perpetual replacement.

As well they should. Maybe if one of these corporations actually released a quality product instead of hiding behind all of this BS people would start trusting them? Honestly, its thinking like that that lets MS get away with "Oh, we need to make windows so pricey because we know we will lose a lot of money due to piracy."

If the battery BLOWS UP its your own damn fault for releasing a shoddy battery and I damn well better receive a new one. I mean, the battery expanded by literally a quarter of its width. That is unsafe, AFAIK, and I demand you replace my battery considering I have a) never let it overcharge b) have only EVER used Motorola charging equipment, and c) Has ZERO water damage. So, what? I shouldn't get a new one? The battery I paid money for isn't doing its job! I deserve a new one. Not because I am an entitled *****, but because I PAID YOU FOR A PRODUCT THAT PROMISES "X" AND ISN'T LIVING UP TO ITS PROMISE. Hell yea I should be able to replace it every year, on the last year of the warranty!

Should someone who misused the battery be able to do so? No. How can we tell they misused it? Wellllllll... yea... thats a problem.... like I said, "both sides can be argued" :-)