Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 22 of 22
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pappy53
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    pappy53's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,533 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,180 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Bionic or Rezound?

    I have a near-perfect Bionic, and have the opportunity to trade for an HTC Rezound. Anyone had experience with both? Which would be the better phone?
  2. #2  
    hkklife's Avatar

    Posts
    157 Posts
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts

    Default Re: Bionic or Rezound?

    Bionic will have better battery life, voice call quality, RF performance, and has the Webtop feature if that is of any use to you. It also has dedicated microHDMI out, whereas the Rezound has MHL. I personally prefer the simplicity of microHDMI. I also prefer the Bionic's styling and slimmer formfactor.

    The Rezound definitely beats it in screen quality and resolution, along with having a touch more available internal storage. One of the biggest strengths of the Rezound is its superior camera image quality. The Rezound will likely see an official ICS update first and comes with the decent Beats earphones as a freebie. It also can act as a quasi-worldband phone.

    If I had to start from scratch, I'd go with the Rezound. However, I have a lot invested in accessories for my Bionic and it was by far the best LTE handset on VZW prior to the arrival of the Rezound.

    Howecer, I really dislike Sense compared to the latest MotoBlur. From what I've seen so far, the Rezound has am much more vibrant user and ROM community.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Bionic or Rezound?

    I had the rezound for a couple weeks and sent it back....was a great phone but overall I prefer the bionic......
  4. #4  
    Android_Lee's Avatar
    Android Addict

    Posts
    711 Posts
    ROM
    Stock rooted 4.1.2 JB

    Default Re: Bionic or Rezound?

    Honestly, my experience with the Bionic has left me with less than adequate feelings toward Motorola. The phone has been a bit "quirky", meaning little minor issues like sometimes I get a call and the phone only vibrates even when I have ringtone set to maximum, and the same issue with emails. Sometimes 3G/4G drops and I have to reboot to get it going again. I think if I could go back I would have stayed with HTC.
    @Android_Lee
    Galaxy Note III
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 5
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 7
    KitKat 4.4 Stock Rooted
  5. #5  

    Default

    BIONIC runs Foxfi, and the Rezound doesn't.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Motorola Droid Bionic 4g LTE - Motorola Xoom Tablet 4g LTE
    And yes, the SIM card from the Bionic works great in the Xoom!
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Bionic or Rezound?

    My situation is different, but ultimately I am trying to decide between the two devices as well. I was set to get the Rezound but was concerned about the Rezound not playing well with some bluetooth devices (I have a Plantronics Pro), not having Swype as a native app, reports of some battery issues, and I have also seen some people have a problem with connectivity issues. I know there are apps to take care of the Swype concern, but my experience is that when you need an app that is not natively installed to do something, they tend to be quirky.

    What concerns me about the Bionic is that it has known connectivity issues and a bad camera. I know that the most recent update was suppose to address these issues, but I still see people reporting problems in the forums.

    I need a phone that is a phone first with a reliable signal and the ability to get on line when needed. I don't watch movies or use my phone as a mp3 player. I do use my phone to browse the internet while waiting on the kids during their activities.

    I guess what I'm asking is: 1) Is the Bionic as bad as some of the digruntled users say it is? 2) Is the Rezound that much better than the Bionic when it comes to just doing the basics as some would have one to believe? 3) Did the Bionic put it's problems to rest with the latest update?

    Thanks
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    pappy53's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,533 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,180 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Bionic or Rezound?

    After reading some responses, and really looking at the Bionic, I think that is just as good, if not better, than the Rezound. IMHO, it is a bit faster, better call quality, signal strength, and build quality. Rezound screen is some better, but the Bionic screen is fine from an average distance. Anyone that says it is "horribly pixelated" is looking through a magnifying glass. Colors are better on the Bionic screen.
  8. #8  
    luke31's Avatar

    Posts
    569 Posts
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock (for now)

    Default Re: Bionic or Rezound?

    The bionic's screen performs amazing in direct sunlight.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Bionic or Rezound?

    I am leaving my Droid Charge because of an audio issue. I have been happy with my battery life and I don't want to go backwards in that area. The Razr Maxx is out, it is just to expensive for my blood. Spec. wise the Rezound is the closest on paper in battery life. When I went to the Verizon store today, the sales rep. said that the battery life was terrible on the Razr and Bionic. She said she has heard good things about the Rezound. I can easily get a full day, 13 hrs., out of my Charge with battery life to spare in some instances. Is the battery that bad on the motorola phones?
  10. #10  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,531 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,564 Global Posts

    Default Re: Bionic or Rezound?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandermill533 View Post
    I am leaving my Droid Charge because of an audio issue. I have been happy with my battery life and I don't want to go backwards in that area. The Razr Maxx is out, it is just to expensive for my blood. Spec. wise the Rezound is the closest on paper in battery life. When I went to the Verizon store today, the sales rep. said that the battery life was terrible on the Razr and Bionic. She said she has heard good things about the Rezound. I can easily get a full day, 13 hrs., out of my Charge with battery life to spare in some instances. Is the battery that bad on the motorola phones?
    I'm perfectly happy with the battery life on my DROID Bionic, based on my usage patterns. I have both the standard battery and extended battery.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Bionic or Rezound?

    As I read various posts in different threads, its seems as if the rezound, bionic, and razr have suffered from some type of dropped signal problem. It was pretty bad there for the bionic before the updates it seems. I read that Radio Shack quit selling it for a while. I see they are now doing an internet special. Has the connectivity issue and camera issue gotten any better?
  12. #12  
    luke31's Avatar

    Posts
    569 Posts
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock (for now)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandermill533 View Post
    As I read various posts in different threads, its seems as if the rezound, bionic, and razr have suffered from some type of dropped signal problem. It was pretty bad there for the bionic before the updates it seems. I read that Radio Shack quit selling it for a while. I see they are now doing an internet special. Has the connectivity issue and camera issue gotten any better?
    No more connectivity issues here. Camera still not great though, but not too bad either.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Bionic or Rezound?

    This is what kills me with folks that like another phone....I shall not name...and its not the iPhone...lol.

    Some ppl have reported updates have made the Bionic better. Yet some folks still wanna compare it to other phones and say it has all these issues.

    At the same time...the phone they have or like....one thing they say....."try [insert update version here], it makes the phone issues go away" or "its working better after that update"

    Sometimes the hypocrisy is sickening. And the Bionic is STILL on my radar. FM Radio, outdoor viewing, and hopefully Moto's reputation for decent call quality and reception puts it square on my list. I have a Rezound...2nd one....and I dont even use it anymore. I also have a RAZR. I just want another phone on my family plan that I actually like overall.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    pappy53's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,533 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,180 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Bionic or Rezound?

    Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    This is what kills me with folks that like another phone....I shall not name...and its not the iPhone...lol.

    Some ppl have reported updates have made the Bionic better. Yet some folks still wanna compare it to other phones and say it has all these issues.

    At the same time...the phone they have or like....one thing they say....."try [insert update version here], it makes the phone issues go away" or "its working better after that update"

    Sometimes the hypocrisy is sickening. And the Bionic is STILL on my radar. FM Radio, outdoor viewing, and hopefully Moto's reputation for decent call quality and reception puts it square on my list. I have a Rezound...2nd one....and I dont even use it anymore. I also have a RAZR. I just want another phone on my family plan that I actually like overall.

    I can say, without a doubt, that my Bionic is PERFECT since .902 update. Best call quality, best reception, best speakerphone, great battery life, and unbeatable build quality.
    I can say this from actual ownership, not reading a lot of forum complaints and then trashing a phone without ever having one.
    And the G-Nex has had problems out the wazoo, but a huge portion of it's owners say "no problems with mine, so you must be wrong about yours". It has well known reception issues, and build quality is nowhere close to Moto or HTC.
    Right now, if I had a Bionic, Rezound, and G-Nex in front of me and I could take my choice for the same price, I would choose the Bionic. And it will really be a BEAST with ICS!
    Last edited by pappy53; 04-17-2012 at 09:58 PM.
    Thanked by 4:
    jroc likes this.
  15. #15  
    luke31's Avatar

    Posts
    569 Posts
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock (for now)

    Default Re: Bionic or Rezound?

    Quote Originally Posted by pappy53 View Post
    I can say, without a doubt, that my Bionic is PERFECT since .902 update. Best call quality, best reception, best speakerphone, great battery life, and unbeatable build quality.
    I can say this from actual ownership, not reading a lot of forum complaints and then trashing a phone without ever having one.
    And the G-Nex has had problems out the wazoo, but a huge portion of it's owners say "no problems with mine, so you must be wrong about yours". It has well known reception issues, and build quality is nowhere close to Moto or HTC.
    Right now, if I had a Bionic, Rezound, and G-Nex in front of me and I could take my choice for the same price, I would choose the Bionic. And it will really be a BEAST with ICS!
    Perfectly true. With ICS, the phone will be (barring the possible bug) perfect. It really is a perfectly relevant device. And honestly, the newer devices that have .2 GHz speed increases probably won't be blazingly faster than the bionic. It's probably the only Android phone that I have ever owned that I don't mind using stock, even as it is now with Gingerbread.
    Sony Xperia Z1s
    Nexus 7 2012 (16GB)
    Thanked by 2:
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Bionic or Rezound?

    I am wondering if those who are still having problems after the update are not running a stock phone. I was leaning towards the Bionic until I was scared off by the comments on connectivity and the camera. I then looked at the Rezound, but it is something about that phone that I don't care for. Anecdotally and on paper it is a great phone and I probably would be happy with it. I have also looked at the Razr, but it may be too wide for me and I am concerned that it's thinness is compromising the screen. I have read about the Razr screen being fragile.

    I may give the Bionic a try especially if the connectivity issue is resolved. The problems on the Bionic can't be worse than the problems I am having with the call audio on my current phone. I am also going to do some research on the Bionics screen resolution compared to the Rezound, Razr, and Charge (my current phone).

    Thanks for everyones comments!
  17. #17  
    WebOS Refugee's Avatar

    Posts
    252 Posts
    ROM
    Stock, rooted JB

    Default Re: Bionic or Rezound?

    I got a refurbished Bionic for $30 back in January, and it received the .902 update almost immediately, so I can't speak to earlier iterations of the system software. I had to swap that one for a hardware problem with the earpiece, but both it and its (also refurbished) replacement have been solid and reliable. I've never dropped a call and only experienced one data outage. As a former WebOS user I'm definitely drumming my fingers on the table waiting for ICS, but in the meantime I have a phenomenal phone on which I've spent next to nothing.
    Thanked by 2:
  18. #18  

    Default

    I was on the fence between getting a Rezound and a Bionic myself.

    When the Bionic was first released it I couldn't get it then. By the time I was able to afford I had been scared off by the connectivity problems people were reporting. When the Rezound was released I heard nothing but good things about the data connection...until recently, as people have been reporting that the latest update messed up the data connection.

    I currently have a 3G phone and a 4G mifi. Upon giving into the pressure to get a 4G phone from numerous VZW commercials, emails, and mail from the post office, I decided that I was hoing to get either the Bionic or the Rezound because of the standard sized 4G sim im them that's swappable with my 4G mifi.

    I hate Sense, and I have a couple of horror stories that I experiences firsthand with the battery lives on HTC phones, so I ended up pulling the trigger on the Bionic and it will be here in two days. I can't just dump Motorola after seeing how good their phone (Droid 3) treated me.

    Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
  19. #19  

    Default

    RAZR MAXX

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Bionic or Rezound?

    On my 1st Rezound...I had data issues before and after the update. The 2nd one I got already had the update. Same data issues.

    Just know that all these LTE phone can have data issues. The key is finding the one with the least annoying issues for you. For me...it wasnt the Rezound. Wasnt the G Nex.
  21. #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    On my 1st Rezound...I had data issues before and after the update. The 2nd one I got already had the update. Same data issues.

    Just know that all these LTE phone can have data issues. The key is finding the one with the least annoying issues for you. For me...it wasnt the Rezound. Wasnt the G Nex.
    So it was the Bionic? Or was it the Razr?

    Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Bionic or Rezound?

    RAZR. I havent tried the Bionic yet. But it is on my radar if no new phones grab my attention.

Posting Permissions