1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Charge vs Bionic...

Hi all.

I know some of you left either the Fascinate or the Charge to get the Bionic. I have the opportunity to do the same and am considering it.

Two things are holding me back and this is why I am coming to you all for a simple comparison.

The first is the battery life. I have the extended battery for the Charge because I got tired of looking for an outlet. How is the Bionic in real world conditions? I would say that I am a moderate to power user.

Next is the biggie. How do the screens compare? I know it is going to be a drop off between the Bionic and the Charge, but is it huge?

Thanks in advance...

Default Re: Charge vs Bionic...

I actually remember your name from my days surfing either the Fascinate or Charge forums... Can't remember which.

I did the Fascinate, then the Charge. I hated the thought of losing my screen quality by going to the Bionic. I don't miss it one bit, though. This Bionic has been practically problem free. I don't even notice the screen, and you won't either after a day or two. I don't remember the last time I powered this phone off for anything at all.

You won't regret it at all.

Global Posts
    633 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock (for now)

I myself have an extended battery on my Bionic, and I would definitely call myself a power user. By 16 hours of heavy use, my battery is at about 20%. The screen, however, is a more subjective matter. I personally think the charge's screen is over saturated, and the bionic's more natural. The bionic's screen is incredible in sunlight and the outdoors in general due to its brightness. The pixels, however, are a bit more obvious on the bionic's display. Ultimately, it's up to personal preference. The colors "pop" more on the charge, but I think the bionic is more subtle and natural. Performance wise, the bionic is perfect with its dual core processor and gig of ram.
    Sony Xperia Z1s
    Nexus 7 2012 (16GB)

ROM
    AOKP JB

Quote Originally Posted by luke31 View Post
    I myself have an extended battery on my Bionic, and I would definitely call myself a power user. By 16 hours of heavy use, my battery is at about 20%. The screen, however, is a more subjective matter. I personally think the charge's screen is over saturated, and the bionic's more natural. The bionic's screen is incredible in sunlight and the outdoors in general due to its brightness. The pixels, however, are a bit more obvious on the bionic's display. Ultimately, it's up to personal preference. The colors "pop" more on the charge, but I think the bionic is more subtle and natural. Performance wise, the bionic is perfect with its dual core processor and gig of ram.
    I wouldn't ever buy anything without a dual core CPU anymore lol. I've been spoiled...my first smartphone and it's fast as hell .
    There's a new phone that will run Crysis on Ultra at 120 fps on a 2160p display that's coming out 3 months after you buy your next phone.

ROM
    xtrrom 4.6.5

i have the bionic and my husband has the charge. i love my bionic but i must admit, every time i pick up his charge my jaw hits the floor at the beauty of that screen. having said that, there is one feature on the bionic that i don't think i will ever want to be without again - the ability to stand outside in full sun and see everything on the screen.

As a professional photographer of forty years, I have spent most of my life looking critically at images and, in the past 30 years, at screens (if you include when color TVs first came into my life as a teenager, then it goes back to the late 60s). Today, I am VERY fussy about resolution and, equally important, color accuracy. Sadly, the Iphone is the best screen out there, but......well, you know the rest. I DETEST the over-saturated, yellow-green tint of AMOLED, it is simply disgusting. In criticsl, side by side comparisons of my images, I find the Bionic to be quite pleasing and reasonably accurate. It is sharp enough and good enough, for me to have no qualms about showing my work to potential clients. Let your own eyes be the judge though. Go into any Verizn store and do your own side by side comps. View the same images, both color and black and white, as well as text, and see what floats your boat.
    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 (but not for long) or Acer Iconia A500
    Android Addict

ROM
    Stock rooted 4.1.2 JB

My only real gripe about the Bionic is that we are now the "red headed step children" of Motorola. This phone was basically abandoned by Moto after it was released. They (Moto) say we are getting ICS, but quite honestly I really think they (again, Moto) will wait until the last minute and say we're not getting it.
    @Android_Lee
    Galaxy Note III
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 5
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 7
    KitKat 4.4 Stock Rooted
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Thank you all for the input I appreciate the feedback.

I went into a VZW store today and played with it for about an hour (thankfully the wife was shopping and left me alone). It wasn't terrible, or as bad as I remember it (I was very biased when it first came out, trying to be more objective now) at it the very least.

I have decided that I am just gonna play with house money and give it a go. On Monday VZW is sending me a replacement Charge, and I am just going to call them and tell them to exchange it for a Bionic. I have so many days before I have to return one of them so I am going to carry the Bionic and see how I like it. Throw it through all the paces that I would do to any of my phones.

Am I seeing it correctly that you really do not have a fully working ICS ROM as of yet?

Side note PT1: The "redheaded step child" comment scares me a bit. Both the Fassy and the now the Charge have suffered that same fate. The only good news is that if I choose poorly, or it proves out that ICS isnt coming, I have an upgrade in July coming so I will not have o suffer long.

Side note PT2: Orcares, yep I remember you as well from one or both, how is it going?
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,207 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Android_Lee View Post
    My only real gripe about the Bionic is that we are now the "red headed step children" of Motorola. This phone was basically abandoned by Moto after it was released. They (Moto) say we are getting ICS, but quite honestly I really think they (again, Moto) will wait until the last minute and say we're not getting it.
    Abandoned? We got two updates so far, right?

And we're on the Verizon ICS update list.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

I had both the fassy and the charge....the screen is slightly better on them compared to my bionic.....aside from that the bionic blows them away.....only issue that I have with this phone is that when I start typing on the keyboard I don't get the key click til the second key I click.....odd but not a deal breaker.....one thing that I also liked about the Samsung phones is how root friendly they were....bionic not so much......

Global Posts
    410 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9 RC2

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    Thank you all for the input I appreciate the feedback.

I went into a VZW store today and played with it for about an hour (thankfully the wife was shopping and left me alone). It wasn't terrible, or as bad as I remember it (I was very biased when it first came out, trying to be more objective now) at it the very least.

I have decided that I am just gonna play with house money and give it a go. On Monday VZW is sending me a replacement Charge, and I am just going to call them and tell them to exchange it for a Bionic. I have so many days before I have to return one of them so I am going to carry the Bionic and see how I like it. Throw it through all the paces that I would do to any of my phones.
    Im in the same boat as you. My Bionic shipped yesterday and will be in my hands Monday. Worst case scenario Im stuck until January and can upgrade, but after all the problems the 5 Charges I had were plagued by I have nowhere to go but up
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

did they offer you any choices of replacement phones?

Thus far they have offered me a Stratosphere (LOLOLOL), revolution and bionic. I should have taken the first guy up on his offerings which were the bionic, rezound or...wait for it...a Nexus. I so should have snarfed up the Nexus. The lack of SD slot put me off, that and they were going to take my upgrade for it so I would have been locked into it for 2 years. I think the same with the Rezound so I stayed away from that.

With the Bionic they are leaving my upgrade in place.

Global Posts
    410 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9 RC2

did they offer you any choices of replacement phones?

Thus far they have offered me a Stratosphere (LOLOLOL), revolution and bionic. I should have taken the first guy up on his offerings which were the bionic, rezound or...wait for it...a Nexus. I so should have snarfed up the Nexus. The lack of SD slot put me off, that and they were going to take my upgrade for it so I would have been locked into it for 2 years. I think the same with the Rezound so I stayed away from that.

With the Bionic they are leaving my upgrade in place.
    I was allowed anything except the Razr, Razr Max, or the iPhone.

I had been eyeing phones for my wife's line and had a good idea of what I would accept if the trade was offered.

I didnt like the Rezound after using it for a bit at the VZW store. There was nothing really wrong with it, but it wasnt the phone for me. My wife tried it and ultimately didnt like it either

I had a Revolution prior to the Charge and the reception at my job was terrible so it swayed me away from the Spectrum and Lucid as I was paranoid that they would have bad reception too.

Stratosphere and Droid 4 were out as I didnt want a keyboard

The Nexus was out as my main complaint about the Charge was the loss of signal and there seem to be a lot of people on the forums here and elsewhere who complain of the Nexus' constant signal loss.

That left me with the Bionic or the Razr Maxx, (I have to have an extended battery since my job keeps me away from a charger for 8+ hrs a day) and since they said I couldnt trade for a Razr Maxx I went with the Bionic.

My wife has a Razr on the way so if the Bionic doesnt cut it for me, Im going to sell it and her old Dinc2 and go buy a Maxx outright. I also still have my upgrade to use in Jan so there was no extension.

From the overall vibe i get around here the 902 and the upcoming 904 update have really worked out a lot of the quirks that the phone seemed to have at launch. Coupled with Motos rep for having strong radios I think im going to come out pretty well off. I hope you have good luck with yours as well.

Hi all.

I know some of you left either the Fascinate or the Charge to get the Bionic. I have the opportunity to do the same and am considering it.

Two things are holding me back and this is why I am coming to you all for a simple comparison.

The first is the battery life. I have the extended battery for the Charge because I got tired of looking for an outlet. How is the Bionic in real world conditions? I would say that I am a moderate to power user.

Next is the biggie. How do the screens compare? I know it is going to be a drop off between the Bionic and the Charge, but is it huge?

Thanks in advance...
    I too came had the fascinate then upgraded to the bionic (until I got the maxx a few days ago). I also have charge for work. I was afraid to make the jump to a bionic because of the screen concerns but honestly after a while it didn't make a difference. Versus the work droid charge, the bionic was much snappier and battery life was way better. As I carried both bionic and charge, I find that if I didn't use either phone for the day and just running on standby time, my bionic would be about 50 percent at the end of my shift and the charge would be near or almost dead.

Sent from my Razr Maxx