How has the Bionic been holding up?

anon(40232)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Good to hear that its fast to boot. Slow boot times start to get frustrating on a daily basis.

I don't think I've found anything that was slower than my old BB Curve. Piece of junk that was.

Joeyosaurus

May 17, 2012
Visit site
BlackBerry might as well have a crank to start bootloader.

Additionally, most rooted devices have the option to edit boot animation for those with absolutely zero time to spare

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Good to hear that its fast to boot. Slow boot times start to get frustrating on a daily basis.

I don't think I've found anything that was slower than my old BB Curve. Piece of junk that was.

What Blackberry do you have? I've had the BB Curve 8330 then went to the 8530. When i had enough of the crappy battery life on the 8530, I talked Verizon into sending me a BB Curve 9330. When i was able to upgrade a few months later, I went to the Blackberry Bold 9650. Bolds were supposed to be a step up from the Curves but I didn't find that to be the case. The Bold seemed slower to me than my Curves did.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This phone boots up quickly compared to the Blackberry phones that I've had. It took about 2 - 3 minutes for my Blackberry phones to boot up completely which was pretty frustrating to me.

Pretty much everything boots faster than a BlackBerry.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
This phone boots up quickly compared to the Blackberry phones that I've had. It took about 2 - 3 minutes for my Blackberry phones to boot up completely which was pretty frustrating to me.

lucky you. my POS Storm 2 took more than four minutes. gawd, I hated that piece of junk!! hardly any decent apps, too many reboots, slooooow connectivity/internet. I hope RIM goes out of business sooner than later.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I agree with Android_Lee on this one. I bought my Motorola Droid Bionic off of e-bay a month ago and this has been a great phone for me. By the way, I was able to keep my unlimited data plan when I went to this phone. By buying the phone off of e-bay, you may be paying more than what Verizon has it listed as but you won't have to mess with renewing a contract.

There's one piece of advice I want to share with you all. If you already have a phone with a SIM card, you should be able to put it in the new phone. If you don't, go to the Verizon store and buy one. This is from personal experience here. I went from an LG Enlighten (3G no SIM card) to the Motorola Droid Bionic (4G needs SIM card). I had a hard time activating my Bionic through the Verizon site because it said that I had an invalid SIM card number. I went down to the local Verizon store and bought a new SIM card for $20.00. When I installed this card at home, I then called the Verizon customer support site for help getting this phone activated. It only took about 5 minutes and I got someone that was very nice and helpful on this. He said that when you buy these phones secondhand, it is best to have a new card because the old one has the other person's information on it and I guess there is no way to reformat the SIM card for a new person to use this same card.

Cindy
SIM cards are FREE at a VZW store. I can't believe that they charged you $20.00. I would demand a refund.

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I didn't go to a VZW corporate store. I went to one of their satellite stores because that's all we have in my hometown. I figured that it was worth the $20 to get the phone activated and working properly. I live in Vincennes, IN and the closest corporate store is in Evansville, IN which is an hour away.

Joeyosaurus

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Now that sim cards are used daily, most of them are free at any Verizon retailer.

Sorry you had to grab one before Verizon knew what to do with them. They typically charge in store "activation/set up" fees for phone from third parties, so you probably would've been out a few bucks anyway.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I didn't go to a VZW corporate store. I went to one of their satellite stores because that's all we have in my hometown. I figured that it was worth the $20 to get the phone activated and working properly. I live in Vincennes, IN and the closest corporate store is in Evansville, IN which is an hour away.

Satellite store? Or was it one of those authorized retailers?

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Satellite store? Or was it one of those authorized retailers?

All we have in Vincennes are Authorized Retailers. No corporate stores in town

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
All we have in Vincennes are Authorized Retailers. No corporate stores in town

Ouch. Sorry to hear.

PapaSean

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Mine has held up well since I bought it new in sept. I rooted it and unlocked its full potential. Best phone Ive ever owned. I literally use it for everything. Makes a great all in one device. Only thing that will get me to put it down is when vz decides to take away my unlimited. Sprint isnt the only company to still offer it. Dont doubt the smaller cell providers. I will more than likely be signing up with boost by the time this change takes effect.

MrBucket85

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I've got some scuffs at the corners from dropping it on concrete bleachers but other than that it's held up just fine. I don't like cases or screen protectors and I don't regret keeping my Bionic naked.

anon(40232)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Well, the deed is done, and I'll have a Bionic in a couple of days. Not as cheap as I originally hoped, but at least I got to keep my voice and data plan. Looked into Wirefly (they even had a 32Gb model?), but they would have to bump my voice from $39 to $59 to do the upgrade.

What is interesting is the store informed me the Bionic is discontinued, despite still being listed on Verizons site and sold everywhere else, and then tried to move me to a Samsung Charge. Ended up finding another store to do a stock transfer. I know it was rumored to be discontinued earlier, but I wonder if that is now official?

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, the deed is done, and I'll have a Bionic in a couple of days. Not as cheap as I originally hoped, but at least I got to keep my voice and data plan. Looked into Wirefly (they even had a 32Gb model?), but they would have to bump my voice from $39 to $59 to do the upgrade.

What is interesting is the store informed me the Bionic is discontinued, despite still being listed on Verizons site and sold everywhere else, and then tried to move me to a Samsung Charge. Ended up finding another store to do a stock transfer. I know it was rumored to be discontinued earlier, but I wonder if that is now official?

Why would they discontinue the bionic before the charge?

Sent from my XT875 using Android Central Forums

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

I'm glad that they didn't talk you into the Samsung Charge. I was so desperate to get away from a BlackBerry phone that I bought an LG Enlighten off of e-bay. I kept looking at the Droid Bionic phones at the same time I was looking at the LG Enlighten. I got the Enlighten because it was at a good price. While the Enlighten was a good phone, I was not a fan of the slide out keyboard and it just didn't have enough memory in it to meet all of my needs. I always had to move programs off of the phone and keep it on my SD card. That was just getting more than a little bit annoying to me and within a month, I was back on e-bay looking at the Droid Bionics again. I figure that was a sign that I should go ahead and take a crowbar to my wallet and buy the phone that I had really wanted in the first place (Droid Bionic). By the way, I was able to sell the Enlighten on e-bay at a reasonable price.

I haven't heard anything about the Bionic being discontinued either. I figure that if there was anything to the Bionic being discontinued, it would be all over this site as well as the other Android news sites. I'm just sayin'!

Enjoy your Bionic when you get it!

Cindy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol