Bionic #2 needs replacement

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I just got back from verizon. My bionic has been dancing between 3G to 4g to 1x to no data in an area that is supposed to be a strong 4G area and I have already changed out the sim card and still did it even in the store. Since I would be going on Bionic 3 they offered me a LG Spectrum or Samsung Stratosphere (they suggested the Spectrum over the strat). I personally would rather have a nexus but they told me that they don't suggest it due to all of the software issues it has and the complaints (software issues are way easier to fix then hardware so I take that with a grain what they said about the nexus). They said those are my only instore options and anotated my account that they offered me a different phone or call customer service to see if they will give me a nexus refurb as exchange. I probably should be looking on the LG and Nexus forums to see if this is even worth it or to just get a 3rd bionic replacement which I'm not really wanting to do since I will be on bionic #3. Anyone have thoughts on the spectrum? I will probably call tonight to see if customer service will cough up the nexus.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Just got off the phone.......

Nexus will be here monday to replace my string of defective Bionics. Took some time and a few transfers but its a done deal. Guy was really helpful.

rickj832

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Since it is probably a refurb also will it come without a battery and you will need to buy one and also a batt cover? Just curious.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Actually the guy told me on the phone he used a code number in the system that actually gets me the full kit that is a brand new phone (box and all), re-labled as a warranty replacement. So! I will have a brand new nexus with battery/battery cover, cables and all. Just as if I got it from the store. He really hooked me up for going through defective bionics, not to mention because the store anotated my account they offered me new phones and to ask it made it easier. These results are not typical from what I understand, I guess it all depends on how good a day your reps are having.

rickj832

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I hope you get what they promised, your experience seems to be better than most have had with verizon.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
ill find out monday. But all the stars aligned and the moon was in the 7th house for this to even get this far. Again, probably caught them on a nice day.

SnydersWeb

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Wow.. I must admit I'm amazed on how there is so much variance in some of the phones made, don't they do a detailed test during manufacture or do they just crank them out as fast as they can? Thinking the latter. 2 bad Bionics is horrible luck. I'm still running strong on my launch day Bionic and it's solid.

My wife due to bad phones ended up on a Bionic and thus far hers has been strong. First one was Droid X which she misplaced, next was a horrible Droid X that just didn't work well at all, 3rd one had a minor screen defect, they replaced it w/a Droid X2 that had terrible radios (could barely pick up my 802.11n access point in the same room!).

Moto needs to get on it.. bad phones damage reputations.

3rdpig

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I guess we've lucked out. We've now got 3 Bionics in my family and they all work great. Strongest radios and best reception of any smart phone I've ever owned.

Reactions: Ry

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I guess we've lucked out. We've now got 3 Bionics in my family and they all work great. Strongest radios and best reception of any smart phone I've ever owned.

Must be. I had a day 1 bionic and loved it to death. had to get a refurb a few months ago which started to sour my jubilation. Now this. Come monday I will be saying farewell to Bionic for good.

jjsaw5

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Funny I am in the exact same situation. I called the support line last night and talked to a tech who too was very helpful. I am also on Bionic #3 with #4 on the way.

I given three options...

1. Take another Bionic - No cost
2. Take one of the same two phones you were offered and pay 30 for the battery and cover
3. Upgrade early to anything i wanted.

I took another Bionic for now until i can do a little more research into the next phone i get and not jump into something as soon as it comes out or get a phone that is having a lot of issues.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Another problem with this is I have a bunch of accessories for the bionic i need to sell off. ALL of which I still have origional boxes for and the car dock I haven't even used once. If anyone is interested in buying them I have: HD Dock, Standard Dock, Car Dock, Otterbox Defender Case, mini hdmi-hdmi cable. I spent a few hundred origionally on these but not looking to get anywhere near that. PM me if you are interested in some or all. Snyder, since you live an hour away that makes shipping a mute point LOL. 3rd pig, with 3 bionics in the house you could probably use some accessories too LOL.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Funny I am in the exact same situation. I called the support line last night and talked to a tech who too was very helpful. I am also on Bionic #3 with #4 on the way.

I given three options...

1. Take another Bionic - No cost
2. Take one of the same two phones you were offered and pay 30 for the battery and cover
3. Upgrade early to anything i wanted.

I took another Bionic for now until i can do a little more research into the next phone i get and not jump into something as soon as it comes out or get a phone that is having a lot of issues.

Yeah I was fortunate enough to get a sympathetic tech who was willing to get me a nexus. Just waiting for confirmation email later today (he said it had to go through his superviser but didn't see an issue since I was promised one in store if I called the *611).

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm awaiting a replacement for my second bionic, as well. The darn thing can't hold on to 4G very well, far too often. I know that a Bionic CAN hold 4g well, because my current phone worked well for many months. and my wife's Bionic always holds 4g tenaciously and she's had it since october.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Just got shipping info so looks like it got the needed approval for the order. New Nexus will be here monday via FEDEX. :)

Looks like Snyders has interest in my Bionic HD and standard dock but nothing set in stone yet. Still have a unused car dock and otterbox defender case. Debating about holding onto HDMI-MiniHDMI since my wife's Droid 3 can use it.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Must be. I had a day 1 bionic and loved it to death. had to get a refurb a few months ago which started to sour my jubilation. Now this. Come monday I will be saying farewell to Bionic for good.

This right here is my experience, as well. :( My day 1 bionic had the screen die on me. That phone and I went through hell and back and I loved every minute of it. The replacement I have now the screen SUCKS. This reminds me of when the bionic first came out how polarized people were about the screen. I see why now...they literally have NO quality control that I can see. The screen on my launch day Bionic was great until it died. This new one....holy snikes. Terrible. Short answer to that is that I'm morally opposed to the locked bootloader (I really thought I could live with it but honestly, just, no) and now with the screen on this new one....well, I'm grabbing an S3 developer version as soon as it's released. Sorry, Moto...I love you to death, but, I can't do it anymore. I got to play with a coworker's S3 and quite frankly, I really can't wait. So yea, anyway, I really don't blame you one bit and I will also be saying goodbye to the Bionic soon.

BasPilot

TheSickAndTwisted
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Since it is probably a refurb also will it come without a battery and you will need to buy one and also a batt cover? Just curious.

I don't care how it turns out, because the idea of getting the phone without the battery and the back of the phone was REALLY funny to me.

And by saying I don't care, I hope it works out well for you and all, just looking at the humor!

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't care how it turns out, because the idea of getting the phone without the battery and the back of the phone was REALLY funny to me.

And by saying I don't care, I hope it works out well for you and all, just looking at the humor!

No worries lol. But they are sending me a brand new Nexus like I got it from the store so battery, cover, cables and all.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Alright, for those looking to buy my accessories there is someone buying the whole lot. I did come across a second otterbox defender while gathering the items so that is available but the 3 docks (HD, Car, Standard), HDMI cable and one otterbox case are spoken for. i know a few of you wanted one or two items but i honestly needed everything gone since it would be collecting dust and would be a waste of a few hundred dollars. If someone is interested in the second Otterbox case let me know.